• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of algeacide would be safe on an acrylic resevoir?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Isopropyl alcohol cannot melt acrylic sheet. I've searched google for the last 2 hours and found nothing of the sort.
According to the maker of Optix brand acrylic (common brand found at Home Depot) it can embrittle the plastic lowering it's crazing stress point to 900 psi (no parking cars on your reservior) but it won't melt it.

Acetone will melt plastics. We used to use iso alcohol to clean acrylic and acetone for glass housing windows. When the operator got the two mixed up, there went a $80 housing...

Straight iso alcohol can attack the glue joints, causing a spider-web of lines that look like cracks, but this does not happen when it's mixed with water because of the weird way alcohol molecules blend into water.
I wouldn't go swabbing high stress points like NPT threaded holes with pure iso alcohol, but what little is found in a few drops of iodine is so patheticaly small when mixed with your other coolant.

ƒÓÒl said:
Acetone will melt plastics.
It's worth mentioning that ethyl rubbing alcohol usually contains acetone. That may be why some people say alcohol can melt acrylic or other plastics.

Otter said:
It's worth mentioning that ethyl rubbing alcohol usually contains acetone. That may be why some people say alcohol can melt acrylic or other plastics.

Now that I'd believe, but who's crazy enough to use rubbing alcohol in their setup?... menthol/eucelyptus/mineral oils...teh yuk!!! Only thing missing is gasoline and Ajax.
Guess there's still some things that people don't think through before doing....:D

1stOVERCLOCKER said:
so use the walgreens stuff and ill be finer and noty have anymore algae

The walgreens stuff seems to be good because it uses iodine which kills the algae. But it's also in a solution without alcohol, which helps keep the glue and acyrlic in your res safe. Not sure what it will do for existing algae problems, but you probably don't want a bunch of dead algae flying around your loop anyway. I would clean all your parts with soapy water and rinse them thoroughly. The refill the loop with a few drops, maybe a teaspoon of the iondine solution. Good luck.

Back