• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the A8-5600K hottest temp I can expect from this CPU without OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prixone

Hi,

I have a A8-5600K with an Corsair H100 and I am getting some weird reading variations and I just wanted to know what is the safest hottest temp I can have it go without having the CPU life wasted faster?

From the BIOS I get 35~37º when I let it go into the OS (windows 7) on idle I get 57~63º when I run for example World of Warcraft I get a variation from 60~80º so I rather stop doing anything on that PC until I further sort things out.

Right now I am running tests on memory, CPU, GPU to see what results and temps I get but if anyone could be me a rundown on the above mentioned that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

I'm assuming those temperatures are not in Celsius.
A screenshot of HWMonitor would be helpful in this case.

Are you talking Fareneiht or Celsius?

If Celsius, there is osmething wrong with your cooling.

I'd assume a bad mount.

At stock settings, your CPU should not go above 40/42°C on load with such a cooler.

Celsius yes, unhappily I can't provide a screenshot as I left it at the office running stuff, tomorrow I will check back and post what I can.

manu2b, the ambient room where that PC will be allocated is around 40º and I have an i7 2700K OC'ed with an H100i and on load it goes around 50~56 top and I was expecting the same on AMD but I have barely any experience with AMD's.

Is the room ambient 40°C or 40°F? Please continue to use units to reduce confusion.

Everything I mention is in Celsius we don't use Fahrenheit where I live, sorry about not mentioning that early. So any numbers previously mentioned as stated now and on the previous reply are all and will be all in Celsius.

The room ambient normally is at 40°C during the day.

Was using HWMonitor as I couldn't find anything else to measure it and besides that the BIOS have its own sensor.

I was watching the person mounting and using the MX-2 thermal compound I also check if it was good(tight) on the processor and it seemed OK to me.

40 °C/104 °F indoor room temperature? That's extremely warm, like being outside on a very hot summer day. If that indoor temperature is accurate, then I'd suggest investing in an air conditioner or move the computer to a different location... preferably a location with air conditioning.

40 °C/104 °F indoor room temperature? That's extremely warm, like being outside on a very hot summer day. If that indoor temperature is accurate, then I'd suggest investing in an air conditioner or move the computer to a different location... preferably a location with air conditioning.

I do have an air condition (which is enough to just make the room cooler but not below than 30º) but can't use it 24/7 and my other PC as I have early mentioned doesn't even go above 65º on heavy load, ever.

As for the condition Brazil is hot but main issue is the glass window my apartment have which makes the room hot like that. I will be moving by the end of the year but regardless I don't think that is the issue with the AMD ortherwise the i7 would be running hotter as well right specially given its overclocked?

Last edited:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2122665/measure-temperature-amd-cpus.html
How to Measure Temperature on AMD CPUs Probably better stated if it said AMD APUs since the regular discrete cpus have been pretty much trouble free for monitoring temps with HWMonitor Free.

If you read the article very closely, you will see what most of us have known for a good while. There is not a sensor inside an AMD cpu that hands off a TRUE temp but only and always a relational temp.

So the article author suggests the use of AMD AOD to monitor the "distance" to the cpu portion of APU reaching the danger threshold. AOD will not give the socket temp at all. And honestly AMD has time and time again admitted that they do not care about 'looking' at temps but only what is the temperature that the cpu must shutdown to save itself or a few other temp functions that the cpu will accomplish internally.

By the way he gives a diagram of the way internal core temp is calculated within the cpu.
RGone...

Last edited:
Thanks RGone I will check AMD OD tomorrow and read it all over again.

Sorry on the delay and these are the reading:

axlfkWe.jpg

Which seems to be also read on HWMonitor as TEMPIN0 but not sure aside from that the cpu reading on it is way high while on OD which seems to be the HWMonitor TEMPIN0 would have been fine or what I would expect from it.

It was running for a day before I started it over so both MB and CPU where hot so don't bother with amount of time it was running from the OCCT window.

IF you are going to use AOD for temps you are going to have to forget HWMonitor for temps. They do not correspond. AOD for APUs is showing a calculated distance to shutdown temp. It is not a temp but an amount of heat until the cpu should theoretically shutdown.

