• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED What do you guys think of FrozenCPUs custom cases?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Masahiro

Hi guys I'm new to the forums. I've been visiting here on and off for the past month and a half for help with my new computer and tips, your posts have been extremely helpful with a number of things.
So as a quick overview before I bring up my topic, right now computer specs are as follows (by memory, at the office and comp is at the shop right now):

i7 960 Oced to 4ghz
Thermaltake Frio OCK
6gb G-Skill Ram
Asus Sabretooth motherboard
2x Gigabyte GTX 580s
OCZ Vertex 120gb ssd
2 500gb Samsung hdds
Lian Li ArmorSuit PC-P50 Chassis
Thermaltake 1000W power supply
*NOTE: I know my cpu is a major bottleneck here, it will be addressed with Ivy Bridge :p

Now as much as I love that thermaltake frio for being able to keep the processor below 48C even under load...it's loud. I've been interested in watercooling for a long time for:
a) More energy efficient (at least I believe, could be wrong)
b) Less noisy
c) Keeps the system cooler
d) Let's be honest, it looks kickass.

Going forward I'm planning to upgrade to the Ivy Bridge platform (keeping mobo though) when it comes out early next year. The thing is I live in Dubai, so it's a little hard for me when it comes to getting liquid cooling parts other than things like the corsair h80 and h100 and that kind of stuff, which honestly from what I've read here is mediocre at best. Now I was over at FrozenCPU and noticed their custom pcs and it got me interested. The custom dual loop XSPC H1 cube looks like it should be able to handle almost anything you throw at it:

XSPC H1

If you don't feel like clicking the link I'll give you the quick version:

Comes with the XSPCH1 Cube Case, 4XSPC H1 Bay Covers, 2 XSPC D5 Pump Ready Reservoirs, 2 Swiftech MCP655 variable speed pumps, 4 XSPC RX360 radiators, 12 Noiseblocker XL1 fans, Swiftech Apogee XT Rev 2 block, fittings, tubing, and 4 liters of Feser Non-conductive fluid.

Now that's all for 500 bucks, which seems fairly reasonable given what it comes with, maybe slightly overpriced but still not outrageous. What do you guys think of this setup? In addition I'd also end up buying GPU waterblocks (maybe danger den because I've read good things about them) for my 580s. Will this rig be able to handle a high OC for 960 and later an overclocked Ivy Bridge without breaking a sweat heatwise?

On another note they have another rig using the Corsair 800D
Link
What I don't understand is why it's so much more expensive?? It might be that the other case is really cheap and I'm not noticing something important, but i really don't get it. Can anyone explain it to me?

Thanks guys for past and future help

Add the H1 to your cart for the REAL price: $1690. Not sure what kind of BS Mark is trying to sling with the deceptive pricing.

The 800D is priced correctly.

You're really better off building your own loop(s) that directly apply to your needs, than buying a generic package deal with a case.

And then it all made sense...hmmm this begs reconsidering.

I'd like to find something like this, I know buying and building my own is better for me. So tell me then, if I were to just grab the same cooling components they used (the rad, reservoir, tubing, pump) and made two separate cooling systems, one for cpu one for both gpus, would that work?

And then it all made sense...hmmm this begs reconsidering.

I'd like to find something like this, I know buying and building my own is better for me. So tell me then, if I were to just grab the same cooling components they used (the rad, reservoir, tubing, pump) and made two separate cooling systems, one for cpu one for both gpus, would that work?

Definitely doable, but if availability is an issue you haven't really solved much. Have you read the sticky up top?

OP: Yesp, you can't just buy the stuff and think you know how it works etc. Start at the sticky, read for a few days, then delevop a plan and we'll do our best to feed you the info, in conjunction with your hard work and reading.

Don't even think about building a parts list for a few days, you have a LOT to digest.

OP: Yesp, you can't just buy the stuff and think you know how it works etc. Start at the sticky, read for a few days, then delevop a plan and we'll do our best to feed you the info, in conjunction with your hard work and reading.

