• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is your favorite fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My new fav fan delta 252cfm at 5000rpm pwm. I am running 3 of these bad boys and I like it. I used 2 of them for the heatsink Noctua NH-D14 and 1 for exhaust. I have plan to add 1 more for air instake, place under the blu ray player (NZXT full tower) but I will have to made a bracket for it. I set the fan speed at 2400rpm at idling, as cpu get hotter, so the fan rpm get higher. you can not hear the fan noise from 12 feets away at idling speed.. Note... if you get the NONE PWM version, it will be crazy loud. My cpu is 3930K overclocked at 4.6Ghz never get pass 71c in prime95. before the Delta fan upgrade, the cpu temp would hit 85C+ 91c in prime95. It so hot the cpu throttling down. Now it never throtttling down in prime95.

Do you need to file an FAA approved flight plan before you start up your
system?

G1238B12BBZP, Speed 6300 RPM, Airflow 261 CFM, Static pressure 520 Pa/2.09 InH2O, Noise 67 dB, Current 4.46 A (start @6.1A)

Unreal. Can you even run that fan safely w/o it being attached to a secure surface?

No, they'll hover and float right off your desk. Or carpet, or whatever.
They also inhale anything nearby.

Including small children/pets/fingers.
Especially fingers.

I remember when my finger accidentally got nailed by my full speed
Vantec tornado fan, blood flew everywhere, but w/Bobnova's monster
Delta I wonder it would just take the finger right off. I don't think my full
speed tornado would ever hover either.

Do you need to file an FAA approved flight plan before you start up your
system?

Come on :) If you are running it at full speed and non pwm version. yes you will be deaf, it s loud. But the beauty of pwm version fan, my sytem will not be at full speed all the time. If I got time, I will post a short video just to show you, it is not as loud as you would think. As I say above post. you can hardlly hear my system fans running at idle from 12 feets away.

Variable speed is pretty neat. But even more impressive is the stuff "behind the scenes" that makes it all work. Basically, a digital variable speed fan (Delta and Nidec) has a tiny single chip computer (DSP) inside that does the hard work of synthesizing the drive waveforms for the inverter and even digitizing and processing the back EMF coming back from the motor in order to get the phase of the waveform just right. What sets them apart from the rest is that they synthesize sine waves at low speed in order to keep motor vibration to a minimum.

Variable speed is pretty neat. But even more impressive is the stuff "behind the scenes" that makes it all work. Basically, a digital variable speed fan (Delta and Nidec) has a tiny single chip computer (DSP) inside that does the hard work of synthesizing the drive waveforms for the inverter and even digitizing and processing the back EMF coming back from the motor in order to get the phase of the waveform just right. What sets them apart from the rest is that they synthesize sine waves at low speed in order to keep motor vibration to a minimum.

Just curious, on the "sine waves" fan that you frequently mentioned lately, appreciate if you can share some any external references/links on this particular topic/subject ?

Just curious, on the "sine waves" fan that you frequently mentioned lately, appreciate if you can share some any external references/links on this particular topic/subject ?

We've all barked up that tree already.
Supposedly its "proprietary" information that he can't share.

Any Google searches simply find him posting all over forums about them.

Edit: Let's not get into another Cindy Wu or Lainey Schmidt discussion either.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I thought half of the posts would be for Noctua. Are they not the best? I thought they were supposed to be really good. I just build a new PC with the Asus Z87 Pro mobo, which has all of the gold components, and I was considering the Noctua's because the brown/tan goes well with the gold mobo. But more importantly, I just thought they were supposed to be about as good as it gets.

All good suggestions, but nobody has hit the nail on the head yet, as the OP said he wanted fans for a low FPI Rad!! So with that in mind i would strongly say take a long hard look at this. You would A, Learn something and B, Most likely end up with the right Fans after all. ;) :thup:

1, http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/07/fan-testing-round-12/

As i said if you take your time to read and listen to the Fans on here, you will not go far wrong. And most of all avoid buying the wrong fans for the job. :attn:

Respect,

AJ.

The gentle typhoons seem to be a top fan, but I haven't seen anywhere to get them. I would prefer the higher speed ones.

FrozenCPU has 10 AP-31 fans left for $23 each. Heatsink Factory has 9 of them for $22 each.

My favorite fan would probably be the Sanyo Denki 109R1212H101 (closed corners) or 109R1212H1011 (open corners).

Last edited:
Hmmm... I thought half of the posts would be for Noctua. Are they not the best? I thought they were supposed to be really good. I just build a new PC with the Asus Z87 Pro mobo, which has all of the gold components, and I was considering the Noctua's because the brown/tan goes well with the gold mobo. But more importantly, I just thought they were supposed to be about as good as it gets.

A Dragg, the fans being recommended here are for water cooling.

For case fans, Noctua is awesome :thup:

FrozenCPU has 10 AP-31 fans left for $23 each. Heatsink Factory has 9 of them for $22 each.

My favorite fan would probably be the Sanyo Denki 109R1212H101 (closed corners) or 109R1212H1011 (open corners).

Yep, FrozenCPU seems to keep them in stock pretty regularly.

Noctua is underpowered (and not just by a little) for a high end gaming machine, not to mention pretty expensive. For roughly the same cost, there are variable speed fans that are capable of performing way better when you need them to.

As for a radiator fan, I suggest having a single Delta or Nidec pressurizing the case, with the radiator itself positioned as one of the exhausts. It's basically the same as an evaporator or condenser fan in a refrigeration or air conditioning application, and there's a good reason you generally don't see fans directly attached if the designers could help it. (Dead zone in the middle = wasted heat exchange area.)

lol, you won't like a single fan that can move enough air for multiple PC cooling radiators. Plus most (all?) cases have vents all over them that will get rid of the air rather faster than going through the radiators.

For that to work you'd need a gnarly fan (read: loud, even with magical fairy drive systems), and to absolutely seal the case except for routes that go through radiators.

Shrouds on radiators to deal with the dead spot concept are a well researched thing, and while they do help, it's not enough to do a hardcore case mod for IMO.

Back