• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is your upload speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

It seems every few months, my (very crappy) cable provider keeps lowering my upload speed. It is now at 86kbps whenever I test it. It used to be over 512, then 256, then 128 for along time, now it's only 86kbps.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't even play an online game and talk on Ventrilo or TS at the same time without HORRIBLE lag now. Is there anything I can do, besides calling them (can't now it's the weekend.)

are you thought FMTCS? i know many people that have been having problems with them.

Well it's cable, and it's $40 a month, and normally it's halfway decent, but lately my upload speeds whenever I test just keep going lower and lower every few months.

I just downloaded CableNut (a tweaking program), anyone use this before?

[edit]

And it's a local ISP, Omnitelcom btw.

I pay for 1.5 up and 5 down.
speed is also fairly consistant.
I am running cable through Shaw

Mr. Chambers said:
It seems every few months, my (very crappy) cable provider keeps lowering my upload speed. It is now at 86kbps whenever I test it. It used to be over 512, then 256, then 128 for along time, now it's only 86kbps.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't even play an online game and talk on Ventrilo or TS at the same time without HORRIBLE lag now. Is there anything I can do, besides calling them (can't now it's the weekend.)

Thats because more and more people in your area are using them now and they have nor (or will not) upgrade their equipment to handle the higher load. In a major city near me(70 miles) their cable got so loaded that the download speed was 28K during nonpeek hours and around 2K or 3K during peek load and they were paying about 60.00/month for service and the service was slower than dial-up :mad:

Mark620 said:
Thats because more and more people in your area are using them now and they have nor (or will not) upgrade their equipment to handle the higher load. In a major city near me(70 miles) their cable got so loaded that the download speed was 28K during nonpeek hours and around 2K or 3K during peek load and they were paying about 60.00/month for service and the service was slower than dial-up :mad:

That would be my guess too, except that I live in a very small collection of small towns, and I know for a fact that this company probably has no more than 50 people on cable tops. Most of their broadband subscribers are on DSL.

I only posted because today is by far the worst day, and even though it's late now, it's still impossible to play online games, and even web browsing is horribly slow. I'm half tempted to move somewhere and get fibre.

i really dont understand how ISP work in the states..
I hear about overloaded hubs all the time.. now up in Vancouver I never hear of any of this.... I also know fiber runs to most of the hubs (ok all that i know whats inside) and that might be why cable and DSL even in Vancouver isnt having the same problems.

Xenocide, that price you pay is crazy. Does your ISP not have any compitition????

no compatition in my area either. 450kdown 35k up

$45 a month. and they wont let me run a web server from home w/o using a different port.

if the 2nd generation broadband thru powerlines works out
should get 2-3x the speed for the same price.
but i have my doubts about the concept.

jAY said:
I pay for 1.5 up and 5 down.
speed is also fairly consistant.
I am running cable through Shaw

Woah. That's T1 upload right there. And not to shabby download either. ;)

I'm 300Kb/s up and 2Mb/s down. I wouldn't mind a better upload but the most I can get from my ISP is 500Kb/s.

Chris_F said:
Woah. That's T1 upload right there. And not to shabby download either. ;)

I'm 300Kb/s up and 2Mb/s down. I wouldn't mind a better upload but the most I can get from my ISP is 500Kb/s.

i still whine that the net is too slow....
But I still rember myself saying this (back when I had my 14.4)
"if I could download 1MB in 1min I would be happy with that"

Oh, forgot to mention the price, its $65mo CAD for the connection and cable TV,

5000 Kb Down / 800 Kb Up Cable Internet & Ultimate Digital Cable with digital terminal rental for $79.99 CDN a month.

Rogers Extreme DOCSIS network.

Around here, depending on your location, there are severely overloaded CMTS nodes all over the Rogers network, especially on the older Terayon non-DOCSIS segment. Luckily, I'm not on one of them anymore. :)

For $45/mo I get 256dn/128up. Blah. My gf has 3000dn/256up thru Charter cable. :D

$40/Month - 750KB/sec down & 80KB/sec up.

I was thinking of getting another account and use NIC Express to doubble those speeds :)

Are we talking KiloBYTES or kiloBITS? That makes a huge difference...if we are talking kilobytes...I'm almost too emberrased to say...

I get around 400 kilobytes (3200 kilobits) download
and around 30 kilobytes (~256 kilobits) download

Comcast...I don't pay the bills, but I think it's around $60 US a month...Am I paying too much?

Back