• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is GetJar, and why is it trying to take over my browser?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I'm using a BlackBerry 8520, mostly for work related purposes. When work is slow, I am usually browsing the forums with Bolt Browser. Over the past couple of weeks, I have been noticing some strange behavior. Ads that aren't part of the pages I am visiting are showing up at the top of the window, for no reason that I can explain, something called GetJar keeps showing up in my favorites, and the browser will completely lock up or just refuse to connect for reasons unknown to me. When I try to delete this GetJar thing out of my favorites, either the delete option doesn't show, or the link just keeps coming back. Other than Bolt, the apps that I have installed either came on the phone, or I already knew them from my previous BB, like Slacker or Shazam. Is there a chance that ad-ware is starting to try to take over the mobile platform because of the recent popularity, or is there something else I might be missing?:shrug:

A quick Google says that GetJar is an independent mobile phone app store.

It seems like a legit service too, but I am unsure as to why you have those symptoms with it on your phone.

A quick Google says that GetJar is an independent mobile phone app store.

It seems like a legit service too, but I am unsure as to why you have those symptoms with it on your phone.

It turned up the same results for me as well, but that doesn't explain the malware like activity. I only click links I trust, just like on my PC. It just doesn't make any sense that it would appear out of nowhere like that, but it shows up in my bookmarks and instantly I start seeing ads. I do keep seeing the term Waptrick in these ads, but Google didn't return any useful results.

No, it doesn't. It could very well be a piece of malware running around under that guise.

Sort of like how the ThinkPoint trojan pretends it is part of MSE.

It seems that Googling Waptrick turned into a bunch of pr0n links, torrent links, and piracy links. If I knew my way around the BlackBerry OS a little, I would start hacking away at the file system to see what I can find, but I'm not that skilled. I'm completely lost on this one, and Google isn't helping out too much.:rain:

[Insipid lmgtfy link] :D
Wow. Some people just don't get it. As this is a pretty strong pet peeve of mine, let me spell it out for you and anyone else that happens upon this. lmgtfy is absolutely useless for the majority of the people on this forum. Not only that, it's insulting, unhelpful, rude and intolerable.

It would behoove you (and others) to refrain from posting lmgtfy links in the future.

-hokie

So considering the 2 links posted above, does anyone have any recommendations for browsers that will work on the BlackBerry platform? I am not looking for any type of browser that will show me mobile versions, as it drives me insane being able to post, and then have to come back from my rig later on to edit my sig back into my posts. Setting the standard BlackBerry browser to Firefox or IE emulation is ridiculously slow, and gets on my nerves. If it weren't for the ads that appeared out of nowhere, with no warning whatsoever, and this really bothers me.

I've had blackberry's for a few years and tried out a few browsers.

I liked bolt before, it was quick and fast (don't currently have it loaded on my phone) but now that I know it's ad supported I won't be re downloading it.

I've also used opera mini, which was quite nice, and also lets you download files larger than blackberry's 3.2mb limit. Not sure about viewing NON mobile pages though. I need to re download the browser. If you haven't already tried it I'd definately recommend it to you.

I can't stand browsing the web on phones, it just irritates me how slow it is, and the Blackberry browser in OS 5 SUCKS, the one in OS 6 is supposed to be quite nice. I have the Tour, and OS 6 isn't going to be available for it, figures, since OS 6 was announced RIGHT after I bought the damn thing, figured it'd be supported.

Hopefully that helps, I can't click the links above since I'm at work.

Back