• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What causes an “old” computer to slow down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GotNoRice

When XP first came out I remember installing it on several systems with slow hardware with great success. One of the first computers I installed it on was a Pentium2 233 with 128megs of ram, and I remember thinking how well it ran on there. I had another system that was a Pentium3 533 with 128megs of rambus that saw several years of usage.

These days it seems like being on any system less than a ~2.4Ghz P4 with 1Gb ram is like pulling teeth. Even before loading the system up with programs, it will be sluggish for the first 20-30 mins after boot and any little program that runs in the background seems to nearly max the CPU. I’m not sure I could even imagine how slow it would be on some of the older systems that once successfully ran XP.

I understand if a 3+ year old system is slow running new programs, but it seems like a 3+ year old system is slow even just running 3+ year old programs, slower even than it was 3+ years ago. I mean like I’ll boot the system, click on Internet Explorer, and it won’t even pop-up for 5 minutes.

How much of the problem is just windows? I notice that the main issue with many older systems is SVCHOST using 100% CPU after boot for a good amount of time. This appears to be due to Microsoft/Windows Update/Automatic Updates. I’m not sure why exactly it needs to suck up the whole CPU while it scans for updates, or why it’s not smart enough to have the process at idle priority where it wouldn’t bog the entire system, but this seems to be a huge problem with older systems. Pentium3 systems tend to be completely unusable unless you disable automatic updates. Beyond just the SVCHOST issue, random windows services will randomly tax the CPU for seemingly no reason, often maxing it at 100% usage for up to several minutes. I don’t recall having any of these problems with XP back in 2001.

The computer that my father uses in his office seems to be immune from this issue despite being well beyond its prime. It’s a Dual Pentium3 Xeon 550Mhz (w/2Mb L2 Cache each) and 1Gb Reg PC100. It amazes me to this day that the system continues to be just as if not more responsive for office work than even some non-hyperthreading P4 systems I’ve worked on. This is part of the reason I think the “Windows services gone crazy” problems such as the SVCHOST issue is such a big part of the problem – despite his system only having 550Mhz processors, no process can really bog down more than one of them at a time vs. killing the one and only processor on a single-processor machine, even if it overall has more processor power.

Is this all just going to get worse and worse? I know that multi-threaded programs have yet to really take off, but what seems to have taken off is the assumption that all computers have extra virtual/real cores available so the amount of computing power random little background tasks take up has gone through the roof.

Building on the idea that SMP systems, even older ones, suffer less from these effects, would it be possible to somehow set it on a single-processor system where no process can use more than a certain percentage of the CPU?

i used to have the same problem before i started reformatting my computer every 12 months. im guessing its got something to do with the windows registry keys.

Have you formatted the PC in question in the last three years since putting XP on it? If not then 'Windows Rot' can have an affect, and it can be a lot more apparent on older machines than on newer ones.

I prefer Windows 2000 for older boxes like that. You get the same compatibility as XP, just much lighter on resources by default.

Have you turned off all unesccasry services and turned off certain GUI features? I have installed XP on many older systems (installing it now on a PII 350 w/ 128MB ) and all I need to do is just lean down the processes at startup, turn off some things visually, system restore, etc and mine are fine...

Have you formatted the PC in question in the last three years since putting XP on it? If not then 'Windows Rot' can have an affect, and it can be a lot more apparent on older machines than on newer ones.

I prefer Windows 2000 for older boxes like that. You get the same compatibility as XP, just much lighter on resources by default.

Yeah I notice this effect even on systems that are freshly formatted. To keep them responsive I basically have to completely disable all automatic updates, and NOT install windows defender or any anti-virus at all. Otherwise it's like a zerg of background processes choking the computer to death for half an hour after every single boot. I know that it's somewhat normal for some of these things to slow down a computer but I've been loading computers with anti-virus and anti-spyware programs for years with much less adverse impact than I'm seeing now. It's like every background program or process assumes it's the only one, and that it's free to use the whole processor at any time, at normal priority.

Have you turned off all unesccasry services and turned off certain GUI features? I have installed XP on many older systems (installing it now on a PII 350 w/ 128MB ) and all I need to do is just lean down the processes at startup, turn off some things visually, system restore, etc and mine are fine...

I'll usually turn off stuff like System Restore first thing but I don't dig much deeper than that. These boxes are typically boxes I work on for other people and I can't disable too many things without really knowing what they will end up using it for. I certainly didn't have to disable any of that stuff back in 2001 when I installed it on slower boxes, what changed?

Service Pack 2 added a few annoying services, if that is getting installed via Automatic Updates. The Security Center is one of the first things I rip out.

a fresh install of windows is always nice and quick. Not to mention you are probrably use to playing with a very fast computer. If you compare even a budget computer with today's tech, that P2 or P3 will feel like a POS.

ya i think you're spoiled by the current gen of pcs, I feel the same way too.

a fresh install of windows is always nice and quick. Not to mention you are probrably use to playing with a very fast computer. If you compare even a budget computer with today's tech, that P2 or P3 will feel like a POS.

