• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What editor do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StaticXD00d

I would make a poll, but there are so many editors for so many different tasks out there, I decided not to.

What editor do you use for most of your code writing, and for what type of code?

I use UltraEdit, and honestly don't know how I ever got by without it. Before I used UltraEdit, I used to use Brief. I still use vi in UNIX some... but UltraEdit can seamlessly open files over FTP, so I'm even using vi less and less...

If you haven't checked it out, you can download a trial at www.ultraedit.com. There are text definitions for just about any language you could think of for highlighting, indentation, etc. I use it for C, SQL, Java, HTML and ASP, batch files, shell scripts, and probably a hundred other things.

So what do you use?

I use the MSVS IDE. Its all set up for me and ready to go. On Unix I use Emacs. I don't use Unix very much latly.

I also use Notepad for some tasks. Simply because its simple and won't mess with my text.

Notepad for PHP and VB .NET (web based vapps mostly).

I used to use UltraEdit at my last job and recently have been checking out the ASP .NET Web Matrix IDE, but in the end I always end up in Notepad for fine tuning.

I use Edit Plus for PHP, C, C#, and will probably use it for every other language I pick up and want to use on a regular basis.

for mySQL I use notepad if EditPlus is not already open just because you don't need anything fancy for mySQL

I use Vim for everything (mostly C, Perl, config files, shell scripts, various web languages, SQL, and some Java.)

I use Notepad Plus (the .exe has a 1996 timestamp on it :)) and Homesite for HTML, CSS, XSL, XML, ASP, and JSP development.

For C++ I use Editor 2K. It's a basic text editor with a few language definitions. For HTML I just use a WYSIWYG editor for 90% of the site, and then it's built in HTML editor for tweaking the rest. For BASIC I use the IDE supplied with my compiler (PowerBASIC).

JigPu

xHTML kit for HTML/PHP and Dev-C++ IDE for C/C++.

plain old MS-DOS EDIT for java(much better than notepad, and you've already got it!).

That's about it....

eclipse ide for .java files, vim on the server and pretty much ultraedit32 for everything else.

emacs/xemacs for coding in linux/C++. I don't code much in DOS, I do compile stuff I wrote in linux sometimes, but the changes are minimal, and I usually just use edit.

On windows, I use the editor that comes built into bloodshed dev-cpp.

I use vim or gvim on linux.

Windows kids should check out editplus2 http://www.editplus.com/ if you just want a text editor and not an ide.

grr, how come it's showing up as a link instead of an image?

Anyways, EditPlus owns.

editplus.jpg

Been using edit plus for well over a year and love it, the ONLY THING it is missing is a closed bracket checker, apart from that you can't go wrong with EditPlus

I'm particularly fond of its FTP remote editing. I keep all of my school work on the schools server. I use editplus to do the editing and don't need to worry about uploading copies to test because they're automatically saved there.

UltraEdit will check your close brackets. It will also pair them up for you automatically, or you can select all code between them with one keystroke. It will also automatically indent, outdent, etc., as well as open files via FTP.

Does Editplus let you do column edit/insert/replace/cut/copy/paste? What about an automatic function list?

I'm just curious. I'm not looking for another editor, just wondering what the others will do.

Editplus has Custom fuctions if that is what you are asking, I have
Code:
echo "<table> <form method=post action=

all macroed to one key sinice I always use it.

I genrally only use PHP and HTML in Editplus so my needs are not as vast as others.

Krusty said:
I'm particularly fond of its FTP remote editing. I keep all of my school work on the schools server. I use editplus to do the editing and don't need to worry about uploading copies to test because they're automatically saved there.

ssh + vim > EditPlus + ftp

Back