Don't even think about building a parts list for a few days, you have a LOT to digest.

Like I said I've been reading through this forum for the past month and a half, so I've read through all of it before. I understand how it works and what I need to have etc. My concern was that I had thought that
a) a ready built kit like that from an online retailer would have included good parts, saving me time from having to weed through a website and
b) be slightly easier in terms of assembly because I'm not necessarily sure my case will fit what I have in mind.

My plan currently is to have 2 separate loops, one which feeds to the CPU alone and one which feeds to the GPUs. They'd both run on 120.3 rads to be safe and ensure going forward that if i change processor/gpus it will be able to handle it easily. As for which kind of rad I was thinking of getting 2 RX360s based on reviews, but I'm assuming I'd only be able to fit one in my case. When I get my pc back I'll take photos.

Reservoirs I haven't given much thought to admittedly but that doesn't seem like something that requires too much research. As for the pump I was thinking of just getting the swiftech mcpp 355 or 35x haven't really chosen between them. The only issue for me now really is just figuring out how to get the parts here, might see if my computer shop can order for me. I'm just hoping it won't be too hard to fit 2 of everything onto/into the case.

Is there any good reservoir/pump combos that are worth mentioning out there?

The parts are where I needed a bit of input though, the blocks. The CPU block would be the EK supreme hf, but I don't know about the GPU coolers. Does anyone have any reccomendations? I read a review that the danger den for 580s was really good, but that's all I've seen?

a) a ready built kit like that from an online retailer would have included good parts, saving me time from having to weed through a website and
b) be slightly easier in terms of assembly because I'm not necessarily sure my case will fit what I have in mind.

Is there any good reservoir/pump combos that are worth mentioning out there?

The parts are where I needed a bit of input though, the blocks. The CPU block would be the EK supreme hf, but I don't know about the GPU coolers. Does anyone have any reccomendations? I read a review that the danger den for 580s was really good, but that's all I've seen?

a) not necesarrily, trust but verify if you know what i mean
b) a valid concern, though aquatuning does make radiator templates available and every mfg releases specs on rad size down to the mm, so if you're meticulous it's easy.

There are a couple, restops are one, danger den monsoon, as well as the koolance RP series.

Skinnee has a 480 review up, should be pretty close to 580 performance except from swiftech, who totally redid their design.

Great. So on your heat load. That massive setup, 4 RX 360's? You sure don't need that. You done your heatload calculations?

We deal with LOTS of folks here. We have no idea what research you have done. Could be 13 years old and clicked on fun stuff and perused the stickers, meaning opened them and said too much work.

So to assume you did your homework, you should be able to build a parts list. Please post it, we'll 'bless' it and you can move to the build.

The final equation, it's your stuff, you'll get what you want. Your ability and common sense, plus some patience 5x will make a good rig.

I like Swiftech pumps. All Laing. The 35x is overkill for two loops. Get two MCP 355 and do a res for each. Ohh, I forget, you know this. You replace the top on a 355 with aftermarket, EXCEPT the 35X top, you void your warrenty. Guess you missed that. You need a new top on the 355, because it's native 3.8" ID. it will work, but not popular. But you know that.

35x are noisy at top speed. I use my mobo to control the PWM signal, I run just one. Two 35x will need a fancy/expensive setup to auto control the pumps for loads. Seen some nice pro rigs with the $200+ for pump and fan control. MCP 355 with the XSPC restop worked great for me, still have them in a box. But the pump warrenty goes out with those tops. POOF....

I'm sure you read this thread from beginning to end...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686450

On the GPU blocks, you know about Skinneelabs.com? And Xtreme Systems? And the problems with older EK blocks, where the EK reps hang out.

............................. And your case is probably too small.

I am a pain in the hiney, but I tell it how it is. I'm mutant.

This link, the words, will help you focus.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

Last edited:
Add the H1 to your cart for the REAL price: $1690. Not sure what kind of BS Mark is trying to sling with the deceptive pricing.

