• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does "a bad chip" actual means?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jebediah

As noobie i have to ask. Have tried to google it but couldn't find anything except socket, and not chip.
Often when reading in forums and articles you stuble upon the word "bad chip" when it comes to overclocking.
So excactly does it mean?

Is it the socket, NB or SB it depends on?

I know it varies between manufacturer and even from board to board, but is there any analysis which manufacturer has the "worst" chip?

Does it depend on the CPU as much as the mainboard when it comes to OC?

As my wife told me yesterday. Fill me up with your DNA and life

EDIT: Oops, should been placed at Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards
Mod contacted

It means that the CPU takes more voltage to reach the same frequency than the average chip of that model does.

I.E. If you have three CPUs and they run 4GHz at 1.1, 1.2, and 1.4V, the 1.4V chip would be the "bad chip"

Bad chip usually means that it overclocks lower than average.

Or it's DOA, lol!

You have the thread in the right section, but I moved it to the general CPU discussion forum since it doesn't matter what brand you are talking about, the answer is the same.

Thanks for fast reply. But it doesn't cover all of my questions :)
For an example. If i buy a new CPU and have big plans to OC it, but later on notice that it wont go wary far. Could i then reach higher clockspeed with lower voltage with another mainboard?

The word "chip", where does it come from? Is it the CPU itself or is it the mainboard?

You have the thread in the right section, but I moved it to the general CPU discussion forum since it doesn't matter what brand you are talking about, the answer is the same.

Thanks mate.

You could possibly see a slight improvement, but if you put a bad chip in a good board you won't get very far.

The motherboard can play some role in how it overclocks, but I can't think of one where it held it back any appreciable amount.

I'm not sure where the word "chip" comes from, but I'm guessing it has to do with the size or shape of the component. The word specifically refers to a microprocessor, which would be the CPU. There are also "chips" on a motherboard, but it isn't the motherboard itself.

A good board will help reach very high OC with AMD Phenom cpu's: you might grab a couple hundred more GHz.

They are mandatory with AMD Bulldozer's/Piledriver's: a low end board might not even allow stock clocks and you need a VERY GOOD mobo to reach 4.5GHz+.

Much less critical with Intel SandyBridge's/IvyBridge's/Haswell's, unless you want to go sub zero.

Back