• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What can I do to up my GPU and CPU perfomance to the max? I'm still

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

I have a few question since I've gotten my new G1 Gaming 970 I've been doing a lot of system tweaks.The biggest issue I have is that I am still not satisfied with my scores on 3DMark. I really don't know but I think these scores are pretty damn decent considering the hardware I am working with. All of that being said I am still having issues with clocking my GPU and getting it stable. My last few attempts at pushing my GPU clock and MEM +125/200 have resulted in grey screening. How much of a voltage boost is required for that to become stable? I've been working on the CPU getting it at @ 4.2Ghz on near stock voltages but I wonder how far can I push it on air.

My 3DMark assessment

FireStrikeScores.jpg

I'm already aware that it's not an Intel so please don't respond with BUY AN I7......not going to happen at this point in time.

So what can I do that I am not thinking of

Your rig is right inline with where it should be considering your components. We would need a full list of your components to offer more help in pushing your system.

Motherboard
Memory speed,timings, brand
CPU temps, cooler, voltage
Monitor resolution
Ect, ect...

A little more pushing but something I've done has dropped my combined score.

Mobo: Asus M5A99FX Evo r2.0
Proc: Amd Fx-8320
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB Timings I think are 8-8-8
CPU Temp@ Idle 30c
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.
GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB
Monitor Resolution 1920x1080 60hz

FireStrikeScores2.jpg

Not the greatest hardware but it's what I'm working with at the moment

:( I wanna break 10,000

Im going to bed now

To break 10,000 you would need to overclock that 8320 to 5.0ghz. I'm not a AMD guy so I don't have any experience with bulldozer chips but plenty of people on this forum can help you. I don't know if the motherboard will happily supply that much juice and that could be a limiting factor.

The ram could also be bumped up to at least 1866mhz. Try something like 9-10-9-1t @1866mhz with 1.6v

The gpu would need at least 100+MHz Oc also. There is threads on this forum that can help you reach that on your new 970.

You are going to need to overclock your system pretty heavy to reach your goals.

lets look at a few things first please.
ram, kind of ignore it, 1600 will be fine to game on, faster buys you from 0%-1% don't bother with it.
you need to clock the cpu, the cpu/nb and the ram will clock right along with it, you're at 4.2, you need to be at around 4.4-4.5, do that with the bclk, raise it 5 at a time and then bench it till your clock reaches 4.4-4.5 then get the clock stable with vcore and a little ram voltage, raising the bclk will also raise the cpu/nb and ram clocks all at the same time.
after you get it stable and benching where you want it, cut 4 cores off, most games can not make use of more than four, or better yet cut 4 cores of right from the start.
I think unigine valley and heaven benchmarks will get you closer to your game setup than fire strike.

RAM and CPU-NB clock will actually help a lot in physics tests and you need higher physics to bump this score up.
You won't make 10k on AMD cpu but you probably know that already. On the other hand you are not playing 3DMarks. I doubt that 2-3 FPS difference in most games are really worth to push it.
GTX970 have already high base clock so overclocking it higher won't help much in games even though you will see higher benchmark scores.

Back