• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Do You Think? An RTS Only Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noname2020x

A buddy of mine was thinking about buying a computer at Best Buy to play some RTS games. Thankfully, I successfully persuaded him to let me build him a computer. (Goody! A new build!)

He tells me he'd like to spend between $600 and $900 on the build. I am close to certain I can put together a build for $600 that will play most any RTS on close to max (other than RTW 2 which is a crapshoot), but I'd like to give him some wiggle room for the future (3-4 years).

He wants a silent case, bluetooth, and wireless lan.

My main concern is the motherboard. I can't seem to find a decent cheap board with bluetooth and wireless lan. Any suggestions on the build? RTS games like to hog GFX memory and CPU right, so I was thinking a quad core cpu is key and a 2gb GFX is good too.
111111.jpg

You guys are magicians.
Thanks!

I'm thinking maybe the second option you gave ATMINSIDE with a different case.

Spend the 20$ and step up to a 290, skip the 280x unless you get it used or ridiculously on sale imo.

Spend the 20$ and step up to a 290, skip the 280x unless you get it used or ridiculously on sale imo.

Cheapest upgrade seems to be ~30 or 35 plus a bigger power supply might then be warranted. Hmmmm

Ended up snagging ATMINSIDE's build with a SilverStone Temjin Series TJ08B-E case and SAPPHIRE DUAL-X Radeon R9 280 video card (the graphics card seemed appropriate for an RTS build at $180. Easily upgraded for the future if needed and solid reviewed card)

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Thats not what he suggested at all. The 290 didn't need a bigger power supply, the 550 was more than enough.

*sigh... your money hombre. That money you spent on your fancy case could have went to a 290 and split the difference and then some...

The 290 isn't just a "little stronger", its a LOT stronger. Your 280 will be irrelevant before the end of the year.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-290-vs-AMD-R9-280/2171vs2241

Thats not what he suggested at all. The 290 didn't need a bigger power supply, the 550 was more than enough.

*sigh... your money hombre. That money you spent on your fancy case could have went to a 290 and split the difference and then some...

The 290 isn't just a "little stronger", its a LOT stronger. Your 280 will be irrelevant before the end of the year.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-290-vs-AMD-R9-280/2171vs2241

Honestly I don't see it as THAT big of a deal. Mainly because I doubt my friend will be playing any actually demanding games. That said, I explained the situation to him, and he said he'd rather just pay more now and not worry about maybe upgrading for a while.

Sooooo, snagged a SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC R9 290 4GB

Back