• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would go with the z97 and save some money, the 2011 is really side grade unless you need six core CPU.

The board I would pick for quad SLI GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming GT

Last edited:
The CPU has 16 PCIE lanes. You can split them 8/8 or 4/4/4/4. The PLX chip artificially widens this to 16/16 or 8/8/8/8. However, the link to the cpu remains 4/4/4/4.

That is incorrect the link to the CPU is 8x 8x that does not change. The PLX chip splits the lanes form the CPU 8x/8x to split 8x/8X/8X/8x the data coming and going it's bidirectional. It's easy to do it's all the same data duplicated, it's rally is not complicated.

Last edited:
Looking at GPU scalling, 4 cards are waste of money. Also Z97 is like Z87 ... there is nothing new in them except maybe M.2 slot. It's all the same Haswell that we see for about a year now.
If you really wish 4 cards then better wait 2-3 months and get X99 as it was already said in this thread.

Getting 4x R9 290X now can be also waste of money. I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia release new GPU in next 3 months.

Another vote for x99

DDR4, 8c16t and the architectural boost easily makes it worth the wait

As far as GPU's go, wait until the x99 release and see what makes sense then, the landscape will change significantly, and if not nothing lost ... :thup:

Quad SLI or Quad XFire is basically a waste of money, going from 2 to 3 has diminishing returns, but 3 to 4 the gains are very small, maybe drivers will get better ??? Although it is dam cool looking in the case, However you almost have to commit to water cooling as stacking 4 top end beasts in that close of proximity will effect the overall overclock ability of them. you will also need 2x power sources as personally I am not convinced any single unit out there could really push such a system effectively.

Good luck

but x99 is so far away :( lol and i already have the cards and their already watercooled so really no expense lol they already paid for them selves a long time ago

im really only buying a mobo and cpu i have everything else

i guess i just wanted to make a ridiculous pc...

Na, time passes quickly, it will be here before you know it

You may be able to find people getting rid of there 4930K's and boards in preparation for the new release, my be able to pick that platform up on the cheap and still would be beastly :thup:

Na, time passes quickly, it will be here before you know it

You may be able to find people getting rid of there 4930K's and boards in preparation for the new release, my be able to pick that platform up on the cheap and still would be beastly :thup:

I doubt X79 parts will go cheap used. A 2600K is still worth almost $250.

No doubt.... lmao, should have said cheaper , typically see 4930K for around $ 400 to $ 450 used

i would be paying more for old stuff than just buying the latest and greatest lol....

sure DC is only 4 cores but i dont really gain much from 6 cores....

the best thing to do would be to wait x99 but since i already sold my old computer i cant do that lol...

The pick for quad SLI GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming GT you get 4 GPUs in 8x the same that you would get with X79/x99

Honestly whatever you pick will destroy any games you throw at it. X79/X99 is just (will be) the best way to do it today (tomorrow), but costs more. If I were you I'd get the cheapest temporary setup you can (possibly even a cheap 8x/8x SLI 1155/1150 setup) and wait for X99 to release to build your monster with DDR4. Trust me when I say that gaming with 2x 290x is amazing, more than enough to tide you over until X99. Throw the other 2 cards elsewhere and mine with them while waiting.

Also, my X79 setup runs 16x/8x/8x/8x in quad SLI, not 8x/8x/8x/8x. It uses all 40 lanes.

Also, my X79 setup runs 16x/8x/8x/8x in quad SLI, not 8x/8x/8x/8x. It uses all 40 lanes.

No the X79 does not run 16x/8x/8x/8x, you don't have one card running faster than 8x it would be out of sync.

That is like a 16x on 1150 and if your run 8X in the second slot they would be both running 8X.

I would do some checking before buying the Gigabyte Z97. I have a Z97-UD3H and the BIOS has been changed 4 times already and none are all that stable. Some features in the BIOS don't work, and some are really finicky. I am running a 4770K at 4.5GHz. I had better luck with my Z87 board. Hoping they get this BIOS thing worked out.

No the X79 does not run 16x/8x/8x/8x, you don't have one card running faster than 8x it would be out of sync.

That is like a 16x on 1150 and if your run 8X in the second slot they would be both running 8X.

You sure about that? 1150 would run 8x in each slot yes, but it only has 16 lanes to share. My motherboard uses all 40 while gaming. GPU-Z:

54ZwJ9P.jpg

Yes, it does. :thup:

Clip from a review on X79 Big Bang Xpower for another example.

One GPU: x16/x1/-/x1/-/x1/-
Two GPUs: x16/x1/-/x1/x16/x1/-
Three GPUs: x16/x1/x8/x1/x8/x1/-
Four GPUs: x16/x1/x8/x1/x8/x1/x8
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5549/msi-big-bangxpower-ii-x79-review-a-world-of-novelty-heatsinks

The lanes run at the same speed... its the BANDWIDTH that is different between the slots. ;)

Why are there no more x16/x16/x16/x16 motherboards that can do 4 way SLI? Makes me never want to upgrade, lmfao

Were there ever any? I don't recall anything have 64 lanes of PCIe...

I do recall an X79 board or two with a PLX chip, but not sure it would go to 64 lanes...

Back