• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the best heatsink for pentium4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Probably most people will tell you the Alpha. I have 2 of the Vantec Aeroflows and absolutey love it. Well, I have 1 and the other one will be here tomorrow.

I wouldn't mind trying the Alpha but you have to remove your motherboard to mount it.

I'd say get the Aeroflow. It performs about the same and is way quieter. If you put a fan on the Alpha that produces the same level of noise, the Aeroflow will be ahead in terms of performance.

Maybe the SLK-900 is cheaper down south, but around here it's a waste of money as it costs about $85 CAD with no fan. If you put a fan on it that produces the same level of noise as the Aeroflow, they will perform about the same. Considering that the Aeroflow cost me $37 CAD with the fan, it's difficult to justify the SLK-900's price.

Dont get any pf the slk's as ive been hearing some bad results because of the narrow base of the sink

boffin2163 said:
Dont get any pf the slk's as ive been hearing some bad results because of the narrow base of the sink
This is true that the base does not cover the entire die. I was very skeptical of this when I installed the SLK-900U two days ago.

I used this to replace my Alpha 8942 as I had read that it does perform better than the Alpha. I ran extensive tests using the same ambiant temps with everything running the same on both heatsinks.

The SLK-900U does outperform the Alpha 8942 on my system. It reduced my idle temps by 3C and under heavy load (Prime95 for 3 hours) it reduced the load temps by 4C. This was using the same fan on both with ASIII.

I am now testing this new Shin-Etsu Thermal Compound. Initial install temps have come down by another 1C idle and 2C load. Supposedly this Shin-Etsu takes 3 days to settle in for best perfomance. We shall see.

This Shin-Etsu is a pain to spread. It will glob up on the die and does require careful use of a credit card laying almost flat to get an even application. That said it is outperforming the ASII as advertised.

Just ordered a zalman cnps7000-cu since i just need some 6-7c better cooling, and hate high noise fans "well my gf does :|" will post results when it arrives, but from the test i saw with it vs. the standard intel heatsink with copper, it cools some 7-8c better during load, hope this is so :)

Back