• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What have you RMA'd lately?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
1. I decided to finally RMA my XFX Thicc III 5700XT. Driver crashes are constant with this card. So now she goes back.

2. I have a stick of G.Skill DDR4-3600 going bad. Blue screens constantly with it in and stable with it out.

3. Tentatively need to RMA my EVGA 260mm AIO. I was getting USB excessive voltage errors. I don't really feel like breaking the system down completely to swap it out. I am going to try using it with one of my MB's rear USB ports and see what happens.

So what are you guys having troubles with?

ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact back from RMA recently. It took over 2 months and ASUS forced me to pay for the repair, even though it wasn't related to the reported problem and it wasn't my fault. Somehow they fixed it but didn't say what they fixed besides that I see a small dot of "paint" covering a little scratch on the PCB. The scratch was very close to the screw mounting hole, under the M.2 audio card which wasn't ever removed. When ASUS sent photos then I and some guys from OCF couldn't tell where is the damage.
The RMA reason was that the higher wattage CPUs like 5900X were causing the mobo to shut down under load and there was an 00 error code so that the mobo can't see the CPU. It was working fine with lower wattage CPUs like 4650G/5700G APUs. Also, the additional card with M.2 sockets was randomly losing SSD.
Right now, the motherboard works fine, but it lost the remaining warranty and they gave only 3 months for the repair.

Yesterday I sent WD SN850 SSD to RMA. It was working fine but every diagnostic software was reporting exceeded work time or writes, and WD software was reporting that everything is 100% fine but there is a critical error without a description. The drive has less than a year and has 4TB written.

That's all from my RMA in the last weeks.

Nothing. My last RMA was for an MSI GTX 960 GPU maybe 6 years ago.

Nothing. It's literally been years.

My PSU crapped out, but was just outside of the warranty period.

Last thing I RMA'ed was the faulty i7 8086k I won. Interestingly though, like EarthDog I also had a PSU (Corsair AX1200) start to become unstable right after the warranty period. Hmm... planned obsolescence? Fascinating how OP had RAM go bad, I wonder what the physical mechanism is that causes RAM to fail. I bet RAM has the lowest failure rate of any PC component lol.

This ram was bought new in February 2021. Never abused. I would say 99% of the time I had it that it was at or below stock speeds. I'm going with manufacturer defect.

I had an older Corsair 850w PSU start coil whining pretty loud. Outside of warranty and was told there was nothing they could or would do. I was willing to send it out for repairs since this happened at the start of the pandemic and prices went up and availability went down.

My EVGA hybrid 3080 had bad pump noise so had to RMA that a few months back.

This ram was bought new in February 2021. Never abused. I would say 99% of the time I had it that it was at or below stock speeds. I'm going with manufacturer defect.

I had an older Corsair 850w PSU start coil whining pretty loud. Outside of warranty and was told there was nothing they could or would do. I was willing to send it out for repairs since this happened at the start of the pandemic and prices went up and availability went down.

Eager to hear how your GSKILL rma goes, planning on going with them most likely for TR 4

I had a 2 month old ASUS ProArt monitor start twitching on the bottom half that I had to RMA not too long ago. While I wasn't too happy with doing it that early in use ASUS handled it very well and I had a new monitor in a couple weeks.

In the non-tech world I had a Shimano fishing reel have problems from the first use. Called Bass Pro who cross shipped me a replacement no questions asked.

I can add something to the list........ our Occulus Quest 2 crapped out (black screen). I'll let you know how that goes........I don't have the box or receipt and hope that doesn't prevent the RMA..........

Both the RAM and GPU were sent out today. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have any issues with them. I am worried that it's a stability issue not an inoperable issue and they may not be able to reproduce in a timely manner.

Eager to hear how your GSKILL rma goes, planning on going with them most likely for TR 4
No communication after they received my item. New set of identical RAM showed up one day.

The XFX RMA was not as nice. Apparently they do not have a THICC III equivalent. So, I got a 6600XT Speedster instead. The THICC is/was a sexy as hell card. This Speedster is generic. I am very disappointed in that manner.

It will go into my windowless HTPC and better not have a driver crash. #IThinkI'mDoneWithAMDGPUS

RMA...RMA...Trying to think of the last thing I actually had to RMA...

I would say it was my MSI P67 which suffered from the Intel Recall for the SATA connectors...in ~2010/2011 timeframe.

MSI denied my RMA, and they were rude about it. IIRC, the day after they denied me Intel announced the recall so I tried again. They sent me no notification email or anything. I got a package notification from USPS and there was a replacement motherboard and a return RMA label in the new mobo shipping box.

I hate MSI. I really really do.

I only have 1 MSI product and have not had any issue. But from your story and then hearing others I will definitely move them down my list of preferred manufacturers.

I've Gigabyte on that list too and not just for the PSU fiasco. I have a motherboard from them that the bluetooth antenna started to cycle on and off every now and then. I messaged them and their response was update the BIOS. OK, nothing changed and this happened. Updated BIOS didn't fix it. So, I got a dongle. Eventually, I tried it again and it works. Probably a weird driver. I just didn't like their customer service. Too many manufacturers out there to rely on one with poor customer service.

But from your story and then hearing others I will definitely move them down my list of preferred manufacturers.
Everyone has a horror story from each mfg... is everyone at the bottom of the list? :p

Most of those brands that are on the bottom are not popular on OCF and barely anyone here buys them ;) ... everything else is pretty average and usually, it's a matter of luck or a specific product that has design flaws. Like I had x5 RMA for some specific Gigabyte motherboards but I wouldn't say that Gigabyte products are not worth recommending... maybe I just wouldn't recommend the motherboard that was problematic for me.

Btw. the last weekend, I was helping my friend (remotely as he is from another country) with a new PC installation. He was close to RMA just because the new ASUS Strix X570-F motherboard that he bought ... arrived with ~1.5 year BIOS that didn't support 5000 series CPUs. I could understand it just after the premiere but not a year later. Now explain to someone who has never built a PC before that he has to reflash BIOS on his new motherboard.

Most of those brands that are on the bottom are not popular on OCF and barely anyone here buys them ;) ... everything else is pretty average and usually, it's a matter of luck or a specific product that has design flaws. Like I had x5 RMA for some specific Gigabyte motherboards but I wouldn't say that Gigabyte products are not worth recommending... maybe I just wouldn't recommend the motherboard that was problematic for me.

Btw. the last weekend, I was helping my friend (remotely as he is from another country) with a new PC installation. He was close to RMA just because the new ASUS Strix X570-F motherboard that he bought ... arrived with ~1.5 year BIOS that didn't support 5000 series CPUs. I could understand it just after the premiere but not a year later. Now explain to someone who has never built a PC before that he has to reflash BIOS on his new motherboard.

I would totally do that as well. If a board has been released for 1.5yrs and doesn't have a recent BIOS that company is off my list of companies to buy from.

I would totally do that as well. If a board has been released for 1.5yrs and doesn't have a recent BIOS that company is off my list of companies to buy from.
The X570-F has updates through 8/2021.

It's just that the board was sent out to retail/stock and not sold so it has an old BIOS on it from sitting on the shelf.

Back