• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What not to do with water cooling...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

synthetic_fenix

Risen From the Ashes
So I built my Dark Phoenix build 3 years ago this month, was my first project after moving into my own place and my second ever water cooling build. Well I have upgraded around this water cooling setup, but have in that 3 year time frame never tore it down to clean it or anything and have learned now that it is a huge mistake :facepalm:
Attached are what my D-Tek CPU and GPU water blocks look like.

IMAG0351.jpg

IMAG0353.jpg

Well SF according to the water Guru's you should take your system down and clean it every 1 year to 18 months. But in the water cool section is seems Distilled water + PT Nuke wins the day, because it does not seem to damage or degrade any parts. AJ. ;) :thup:

Good luck with the cleaning hope everything went well. :salute:

1, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734842

Just try to read the above thread some good Info to be had.

OOPS TYPO SF!

Last edited:
Oh I know I am supposed to clean it every 1 to 18 months, but I never got around to it, and it was cooling well still. We won't even go into what the inside of the barbs look like for everything.

ooo tasty! i havent taken apart my blocks ever ( but i have 2 new ones now so no real need tbh.) I have broken down my loop and cleaned the pipes ever 6 months or so due to leeching of plasticiser, stuff is really annoying! only using mayhems biocide and deionised as well :*(

man i tore mine down yesterday after over a year, it was pretty clean and i figured it would be fine for another year or two atleast though i could prolly change out the tubing its got plasticizer leeched out big time, though none of it found its way into the block or anything. the block looked the same as day one when i installed it. fittings had some of the usual buildup which cleaned right out.

i imagined 3 years looking worse than that! lol its not terrible. seen what some dyes and crap do in a few months.

oh i know i usually use plasticizer free tubing i just decided to use some colored tubing this go around to look purdy, i used primoflex before, it has plasticizers too. but like i said it hasnt left the tubing and got into anything, it actually seems to be cleaning the water i noticed my water has been getting a pink hue from what ever the previous owner had used in his loop is still in the rad i guess. but it was also stuck in the plasticizer in the walls of the tubing so i guess it helped absorb some of the pink because there was none in my block or fittings at all.

You see Wagex the confusion is the old tubing had a similar name, but the new stuff according to what i have read so far is much better. And allows you 1 year to 18 months before tear downs regards to you. :) :thup:

Change out to new water/ coolant every 6 to 8 month, do a complete cjean up every year, make sure to leak test every time you do a complete clean up.

ah yea im not too worried about it. but thanks for the link :thup: im using some black dangerden tubing that i got on sale for like .50c a foot lol maybe it was less, so i fugured for that cheap what could it hurt :D

isnt plascticiser free tubing expensive/you can onyl get clear stuff? 90% of stuff has it in it, i dont want to put dye in my loop so i would prefer to have plasticiser tubing with dionised and biocide. I just take a straightened out wire hanger and put a bit of sock on the end thats been soaked in warm soapy water and push it through the tubing. Clears it right off, there is only so much plastisicer that can leech out right? I am hoping after the third clean it wont cloud up anymore.... :s fingers crossed.

Last edited:
yea plasticizer free is expensive but i ran it for over a year and it was like new when i took it off i still saved it so i can reuse it once im done with this tubing im using now.

Hello ! I am new here!

I have this plasticizer issue I think by using Primochill advanced lrt tubing. I bought some ek zmt and new fittings and I want to clean everything before installing the new stuff. The inside of the tubing has turned yellow. Is this plasticizer or residues from the radiator? What can I do to remove this dustlike filming? It is more visible inside the fittings and on the d5 pump and reservoir. I can't see it on the nickel plated waterblock.

Hello ! I am new here!

I have this plasticizer issue I think by using Primochill advanced lrt tubing. I bought some ek zmt and new fittings and I want to clean everything before installing the new stuff. The inside of the tubing has turned yellow. Is this plasticizer or residues from the radiator? What can I do to remove this dustlike filming? It is more visible inside the fittings and on the d5 pump and reservoir. I can't see it on the nickel plated waterblock.

Plz do not Necro old threads. Create a new one. Thx-

Back