• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weakssauce

Registered
hey guys new here! :)

im building a new gaming/overclocking rig i have devils canyon on the wish list and want to get the best mobo out there! i was waiting for the maximus vii extreme there hasnt been any word on it..what gives?

should i just get the msi xpower? iv never had a msi board not sure if their solid overclockers...

i will be running 4 video cards so i need that plx chip

as far as i can find the asrock extreme 6 will be the choice board and is the board on my list, though I'm onli going with two cards.

yea i know the gains after 3 arent that much but i have the cards laying here from some mining rigs so might as well make a super gaming rig

Holy crap you've got 4 290x's? That's heavy duty stuff. You'd get theoretically (slightly) higher framerates on X79 given the number of native PCIE lanes.

Holy crap you've got 4 290x's? That's heavy duty stuff. You'd get theoretically (slightly) higher framerates on X79 given the number of native PCIE lanes.

why not wait for x99 (or whatever it`s gonna be called). 4*290X deserve the newest and greatest.

It's not likely to have more PCIE lanes than X79 does, and it's (afaik) not going to be PCIE 4.0 (which wouldn't matter, since these are 3.0 cards). I say buy now. Get a 4930K and 16GB of RAM and throw those cards in there. You don't need a top tier X79 board. Something mid range will do provided the right slot layout.

why do you recommend 2011 over z97 fever?

It has more PCIE lanes. Your cards will have a wider path to the CPU than they will all running at 8X (which is really 4X...) on Z97 with a PLX/NF200.

Haswell E will be to Ivybridge-E what what IB-E was to SB-E, a small incremental improvement. You'll probably get DDR4 support though so that's a big bonus.

If you want to wait, wait, but your cards will start to grow long in the tooth in the process. I'd jump on a 4930K now personally. Avoid the 4820. It's slightly inferior to the 4770K. You'd still get all those PCIE lanes though.

Overall, running on X79 won't get you a lot more frames than running on Z97 but it'll get you a couple.

Back