• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What GFX card for old Core 2 Duo machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
agreed c2d isnt near as bad as ocnoob would like to portray it. is it great? nah, will it work? yeah.

Obviously, if you read between the lines, you'd see that by retro I meant things within a few years of the CPU itself's release. So anything from pac man right up to about Battlefield Bad Company 2.

I would never pair a 580 with a C2D. I had my 580 paired with my 2600K and that was a decent combo. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say C2D is severely outdated.

Nehalem improved the performance per clock over Core 2 by what, 20-30%? Then second gen i7 improved it again by like 30%. Since then we've seen tiny increases, but that's a pretty big difference.

Agreed...the next gen (and following) chips are a big improvement over c2d but for me, the 580 was a cheaper upgrade than a new cpu/mobo/ram combo, it made a big difference in my game experience and fps, and, was able to use the card when I eventually upgraded to a 2500k setup. Made sense for my situation.

Oh...also...I wouldn't necessarily be the one to shoehorn a 12-cylinder engine into an old VW bug but I would DEFINITELY want to take that thing for a serious test drive! ;)

Last edited:
Obviously, if you read between the lines, you'd see that by retro I meant things within a few years of the CPU itself's release. So anything from pac man right up to about Battlefield Bad Company 2.

I would never pair a 580 with a C2D. I had my 580 paired with my 2600K and that was a decent combo. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say C2D is severely outdated.

Nehalem improved the performance per clock over Core 2 by what, 20-30%? Then second gen i7 improved it again by like 30%. Since then we've seen tiny increases, but that's a pretty big difference.

its out dated yes, does OP need to replace his whole system? no. do you even know what games he plays?
p.s. OP what games u playing? what kind of problems you having?

Back