• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Memory IC's Used in G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GVR ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meeshu

This question was asked by someone else elsewhere but has not been answered (yet).

I'm also curious to know what memory IC's are used in G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GVR kit.

As I understand it, the memory IC's used in G.Skill memory modules is usually "coded" within the memory modules serial number.

A photo of the modules is attached. Notice that there is no serial number as such. The only number of possible interest is the number 2230?

Attachments

• G.Skill_S_9.png
    G.Skill_S_9.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 799
Only Samsung is in mass sales at so tight timings and all Trident Z 8/16GB modules 3200 CL14 which I was testing were Samsung B so I guess it's the same IC just different heatsinks.

Thanks for the comments!

So the consensus seems to be that the IC's are probably Samsung (B die). But is there any way to confirm/verify that Samsung IC's are definitely used (short of buying this kit and removing heatspreaders and/or using a memory reading utility such as Taiphoon Burner) from some online source?

And what is the relation (if any) of the number 2230 on the module label to the brand and version of memory IC's used?

My understanding is that the memory IC code on G.Skill modules usually consists of four digits which are usually part of the module serial number. However, in this case here there is no serial number. The number 2230 printed on the module label might indicate the memory IC's used.

Based on information from various online sources, the number 2230 could be interpreted as -

first digit indicates number of IC rows, or module sides; 1 would mean one side of module, and 2 would mean both sides of module populated with memory IC's
second digit indicates IC manufacturer; in this case here it might be Samsung(?)
third digit indicates IC revision(?)
fourth digit indicates . . . ? What?

Can anyone confirm any of this please?

Codes can tell you manufacturer but won't tell IC details.
Manufacturers usually don't share IC info as they don't want that competition know what are they using.

As I said, there is no other IC in mass sales which runs at CL14-14-14, especially using 16GB modules. All previous Samsung series were lower density so were no 16GB modules and all other than B die are sold in CL16-16-16/16-18-18 kits. So there is really low chance that this kit will be on other IC than Samsung B. Other thing is that even B die won't guarantee good overclocking.

Here is one of my earlier tests with G.Skill B-die 2x16GB:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...t-Z-2x16GB-DDR4-3200-CL15-F4-3200C15D-32GTZSK
On new motherboards should make 3600 at lower voltages.

Thanks for the comments!

So the consensus seems to be that the IC's are probably Samsung (B die). But is there any way to confirm/verify that Samsung IC's are definitely used (short of buying this kit and removing heatspreaders and/or using a memory reading utility such as Taiphoon Burner) from some online source?

And what is the relation (if any) of the number 2230 on the module label to the brand and version of memory IC's used?

My understanding is that the memory IC code on G.Skill modules usually consists of four digits which are usually part of the module serial number. However, in this case here there is no serial number. The number 2230 printed on the module label might indicate the memory IC's used.

Based on information from various online sources, the number 2230 could be interpreted as -

first digit indicates number of IC rows, or module sides; 1 would mean one side of module, and 2 would mean both sides of module populated with memory IC's
second digit indicates IC manufacturer; in this case here it might be Samsung(?)
third digit indicates IC revision(?)
fourth digit indicates . . . ? What?

Can anyone confirm any of this please?

They are dual rank, dual sided, with Samsung B-Die.

OK.

I believe I've (partly) decoded the number 2230 that is printed on the module label. Further verification is being currently done before further details can be made available.

Back