I was just looking at the pricing and I believe the $499 price is just for the case without any of the cooling parts. The rest of the price is for everything else.

Hey again yeah I've given up on those custom cases. Anyway I've put together my list of parts and wanted to see what you guys think. Essentially I'm going to get the EK HF cpu block, 2x 120.2 EK-Coolstream XTs, Laing D5 Vario pump, EK-D5-X Res, the EK FC580 GTX Nickel blocks x 2, a EK-FC bridge, and the needed fittings. Also because I don't think my case can comfortably accomodate the setup, I've gone with a Fractal R3 in White as the case to fit the rads. Only slight drawback obviously is no window to see it, but I'm looking for a more silent setup than a flash one, so I don't mind.

Opinions?

Umm sorry about the mini rant, but many assume so much without knowing enough. Two 580's is a LOT of heat.

Your sorely short on raddage. If you want silent, and plan to OC, please look at the DT sticky up top, do the math. For silent, I'd go no less that two 120x3 rads. Minimum is 120x5 in total just to keep it cool.

Your looking at 750+ watts under max load, 600 watts under gaming loads. You overclock, go back to 750 watts of heat, maybe 800 if you push it.

You should be fine on the D5 Vario, but why it instead of the 35x pump? Better pressure, you will have a lot of stuff in one loop.

Thanks for the reply, and no worries about the rant, I can understand where you're coming from. You think that even if I don't plan to overclock the GPUs you think that a 120.2 rad isn't enough? If that's the case then I'll upgrade to a bigger case to accomodate the larger rads. In terms of the case what cases would work? I've been looking between the Zalman GS1200, Thermtake Level 10 GT and the HAF along with the corsair 800D. Thing is that I don't want to spend too much money on a case given the increased cost of larger rads.

Opinions?

Also the pump is because I've become friends with the guys that owns the company that distributes EK products here so I'm getting a pretty good deal on pricing.

Physics and money have no realality correlation.

You want bling, great temps, you go water cooling. And watercooling is only stage 2 of 4, unless NASA has something new................

Your pump comment. Good, get free stuff.

I have met Eddie in RL also, nice guy. I am using a EK CPU block donated to the XS party by way of Eddie/Fugger at the XS 2011 party.

I don't know Eddie, I'm overseas but I'm gonna guess he's similar to the person I know lol. Here's my conundrum right now: Thing is I do not plan to overclock the gpus NOW, and into the foreseeable future simply because there won't be any need to for me in terms of how I use my rig. All I want is for it to play anything I throw at it, and do it quietly. Additionally, it's being played on a 50inch 1080p led tv, so I'm not pushing the graphics cards very hard in terms of pixel processing either. I won't deny I am a power freak and want to max everythign out, but at the same time only up until a point before it becomes excessive (which to an extent I'm sure I've crossed already). Given this, do you still believe that the 2 2.120 radiators will be insufficient? I'm goign to assume that this is still a yes lol

Given that, my question all boils down now to a case. And right now for me it's between a HAF X and a GS1200. I know that the HAFX is well known for being a great case etc, but the guy I know is also able to give me a great price on zalman products because of his affiliations. I don't mind spending extra for the HAF if it is that much better than the GS 1200 though. What do you think?

EDIT another consideration that came to mind is adding an extra 1x12 rad to each loop, would that restrict flow too much?

Last edited:
I met Eddie (Edvard Konig and Matjak Krc, I have their business cards and talked for a few hours off and on) in the US. It was at CES, the BIG computer convention in Las Vegas. Think 125,000 people.

Nice folks.

You yourself need to do the math. If you decide 120x4 is enough, so be it. I have watercooled for years and kinda know this stuff, beside writing some of the guides.

Ultimately, you buy what you think is best, and that comes to cases. I don't use a case anymore, I feel they are restricting in the ability to hold what I need.

You sound confident and ready to do it. So why mention any more. Your pennies, have fun. I'm done here. Good luck, post a proper build log in the right thread when done.

