• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LilBuddy

I'm looking to get a i5 3570k soon and was checking out memory.

I see Fry's has a 4x2gb Patriot 1600 DDR3 for $24.99. Is that a good thing?

Or Patriot 3x4gb DDR3 1600 for $40. Seems ok.

I'm not sure if I want 2x4gb 4x2gb, or if going up to 16gb is worth it. With that chip is it better to do 3x2gb?

I know RAM doesn't make a huge diff, but I'd like to OC ok probably just the 1600 DDR3 max around $40-50.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
2x4GB for most is fine. The Z77 platform isnt triple channel so dual/quad is the way to go.

Is the G.Skill 1600 2x4gb for $45 on Newegg the best way to go? Has tons of 5 star reviews.

Newegg reviews are MEH outside of DOA's. Most any chips will do for 24/7 operation. Overclocking memory isnt like it was on the Intel platform in that bclk(fsb) is quite limited so you only use a multiplier to hit significantly different frequencies. If you want faster speeds, and little tinkering, you can buy a 1866MHz set to make sure you can get there.

To the OP. I would look for a 2x4GB kit, 4x2GB is old hat.

For daily use I'd aim for 1600 with 9-9-9 timings, or maybe 1866 if you feel like playing with it. It really doesn't make much of a difference performance wise beyond the 1600-9-9-9 level. G.Skill makes good sticks.

I 100% agree with this and it just cost me a 2500K (cooked [IMC most likely]) testing the whole timing in Intel issue.

Timings were everything on a performance system in the past and are still relevant in some cases. With the large caches, much improved prediction and flushing algorithms - timings simply play a lesser part in the performance metric on main stream processors. Conversely on processors that lack l3 cache or have weak prediction and flush capabilities (Many AMD processors have no L3 benefit from faster [tighter, lower] timings) the work is done in a fast swap within the memory and the timings are critical to performance.

For benching timings do matter but in real application they are moot after a point as is memory speed.

So should I bother with 1866 for the few $ more or just get the 1600? I guess it's not like the old days where it would run 20-30% faster than the label on it.

I'm not going to be big into OC'ing, just getting it running at an average speed, maybe like 4.5 or whatever is typical without a lot of tuning and tinkering.

My 1600 kit does 2400. Others won't do >1660, it varies.
I'd just go 1600, personally.

MOAR fps is always nice :D

3DMark-11b.jpg

3DMARK 11 Extreme
vantage1b.jpg

3DMARK Vantage Performance
Aquamark11.jpg

Aquamark 3
Cinebench1.jpg

Cinebench 11.5 CPU
Cinebencha1.jpg

Cinebench Open GL
stalker-1a.jpg

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. COP
Mafia-IIa.jpg

Mafia II
PC-Mark-7.jpg

PCMARK 7
nova1a.jpg

NovaBench
Specview1.jpg

SpecViewPerf
http://www.techreaction.net/2013/01/04/review-crucial-ballistix-sport-vlp/
And one not in the review
redway3d.jpg

There is little difference. even going down to 800 it is just a few percentage points.

Back