• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CS:S hardware advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Michael Warren

I have been playing CS:S for a little over a year and a half now and I just got on a clan that is in CAL. I am still using my old dell mouse from my old computer and it normally messes me up in important situations. Our CAL season starts in september and I also plan on entering some tournaments this summer. I have been doing alot of research and this is what I plan on buying this monday.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16829102188
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836509102
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826104178
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817114306

The main reason why I am spending alot on the sound card and headphones is that I want to be able to hear people from further distances than I can with my Dell speakers. EAX is supposed to enable 3D audio and the steelpad 5h's are supposed to support 7.1 audio.

Later on this month I plan on buying this monitor and upgrading my GPU
http://cgi.ebay.com/24-SONY-HP-COMP...itemZ8789768764QQcategoryZ99234QQcmdZViewItem

I just wanted some advice from some of you CS:S players to see if I am going in the right path or not with the new hardware that I am buying.

I dont know how much of a difference 7.1 makes over 5.1- I play exclusively 1.6 and use an audigy2 with these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826106392
and it's rediculous how easily I can tell where people are. Any good pair of headphones will do, and really any audigy card supports EAX.

Pick a mouse and mousepad combo and stick with it. Same with resolution and sensitivity, just pick something and always use it. So...if there's nothing wrong with your current setup you shouldn't change it. I use a func 1030 as well, with an mx500, and it's great.

I currently play main 1.6 and source, I would recommend going with a good mouse and supermat. Cheap mousepads make things easy to replace, I have gone through about six and the cloth is comfortable.

For mice, I currently use the mx510, and see no reason in which to upgrade because it never skips as is and I have had it for 2 years :).

Personally, I'd go w/ a cordless mouse. Gone are the days of cordless mouse lag! My MX1000 is fast and accurate, and there's no cord to get in the way :)

Oni said:
Personally, I'd go w/ a cordless mouse. Gone are the days of cordless mouse lag! My MX1000 is fast and accurate, and there's no cord to get in the way :)

Till the batteries die :( - It always seems to happen to me right before that one shot that owns all...so I went back to cord.

i liked what u picked seems good but i love my Logitech G5 for css, i had mx1000 broke on me cause i dropped it once and boom lol, G5 is awesome.

Karbon said:
I dont know how much of a difference 7.1 makes over 5.1- I play exclusively 1.6 and use an audigy2 with these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826106392
and it's rediculous how easily I can tell where people are. Any good pair of headphones will do, and really any audigy card supports EAX.

Pick a mouse and mousepad combo and stick with it. Same with resolution and sensitivity, just pick something and always use it. So...if there's nothing wrong with your current setup you shouldn't change it. I use a func 1030 as well, with an mx500, and it's great.
I have heard alot of good things about those headphones. I have a question for you though, can you hear people walking from all over or just in front of you or behind you in short distances? Im asking this because I want to be able to pinpoint people from multiple directions instead of just infront of me or behind me.

Michael Warren said:
I have heard alot of good things about those headphones. I have a question for you though, can you hear people walking from all over or just in front of you or behind you in short distances? Im asking this because I want to be able to pinpoint people from multiple directions instead of just infront of me or behind me.
Thanks for the advice guys, after doing some more research the HD555 looks like the best choice paired up with the Xfi.

I can hear people *running* from all directions :)

I've used pc155's, hd 595s, and hd 555s, and I like these the best. I can really hear the smallest sounds it's crazy...I went from onboard sound with pc155s to my current setup, and it's way better.

Just use whatever mouse and mousepad you feel comfortable with. I started with an intellimouse explorer w/ superpad and switched to mx500 w/ funcpad 1030. I've been using both of these for 3 years now I think, and have no reason to replace them.

Karbon said:
I can hear people *running* from all directions :)

I've used pc155's, hd 595s, and hd 555s, and I like these the best. I can really hear the smallest sounds it's crazy...I went from onboard sound with pc155s to my current setup, and it's way better.

Just use whatever mouse and mousepad you feel comfortable with. I started with an intellimouse explorer w/ superpad and switched to mx500 w/ funcpad 1030. I've been using both of these for 3 years now I think, and have no reason to replace them.
BTW do you use an amp with your HD555's? I did some research and people were saying that they were meant to be used ampless and that they work perfectly plugged right into your soundcard but I just wanted to make sure that they were right.

Yep, I just plug them right into my soundcard. They are really comfortable too, they go right around your ear and it just fits perfectly...if I'm going to be listening to music for a while I'll usually take them with me in the car or something.

I have HD485's, nothing fancy but i can hear people from all around.

I also have a G5, I'm in texas right now so when i get back im going to buy a new mousepad, current one is like a tweety bird rubbery one or somehting like that...

Def go with the G5. I have the G7 and it is amazing. Unless you really need two buttons for your thumb, then stick with what you got.

Good idea to spend a lot on soundcard, don't feel bad. It makes games much more immersive.

But I will laugh at the people that spend money on mousepads, My wooden desk works just fine. Of course I go like 3 and 10 on most maps...

yeah i would go for the g7, although its slightly more expensive.

do you really need a mousemat? i just cleaned my desk so its not sticky anymore :p

The pros use good mouse pads so lots of gamers think they need one. I personally dont see a difference in my gameplay.

In my experiance of CS (4+ years), stereo is the way to go forward. Good call on the Sennheisers. Also as stated; a decent mouse mat is essential. I use a plastic steel pad jobby which works very well with my MX510.

i vote for the mx1000, my friend comes over and uses it and does much better than with his 510
the battery wont run out if you're responsible, it's good for a couple days straight

i always keep a corded mouse plugged in incase i forget though, or to navigate windows while mx1000 charges

I've had my G5 for about a month now, and I'm getting to be in the top half of the deatmatch maps on HL2 Deathmatch. My old Logitech optical was so whack compared to the G5......

Back