• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Ebay dealer or other place to buy a GDM-FW900 from?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spoudazo

So seeing this thing is huge, I want to (as much as possible) ensure it'll be a good GDM-FW900 so I won't have to worry about returning it.

Since there are some people around here using the GDM-FW900 24" Sony CRT monitors, what Ebay dealer or online store do you recommend to buy one of these elephants/CRTs? :bday:

I found this one, and several others :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/24-SONY-HP-COMP...ryZ99235QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ahhh, found this post,
twoeyes said:
Was browsing ebay and saw a guy selling 50 of these babies for dirt:

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-SONY-GDM-FW9...86961434QQcategoryZ116350QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anybody know anything about those monitors? I'm very tempted to buy CRT + BIG + free shipping = TEH WIN but i'm hesitant... Tried light googling for reviews not much luck.

Last edited:
I bought mine from the first seller you listed (ruminahui2) unfortunately it looks like he's only selling "grade b" models anymore because they all have scratches on the antiglare coating which you DONT want.

Mine was described as having absolutely no scratches on the glass or antiglare in his auction (and thankfully he was right).

I would recommend a specific seller but its just not that easy on ebay.. I would just go for one that has good feedback and offers returns or exchanges for another if the monitor is bad.

The problem with this monitor is that its heavy and bulky and tends to get damaged in shipping due to poor packaging or by being mishandled by ups/fedex etc.

The seller packed my monitor so heavily it looked like a small appliance was being delivered to my house ..the box was huge and had been packed with a lifetime supply of bubblewrap. (pic of it here). I couldnt even get it through my back door and had to take it out of the box outside then carry it in :beer:

Last edited:
lol

Man, that's sorta annoying (that is, if it got damaged in shipping). I'm gonna check the local papers and see if there are any schools, businesses, etc. that have these for sale, who knows. :)

That was my thread you quoted there, and as you can see from my sig I eventually bought one but not from that guy, the guy I ended up with was selling the silver version which i really wanted (much nicer looking imo) and he did not appear to be a giant seller of the item (only had 1 available) I ended up paying $380 with shipping.

It arrived in GREAT condition, I have a few minor splotches on the front bezel but other then that its gorgous (a few of the spots even wiped off).

I love this monitor its great to watch movies on.

twoeyes said:
That was my thread you quoted there, and as you can see from my sig I eventually bought one but not from that guy, the guy I ended up with was selling the silver version which i really wanted (much nicer looking imo) and he did not appear to be a giant seller of the item (only had 1 available) I ended up paying $380 with shipping.

It arrived in GREAT condition, I have a few minor splotches on the front bezel but other then that its gorgous (a few of the spots even wiped off).

I love this monitor its great to watch movies on.

Yes sir, I remember you replying to my 1600x1200@100hz question :)

Do you know what hertz it'll do at 1920x1080 (or whatever resolution is best for 16:10)? :) Thanks :D

Well currently i'm running 1440x900@100hz for desktop because I like larger fonts but I just tested it and it runs 1920x1080 at 100Hz with startling clarity though i had to force it through my nvidia control panel (runs only at 85hz through drivers), but I believe 1080p is a 16:9 resolution so you probably would not run at this regularly (the 16:10 equivalent is 1920x1200 which it runs at 100Hz as well)

One thing you should remember about refresh rates is that in some cases I can run high resolutions at 120Hz or above BUT the thing with CRT monitors is that as the refresh rate increases the overal clarity of the picture decreases in varying amounts (in most cases its not noticable and I've only noticed it when forcing refresh rates above 100hz on high resolutions, so thats probably why - though i didnt notice anything in the above cases), so its better to just use 100Hz or in some cases 85Hz if you cant tell the difference.

Cool :)

The only time I prefer to have 100 or so is when playing a competitive match of something like Counter-Strike or the GoldenEye: Source mod (www.goldeneyesource.com) :D

Thanks for the help and info! :)

twoeyes said:
Man you're all over the place these days :) Hope that works out for you at least

Yeah, I just don't feel like spending that much money, though I'm sure it is nice :)

I thought w/ a CRT I wouldn't have the tearing problem, but I still do (so I enable vsync obviously).

Besides, now I won't have to deal w/ HL2 crashing, as it crashes (for me and many others) if I set it to anything above 60hz w/ vsync enabled. However, it hasn't done it in a few days, so I dunno if it's been fixed. :)

Back