• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What fan should I use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sa3atsky

Okay heres my story

I'm getting a A64 Desktop 3200+ or 3400+ Clawhammer and gonna overclock the hell out of it

Now, I've looked at all heatsinks and finally decided, the Thermalright Copper Heatsink SLK948U is the way to go..
product_slk948u.jpg

BUT
I'm having trouble deciding what fan to get with it... It supports 80 and 92mm's.. Ofcourse for best performance I'm going with the 92mm

But I'm not sure what to get, I mean I do want a really good airblowing fan but at the same time dont want that much noise..
Whats the best fan that balances between the two? (noise\air intake)

I'd get the Delta HHE or EHE if you want low noise and higher cfm. Sidewindercomputers sells them, but I believe that they are out right now.
I use a Tornado ducted to my cpu. With the grills cut out, it's not that loud, and is about as loud as the Delta fan that I have. I love my Tornado. I stopped using it for a while, but then I had to go back to it, just because of the incredible cooling that you get from it. If you can take the noise ( are you a man? ;) ) I'd get the Tornado, if not( you sissy ;) ), then pick up a Delta. I'd recommend the Delta actually though. most people can't handle the Tornado's noise level.

Whats the best fan that balances between the two? (noise\air intake)

IMO, the Panaflo 92mm U1A on a rheostat and a 25mm spacer under the fan..
2nd choice would be the Delta HHE 92mm/ spacer too..But these fans aren't available at the present time..:(
Probably go with a Panaflo 92mm H1A or H1B or the Delta SHE or EHE on a control device..Do you plan to wire the hs/ fan to the PSU?
Man this is getting tough, with no fans available..:)

DELTA FAN LINK

PANAFLO FAN LINK

FAN LINK

Many people like the TT Smartfan 2, cause it's adjustable. Panaflow medium/high would work also. 7v Tornado/Delta or with a fan controller. Enermax adjustable has also been reccomended. (I think they come in 80/92mm anyway) My do some searching, but I think some have found better luck with a good 80mm fan cause there is less of a dead spot. Unless you were to duct the 92mm.

You can also take another 92mm fan, cut the fan out and leave the shell casing. Stack that on the Tornado/Delta ( Don't let Thermaltake your money ;) ) and that should help with the deadspot. He is correct though. Both the Tornado/Delta have a large deadspot.

Bios24 said:
I think some have found better luck with a good 80mm fan cause there is less of a dead spot. Unless you were to duct the 92mm.

But how could a 80mm be better than a 92mm? the 92mm is BIGGER and..ummmm.. STRONGER :attn:

Wow thanks for the links.. Since the Delta's arent really available, and my delicate ears cant handle the Tornado :) ; I liked the Panaflo H1B in particular, really cool price and 56.8 CFM for 35.0 dBA is just too good to be turned down.. :)

:sniff: have a good life together
I always knew my brother was the sappy type :D

Good choice on the fan... the HIB works well for cooling the Thermalrights. I'm recommending that fan in the temp. absense of the Delta HHE. The HHE'll be out of stock for a few months :cry:, but www.sidewindercomputers.com has some good deals on other stuff if you haven't checked them out before.

Building a spacer or making one out of a fan shell does help get rid of most of the dead spot created by the 92's.... but just remember if you make your own that you have to measure the height so that the clips will still hold the fan on.

BTW, you are going to use AS5 on the HS right? Good Luck :)

Guyz, I think i'm gonna try the Panaflo since this Smartfan is getting in my nerv.
About the spacer? As you guy said I can use another fan but it would be 50mm? and the clip is can only hold 38 the max, I just dont wanna break anything. Can you guy show me how or some links? That would be nice. Thanks.

Tat, You need to use a 92mm fan for your spacer..A 50mm fan would be counter productive..Here's a pic of a duct I made ..I don't use it anymore, but it will give you an idea of how the fan clips go on..:) And, yes I cut the fan clips..I use a pair of needlenose pliers to secure the clips.. :drool:

92mm_Edition-034duct.gif
please don't quote my pic.:)

As you guys said I can use another fan but it would be 50mm?
Tat, You need to use a 92mm fan for your spacer..A 50mm fan would be counter productive
I think that he meant that 25mm + 25mm =50mm high... but to solve that you just put the wire clip in the hole one down from the top hole on the HS and then secure the clip to the bottom of your fan.

So in other words, you'll have the HS, the spacer, and the fan... just put the wire clips on the bottom screw holes of the fan and it'll hold it on fine. You'll have to clip your wires like arch did to secure it though... don't worry, the clips work just as well clipped, you don't lose any holding strength.

Back