NOthing in the AOD screenie menu corresponds to any temp shown by HWMonitor.
RGone...

I see, well I haven't read the article yet as I was at work so I just installed it and posted a screenshot of everything. Now that I am home I will read that article you posted early and see what I can get from it.

From what you're saying it seems I will have to calculate based on the result of AOD what is a risk temp it should turn off or it will just do it by itself?

I see, so the lower the thermal margin in the more I should worry about it and if it reaches 0 or so it should shutdown? if it get to around 20 I should start to worry about it?

From what I understood from that article my current margin on load is just fine?

If 41.6c is the margin to shutdown temp then you should be fine. That's a pretty large margin. However, HWMonitor is showing a "package temp" (what we used to call "core temp") of 75c and that, if it is accurate, would make me cautious in assuming you have almost 42c of margin before thermal shutdown.

Okay, I'm going to come at this from another angle. In my experience, stock AMD coolers on most AMD CPUs will give you load temps at stock frequencies and voltages that are about 15c below danger point temp when employed in ambient temperature environments of about 22c. But your ambient temps are more like 40c, at least for part of the day. All that to say I think you are on the margin of what is safe for that CPU under load and I would not run it hard for extended periods and I would not overclock it to be sure. I would also advise investing in a better CPU cooler.

First I want to thank everyone for participating and helping me out been learning a lot on AMD.

After having it running with games for extended periods the margin shown on AOD is now of 52º.

I guess I am still a bit confused on how the calculation of it goes given what you said:
However, HWMonitor is showing a "package temp" (what we used to call "core temp") of 75c and that, if it is accurate, would make me cautious in assuming you have almost 42c of margin before thermal shutdown.

So how would it actually work in practice?

I was assuming that as long as the margin doesn't go below I don't know 20? I'm good?

So how would it actually work in practice?

What I am suggesting is that all the numbers may be inaccurate and I wouldn't trust them. It has been known for sometime that two things are probably true about the AMD APUs: 1. They run somewhat hotter than their predecessors, 2. The temp reporting software we currently have to use does not seem to report temps accurately, usually reporting higher temps than are actually occurring.

I was assuming that as long as the margin doesn't go below I don't know 20? I'm good?

I would not assume that because of what I have stated above. What I am saying is that caution is in order and you would do well to play it conservatively. I am also saying to get a better cooler, especially in your hot climate.

Well for me AMD has shot themselves in the foot again and us the consumer in the booty again, with this temp crap on APUs they sell.

I went all the way back to the emails posted in forums from AMD engineers etc and what was; is n0 so longer with APUs. At some point AMD specified that they would release a NEW AOD that could be used to monitor "temps" on the later APUs. They did release new AOD, but n0 longer is a temp given but a relational temp to shutdown of the cpu. Depending on the language in use for AOD it is margin until the cpu is supposedly going to reach dangerous temp and shutdown. That is how I read it from the north, south, east and west. Read the reading from many directions. AOD is no longer reading a temp but a distance to a dangerous temp internally at which point the cpu should initiate emergency procedures to save itself.

So use AOD with APU and 'stock' cpu cooler. It seems the only reporting software that is accurate.

I have heard a rumor that one could go to a specific location at coretemp forum and they would give a link to a beta core temp that is supposed to work with AMD APUs. No idea what it actually shows for readings. No idea if it works. Don't have APU and curretly have no intention of going AMD APU not while they still sell Intel cpus anyway. FYI only.

So from hours of searching with tons of BS by those guessing completely, it seems AOD and its temp margin reading is the only way to go with APU and "stock" heatsink. About it.
RGone...ster.

Thanks a lot everyone for taking the time to explain all this to me, very useful and informative.

I guess in the end at least to my goals it was a big miscalculation, going out of my way from INTEL into AMD in this specific case.

It's been so long(around 7 years or more) since I last used AMD that I wanted to give it a try again.

I would consider a custom cooler however I would have to import 80% of the parts to do so and it would cost me nearly 3 times more the value it is worth so I guess I will deal with it and if it burns out at some point I will just get another i7 which has been very good with my conditions.

It's been running for a day or so, so far and the AOD seems to keep the same margin of 42~51 average, and nothing seems to be going wrong. I will let u know if it dies too soon lol ;P

Back