Honestly I'm sorry to say this but I don't understand the animosity here. This is someone asking honestly because they're trying to get a better idea of how to do things. This is a forum, where people gather and give their input on it, not just keep pointing them in other directions, saying that they've been doing it for years and just saying go read this is your problem. I did my reading, I tried to understand, and sadly I don't have much time to consistently read every link you point me towards. Instead of just giving me links go just say well given what you want maybe this would work better. Not:

"You yourself need to do the math. If you decide 120x4 is enough, so be it. I have watercooled for years and kinda know this stuff, beside writing some of the guides."

It's awesome you know and equally awesome that you wrote these guides. As a man that knows his stuff you undoubtedly have my respect. But you seem to have forgot the very definition and reason behind having forums. Block me ban me whatever but I'm not gonna bother posting here again.

Last edited:
Honestly I'm sorry to say this but I don't understand the animosity here. This is someone asking honestly because they're trying to get a better idea of how to do things. This is a forum, where people gather and give their input on it, not just keep pointing them in other directions, saying that they've been doing it for years and just saying go read this is your problem. I did my reading, I tried to understand, and sadly I don't have much time to consistently read every link you point me towards. Instead of just giving me links go just say well given what you want maybe this would work better. Not:

"You yourself need to do the math. If you decide 120x4 is enough, so be it. I have watercooled for years and kinda know this stuff, beside writing some of the guides."

It's awesome you know and equally awesome that you wrote these guides. As a man that knows his stuff you undoubtedly have my respect. But you seem to have forgot the very definition and reason behind having forums. Block me ban me whatever but I'm not gonna bother posting here again.

What con is saying is, you need to make a decision as to whether or not 120.4 is gonna be enough for you. If you're going for ultra silence with a good OC, then no, it's not, if you're gonna keep everything stock and are just looking for a temp drop from stock cooling, you're gonna get what you're looking for. We can't get inside of your mind and (iirc) you haven't told us what fans you're using (sorry if you have, I didn't feel like reading back). Regardless what, con is saying is that it's your decision to make. You're not doing something ape**** stupid like trying to run this all on 120.1, so he's not gonna be like "no hey, that's dumb". He's telling you that it's gonna come down to you. Now, if you were to post and be like "hey, my heatload is x, my fans are y, my rad is z, and I'm expecting about a x' dT, does that sound about right to you guys?" We can totally answer that, but without definitive direction it's hard to give specifics (and no one likes doing leg work for the boring stuff, so you'll get a lot more responses if you do it all yourself anyways :shrug:)

You're looking to dissipate at minimum, 650watts. Minimum. As Conumdrum said, that's a 120.5. Roughly. But you should also have a reserve; a safety net. Especially if you want silent operation. If you go with 2 120.2's, you're going to need some seriously high CFM fans. And that means noise. Lots of noise.

So go with two triples that work well with medium CFM 1500rpm fans. You don't have to mount the rads inside a case. You don't have to have an internal build. Get yourself a radiator stand and some form of QDCs if casing is a problem.

If you want suggestions on cases that can contain two triple rads (with or without modding), start a thread dedicated to it. You don't necessarily need a giant honking cube case from DD or MM (or CL). There are options.

If you go with under-raddage, you give up nominal temps and silence. That was Conumdrum's point I believe. Either you do it right, or there's no point in doing it at all. No animosity there, I think he just got tired of banging his head against the wall lol

Sorry, I told you in gentle terms. If you don't agree, then thats fine. The guides are to teach people, so they don't have to be constantly spoonfed time and time again. Better you figure it out than wait for a reply in a forum. We do this a LOT here, and many build awesome rigs without much spoonfeeding, we try to automate the learning process. A few years ago there was pretty much nothing to help new folks.

Sorry your having a bad day or whatever.

I live right next to their warehouse in rochester ny, and let me tell you frozen cpu is my fav place! but the cases look even better up close and in person!

Back