• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think is dead on friends pc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kai_Force

When you power it on, only the fans spin up, and i felt the HD, it was vibrating so obviously it was on.

I hear no motherboard beeps, or any other sounds, other than the cd rom drives powering up.

Ive tried another PSU on it, did the same thing. I got bored, so i took the CPU cooler off, held my finger on the cpu chip, powered it on, and it NEVER got hot.........something is wrong haha. :cry:

He described how it died to me:
"It just shut off in a milesecond, so i turned it on, and it almost made it to windows, then did it again, and everytime i turned it on it made it less distance towards windows, until finally it never posted graphics."

Im guessing something melted, or the mobo fried.

I would guess that the chipset is fried or Mosfet/Inductor/capacitor melted. It would explain why you are not getting any beep codes, graphics, communication over SATA bus or power to CPU.
I had a very simillar problem with a build I did for a friend. Once I determined that it was not PSU related(ie: changed out PSU, RAM, GFX,HDDs in that machine, then subsequently tested each part them on my test bench), there was only one thing left. Not suprising since there was little to no airflow due to fans and heatsinks clogging up with cigarette tar and cat hair.

Last edited:
Yeah, id have to agree with you, its definitely the motherboard, explains why the ram and heatsinks arent warming up at all.

Would you say just buy a new motherboard, and their is really no chance that anything got fried by the mobo?

Its not like i can test the cpu on any other pc though, im guessing its fine lol

I had a chip explode on the back of a 4870 a few months ago, and it somehome managed to take out a stick of my DDR3 at the same time. You never know what can get surged when a componet goes on you. I would recommend testing each part of the system if you have the means.

Have ya given it a close look, especially the caps? What kinda PSU was powering it at the time?

I found out i had another AMD board lying around, i'll throw the cpu and ram in it 2 see if it works, so no worries hehe

Back