• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the max. stable OC for a Phenom 940 on a ‏MA78GM-US2H

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moranhoresh

I am planning on buying a Phenom X4 940 cpu and a ‏MA78GM-US2H motherboard.
What is the max. stable OC that I can achieve using air cooling?

Thank you.

There's no way to accurately answer this question.

Each individual chip, and motherboard, and ram, have different potentials.

All you're promised is that they will perform at their rated speeds, everything else is icing

Probably about 3.9GHz since 4GHz+ is probably water cooling ground.

But typical would probably be more like 3.7GHz or so if you ask me. I think to 3.6GHz or beyond with reasonable cooling is a pretty good overclock.

Probably about 3.9GHz since 4GHz+ is probably water cooling ground.

But typical would probably be more like 3.7GHz or so if you ask me. I think to 3.6GHz or beyond with reasonable cooling is a pretty good overclock.

+1
As stated most will do 3.6Ghz and up with a good cooler, but CPUs (and components) are not equal. Try starting around 3.3Ghz and go up perhaps 50Mhz at a time until it's not stable (using Linpack, or Prime95, or OCCT) then add one notch of voltage and continue 50Mhz or so at a time. Try to keep temps under 55C and be sure to keep HT link speed below 2.0Ghz (sometimes dropping this to 1.5Ghz or lower helps with stability), if your using the reference (or Host) clock to overclock. If your just using multiplier to increase the CPU then the speed of the HT link will not change. Overclocking the IMC (northbirdge) after finding the CPU's limit can also give an added boost to the CPU's speed, most IMCs will do 2.4Ghz and up, again every CPU is different. The IMC is overclocked using the CPU-NB multiplier as well as the reference clock.

Back