• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the Cheapest Gigabit Switch Worth Buying

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neonblingbling

I'm looking for a cheap gigabit switch to hook up my laptop to another computer (either FreeNAS, Ubuntu, etc. I'm still trying to set it up :bang head ), and then to the internet. I really have no clue what I'm looking at; all the networking I've done was went to Circuit City (RIP, haha...), bought a router, pluged it in and got internet. Done deal. For this though, I'd like to have a decent network so it will not bottleneck transfers too much.

These are the switches I'm looking at. Any worth buying?

i have one of the netgear GS108, this a nice switch and does a good job.
the better version is the GS108T but that a different price range.
i bought the trendnet beginning of this year and have to say that i am very happy with it.

Another +1 for the D-Links. I have two, soon to be a third one of these days. ;)

- Blackstar

Trendnet has some small cheap ones. Never used their switches but been happy with other stuff of their's I have used.

Are there any 'features' for switches that I need to be aware of besides just brand name? To me, (who doesn't know anything switch/network related), it's like I asked 'what CPU should I buy?' and everyone said 'brand A'. I know for CPUs there are other factors like how many cores it has and core speed, etc, therefore brand A is justified. Are there similar features for switches?

The Dlink or Linksys/Cisco have my vote. I have used most of those (and their bigger brothers) in one form or another and I like them a lot. I can't recommend Trendnet, I have some of the 10/100 versions and they are just 'meh' and I wouldn't really bother getting the others when a decent brand (Dlink/Cisco) can be had for a few more dollars.

The Dlink or Linksys/Cisco have my vote. I have used most of those (and their bigger brothers) in one form or another and I like them a lot. I can't recommend Trendnet, I have some of the 10/100 versions and they are just 'meh' and I wouldn't really bother getting the others when a decent brand (Dlink/Cisco) can be had for a few more dollars.

ya i will agree with you... i have used may different brands and i always end up comming back to linksys and dlink in that order. Had my wrt54GL router up for years now with out problems. But also have an old dlink di-624 and di-604 routers that still work like a charm.

Frys has a nice dlink gigabit 5 or 8 port switch (cant remember) for 20 bucks or so.

Bingo. I was planning on going to Fry's this weekend. Maybe some of those $2 gigabit NICs too.

You want to get the intel gigabit nics, there normally 26$ or so but they have remote management ability's! AMT I've had poor luck with cheap gigabit cards.

Are there any 'features' for switches that I need to be aware of besides just brand name? To me, (who doesn't know anything switch/network related), it's like I asked 'what CPU should I buy?' and everyone said 'brand A'. I know for CPUs there are other factors like how many cores it has and core speed, etc, therefore brand A is justified. Are there similar features for switches?

There sure are. Concerning basic 'dumb' switches (non-managed), jumbo frame support, buffer memory amount, and latency (in milliseconds) being the first to pop into my mind at the moment. I surely expect others to offer additional features to look for in a switch.

I own only one switch, and it seems to work just fine. It is $34.99 after MIR + $0.00 S/H at the Egg with 71% of 113 reviewers giving it 5 Eggs.

I went to Fry's today and found a refurb'd D-Link DGS-2205 for $15. Got a TRENDnet gigabit NIC for $10. I didn't see comment about the Intel NIC till now, but I wouldn't have wanted to pay more for an NIC than my switch. ;)

I went to Fry's today and found a refurb'd D-Link DGS-2205 for $15. Got a TRENDnet gigabit NIC for $10. I didn't see comment about the Intel NIC till now, but I wouldn't have wanted to pay more for an NIC than my switch. ;)

yup thats the one i was talkin bout.... and the 2 dollar cheapie gigabit pci nics i bought a while back both are friggin awesome.

Back