I'd have to say we are used to running modern PCs so when you switch back to an old one that used to be fast it seems slow (like when you are on the expressway going 80 then get off and drive on a country road and go 60. Both are fast but the country road will feel really slow...). Also...if you were installing xp when it first came out there would be less 'crap' on it. The SPs added more stuff and that is likely causing your system to slow down. What service pack are you running on the slower rigs?

Back when XP came out, on a fresh boot with no extra process, it used about 90MB of ram. Today with a fress SP2 install, it uses around 180MB of ram. They have added so much junk to the OS it has made it very dificult to run on older hardware. I work for a small computer repair shop, and 3yrs ago I was upgrading people to 256-384MB ram, now I am recommending at least 512MB if not 768MB-1GB. Ram has gotten cheaper for one, and the systems have gotten a bit more hungry. I had one machine yesterday that had XP SP2 and McAfee Internet Security. On a clean boot it was using 470MB of ram, with about 43 processes. Everything has gotten larger today than in the past. I think software creators are making software less efficient when it comes to RAM usage, since ram these days is cheap. Back with Windows 98 and 16MB ram, programs were made to be efficient on a low amount of ram, but today they dont care how much it uses.

Otherwise it's like a zerg of background processes choking the computer to death for half an hour after every single boot.

For the swarm!

My 3.2GHz G0 q6600 is faster than my Athlon 64 2800+ by a good margin, though its not enough to make me batty. I also reformat my C drive (only windows on it, nothing else) and reinstall religiously every 3 months, and I lean it out as soon as I see a desktop.

Also if you want more life out of it, have you considered installing Ubuntu?

The boxes I work on, tons of various configurations; I usually do fresh operating system installs on them with all the latest updates. It’s not just Microsoft stuff like Svchost; I just worked on a box that had a Radeon 7000, so I installed the latest drivers with catalyst control center. Later on I noticed that it takes a good 90 seconds for catalyst control center to load while it has the processor pegged at 100%. This was on a 2.66Ghz P4, which really isn’t even that old! Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware scanners all seem to run their scans instantly upon system boot which only exacerbates the problem.

Microsoft is a huge part in it as it seems to be background processes slowing things down more than anything but it’s also an attack from every angle with every program that used to be lean and simple now running stuff in the background all the time bloated, tray icons, toolbars, etc. Even programs like Acrobat reader, Java, logitech mouse drivers, HP printer drivers, etc. I can only assume that is because they just assume everyone has the CPU power available.

To an extent you can just never upgrade to newer programs but like with windows, you pretty much have to stay current with the updates and it doesn’t really make sense to install older versions of drivers after a fresh install.

Why would ATi release something so bloated that it takes 90 seconds to load on a system that isn’t even really that slow? Why would microsoft make their update scanner via Svchost so processor intensive as to completely disable older systems while it scans the system? It just seems silly that in many cases these things are actually forced on people, or you have to upgrade to stay current with updates, etc, when the hardware requirements of the primary task they perform with their computer (word processing, etc), hasn’t changed.

It’s pretty silly having to tell someone they need to upgrade, not because they do anything they didn’t do 3 years ago but because of automatic updates, the virus scanner, etc.

i rarely let programs search for updates automatically. especially non-crucial things like printers and mice. if it aint broke, don't fix it.

my P4 2.4 laptop took a good 3-4 minutes to start up and calm down. my new system (in sig) is completely usable after about 4-5 seconds of being on the desktop. i'm trying to keep it that way. the only thing that runs on startup right now is AVG which does a low priority system scan and searches for virus updates.

I don't know what causes an old computer to slow down, but I do know it can be prevented (on XP at least) if you're "nice" to the machine.

I recently reformatted my parents box (1.8GHz P4 Wilamette :puke:, 1GB RAM ) after 5 years and it went from running like crap to running like the day they got it. Even after installing all the Windows updates and antivirus it still performed very well. Its been only 3 months since reformatting and it still runs really well -- not a speed demon, but not torture to use like it was pre-format.

My own box (2.1GHz Athlon Barton, 1.5GB RAM) hasn't been reformatted in 3 years and runs smooth as silk (I use a much faster system at work that was reformatted a month ago, and it isn't noticibly "snappier"... just faster at compiling and other CPU-heavy tasks). Furthermore, the reformat 3 years ago didn't help performance almost at all, so I probably could have had my box running since I originally installed Windows 6 years ago without much performance loss.

What's different between the two systems? Hardware differences aside (since they aren't that great), all I can think of is that I baby my system. I don't visit risky websites, I don't install a lot of programs, I try to uninstall (and then run registry and tempfile cleaners) old programs to ensure I've got some diskspace free, I keep a very close eye on my running processes (I know what all 47 of my currently-running processes do), I try to keep an eye on my RAM (537MB of 1.5GB at this moment), etc.

JigPu

Back