• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is my real cpu temp? Need enlightenment

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bardos

I have been using the program CoreTemp on my computer for a long time. CPU is a Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.40GHz, stock, no overclock. The mobo is a Gigabyte P35-DS3L. The cpu temps will vary according to room temperature. This afternoon with all four cores reading in the high 40s C I rebooted to the BIOS where the cpu temp registered a steady 37 degrees C.

I have it from a long time ago memory that hanging out in the BIOS is something that produces max temps? And as well, that BIOS temps are the most accurate...

So, who should I believe about my actual cpu temp?

I don't think there is a ACTUAL reading, so if it says something like that i would say probably range from 37c - 40c? You shouldn't be too worried about it since the max temp is around 71c.

The bios does have a slight load on it and will run warmer than windows idle.

Temps vary by ambient, of course. The warmer it is in your room, the warmer your PC will be.

Believe Coretemp/Realtemp as the bios is NOT a valid place to read temperatures... partially because of what I mentioned above, and partially because in order to really see if your temperatures are OK, you need to stress test with the CPU at 100%. ;)

Back