• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best all-around case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I really like the 120mm fan holes, I may hack my SX830 and put a 120mm in the rear in place of the two 80's. Other than that I like the Chen Ming better though, and it is all sealed up except the front panel so you can filter the intake completely. The lite-on has some leaks in the side panel that I would tape overs.

larva said:

Not true, that is the cheap line of Chen Ming, you can buy the real deal for the same money. That case is good quality but the single exit fan below the power supply is poor compared to the dual fans on this Cheng Ming product:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=11-125-212
apples to oranges

the antec case i suggested is shorter than the one you suggested. thus you have room for the 2nd fan. 92mm taller to be exact.

would have expected you to notice that.

the very low restriction on the front is very nice and would be great for a self-contained water system (whole thing in computer case).

also the link posted by someone else for this case plus a 350W power supply for 65 is a great deal. if nothing else you could sell the psu and have more money to spend on a better psu.

Make no mistake if you are running a Antec SX1000 series case of Chieftech, Chenming, what ever origin, you want these fans, unless of course you have a TruePower PSU that provides the “fan only” connectors off the power supply, in which case you could put Delta 14 gazillion's in there and they would still run 1500rpm, then these are the ones… http://www.directron.com/92l1a.html ...When you are running four of them, and five in some cases if your particular flavor of this case has another fan in the door…Count them five 80m/m fans that just “snap”...you will want quiet and these fans are it…And make no mistake bang for the buck in the case world goes to these cases…IMHO of course!!!...:cool:

Last edited:
Hookem said:
http://www.directron.com/92l1a.html ...When you are running four of them, and five in some cases if your particular flavor of this case has another fan in the door…Count them five 80m/m fans that just “snap”...you will want quiet and these fans are it…And make no mistake bang for the buck in the case world goes to these cases…IMHO of course!!!...:cool:

Hookem said:
http://www.directron.com/92l1a.html ...When you are running four of them, and five in some cases if your particular flavor of this case has another fan in the door…Count them five 80m/m fans that just “snap”...you will want quiet and these fans are it…And make no mistake bang for the buck in the case world goes to these cases…IMHO of course!!!...:cool:
what are they talking about with bare leads and 3 pin or 4 pin?

forgot to add my responce on the last post...heh

Man alot of people have been recommending elcheapo cases.

My case is an el cheapo. Cost me 11$ plus 20$ shipping on ebay.

These cheap cases have a standard design. Thin sheet metal, like 6 3.5 bays going up from the bottom front of the case and then 3-5 5.25bays after that. Only the fan/windows vary from case to case. I wouldn't pay more than 35$ shipped for one unless it was decked out. PSU, Fans, mounting gear, etc.

Far from the best case out there.

Best case out there would be.

1. Nice thick steel, and sturdy construction
2. all screws. No rivots. Rivots=cheapo case.
3. Room in bottom front for a 120mm fan and a chevette core.
4. Clearance so the PSU isn't right on top of the Motherboard.
5. Plenty of room everywhere, but not awkward to carry.

Hmm I might think of more later.

As far as the Power Supply is concerned the 350watt Sparkle with the single 120m/m fan is probably the best bang for buck PSU on the planet right now. 45.00 for a power supply of this quality is a steal. Powerful, quiet, and inexpensive...Now that is what I call a winning combination...This power supply http://store.yahoo.com/xpdirect/35sparpowsup.html ...along with one of the Chen Ming, Chenbro, Chieftec, Antec, whatever cases is a really nice setup that is solid as a rock, provides decent cooling right out of the box, if you add the "optional" fans and looks good to boot...I really do not think you would be dissapointed with this combination...:D

Agent Z said:

what are they talking about with bare leads and 3 pin or 4 pin?

forgot to add my responce on the last post...heh

ok...
but what do they mean about the fans option to get a "bare leads" or a "3pin" or a "4 pin" what does that mean???

Maxvla said:

apples to oranges

Not exactly, they both compete for the title of best all around case.

Maxvla said:

the antec case i suggested is shorter than the one you suggested. thus you have room for the 2nd fan. 92mm taller to be exact.

would have expected you to notice that.

Don't get snippy with me, I certainly notice that. That is what is wrong with that case.

That is a cheng ming case, the same, just the low dollar one. If money is a concern you can get the steel version of the big Cheng Ming straight from them, for $38.

The case you got might be the best case available that is 92mm shorter than the case I suggested, but I'm not sure this is vital charactieristic for all users.

Another thing i was looking at the Dragon and they have a steel or a Aluminum case...
which one is better?

The aluminum case are lighter and are supposed to dissapate heat faster than the steel versions...So most people would argue that the aluminum versions are the way to go...As far as the fan question. Most of the Pansonic Panflo's come with bare leads and you can buy an adapter that turns it into a 3 pin connector (molex) that is commonly used to hook up the fan to one of the fan headers on your motherboard. Unless you do some fancy wiring you would want to connect your heat sink fan to the CPU header on the motherboard...The four pin connector is what comes off the power supply to connect your hard drive, dvd-rom, cd-rw...For your case fans you want to use the four pin connector and connect them right off the power supply. Most motherboard's have more than just the CPU fan header...But you probably would not want to run anything but maybe a northbridge cooler fan...You sure dont want to hook up some fan that draws a bunch of amperage...might cook something up that you dont want cooked...LOL...:)

Agent Z said:

I like that case..but what fans should i get with it?
and what power supply..i don't want to spend to much
panaflows are the only way to me, i'd get 4 80mm's so you dont have to mod anything, these cases are great for modding but you should'nt if you dont absolutely have to, and for psu id say a sparkle 400w or Antec 430w True power, both great quality, eccept with the Antec you get more 12v line and bells and whistle's at a price

R.Rabbit said:
panaflows are the only way to me, i'd get 4 80mm's so you dont have to mod anything, these cases are great for modding but you should'nt if you dont absolutely have to, and for psu id say a sparkle 400w or Antec 430w True power, both great quality, eccept with the Antec you get more 12v line and bells and whistle's at a price

and thanks a whole lot for the explanation on the pin stuff

Back