• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does Degauss do exactly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
...here we go...

"To remove magnetism from a device. The term is usually used in reference to color monitors and other display devices that use a Cathode Ray Tube (CRT). These devices aim electrons onto the display screen by creating magnetic fields inside the CRT. External magnetic forces -- such as the earth's natural magnetism or a magnet placed close to the monitor -- can magnetize the shadow mask, causing distorted images and colors."

http://webopedia.com/TERM/d/degauss.html

Degaussing resets the magnetic field inside your CRT. Normally you should never need to use the function, but if you ever start to see wierd odd shaped colors on your screen usually pink then you need to Degauss.

If you want to see how it works, turn your monitor on its side and turn it on. Since different magnetic fields will be hitting the CRT in different locations, there is a good chance your monitor's picture is going to be completly messed up. If you then Degauss the monitor, you will begin to see a better and better picture each time you do it, untill the monitor is calibrated ffor the new magnetic field. You will also need to Degauss if you move across the globe, since you will now be in a different magnetic field.

cack01 said:
If you want to see how it works, turn your monitor on its side and turn it on. Since different magnetic fields will be hitting the CRT in different locations, there is a good chance your monitor's picture is going to be completly messed up. If you then Degauss the monitor, you will begin to see a better and better picture each time you do it, untill the monitor is calibrated ffor the new magnetic field. You will also need to Degauss if you move across the globe, since you will now be in a different magnetic field.

How about you do it and take pics for us :D

Interesting info but I sure dont want to test it out.

JT

cack01 said:

Degaussing is not an iterative process. If you need to do it, you only need to do it once.

Also, there is a bit more of a need to degauss than you imply. Most modern computer monitors will degauss every time they power up.

theELVISCERATOR said:
demagnetize....you can degauss anything magnetic with a 60hz AC field.

That is what you are doing by hitting the deguass button. There is a large loop of heavy wiring than encircles the opening of the bezel. It is simply a coil energized with 60Hz AC.

In olden days (before they were commonly integrated into monitor designs) I used a RS cassette tape bulk eraser to degauss.

larva said:
Degaussing is not an iterative process. If you need to do it, you only need to do it once.

Also, there is a bit more of a need to degauss than you imply. Most modern computer monitors will degauss every time they power up.

You are right in theory, but sometimes things never go to plan. A member of another forum I belong to switched his monitor from a vertical setup to a horizontal one. It took him multiple degausses for him to have a normal picture. This was probably due to a faulty degaussing coil circuit which to my limited knowledge is mainly a thermistor, but it goes to show that crap sometimes happens.

After thought: In the near future if anyone wants to wipe a hard drive try placing it on your monitor and degaussing it. Harddrives have a decent amount of shielding, but it wouldn't suprise me if it works.

i heard you need an extremely powerful magnet to mess up a hard drive, like any normal magnets you have around couldn't harm it

If you turn the monitor on it's side and then degauss, and then turn it back, the colours will be funny. We do this to the school monitors and they dont know what causes it. :)

Back