• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think to this ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Unless you don't have the money to do so I would switch that into a C2D rig. As much as I love AMD their getting smashed on by Intel right now. Perhaps something like a E4300/E6300/E6400 and a DS3. You may want more power than that 370w unit you picked.

ok thanks for that... this is only my first thoughts, it will be months until i get it :( I'll look at some C2D's :)

I'd agree with the Core 2 Duo option, plus you're definitely going to want a power supply with at least 500W if you've got two graphics cards and two hard drives. Also, get the Lian Li PC60 instead of the G50, I've got a PC60 myself and you'll have a lot more room to work with over the G50. In the G50 the power supply actually sits over the motherboard and will make your CPU temperatures much higher and give you less room for a large heatsink.

inkfx said:
I just noticed you were buying TWO graphics card. Just get a single card. You can have a 7900GT for like $200 now.

the only 7900GT i can find is £190, thats about $380 :S you got a link ?

Ok, i think ive changed my mind, ive thought long and hard about this, and have now realised that im not going to be playing games that much so i don´t think i need such a powerful gfx card. I have changed some other stuff tho:

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC)
Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Silver Aluminium Case No PSU
BFG GeForce 7300 GT OC 256MB PCI-E
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 80GB SATA II 7200rpm 8Mb Cache 11ms 300Mb/s * 2
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB SATA II 7200rpm 8Mb Cache 11ms 300Mb/s
Abit AB9 Pro Socket 775 PCI-E DDR2 Motherboard
Akasa Ultra Quiet 400W Paxpower Active PFC ATX2.2 PSU - Black Nickel
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 CPU Cooler
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2 x 2.4Ghz 4Mb Cache 1066 FSB Dual Core Processor
YS-TECH FD128025HD 80mm Fan - 4 Pin * 2
YS-TECH FD1225 120mm Fan - 4 Pin

What do people think of this compared to the others above. I know im not gonna beable to get this system for a few months, and things will have probably changed then. but i just wanted to get an idea of what sort of system i should be looking for. The total for this rig is £724 :)

Last edited:
Im having 2 * 80 GB and 1* 160 GB, as i'm gonna dual boot, XP and fedora (1 on each 80GB) and a 160GB for storage and back-ups :)

also, what do people think to that mobo ? its a little bit expensive :S looks good though with dual gigabit lan etc :)
also i like the number of sata connections.. never no when you mgiht need to install extra hdds

Dude, its called an edit button.

7300GT is not worth it, get somthing cheaper like a 6600 or 9700-9800pro

Last edited:
Ok, i've been on the dell site and found a good pc for the same sorta of price, with 20" widescreen lcd.. what does this compare like to the previously metioned pcs:

AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core processor 5600+
English Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic
Dell™ 20" Black Wide Flat Panel
2048MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz [2x1024]
320GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache
256MB ATI® Radeon® X1300 Pro graphics card
16 X DVD +/- RW Drive

What do you all think to this... i would then also but two 80GB sata drives, and a better HS and fan (proberbly an artic cooling freezer 64 pro)

any thoughts?

changing the operating system on a Dell voids the warranty, fyi. And as of now, a new dell comes with vista. Also, you loose a decent bit of processing power switching to the X2. Im sure it would work, but keep in mind that the motherboards and PSUs in dells are not designed for overclocking, and the BIOS will probably be fairly restrictive.

It really depends on what you want to do with the system. I would make sure that you are sure of that before purchasing anything.

Back