• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PeterPwned

Hi,

Just two days ago I overclocked my 930 to stable 4 GHz. At first I thought it was cool, because you know its cool to mess with a new platform (first 1366 rig for me). But now, now I just want to keep going, try something more challenging.

So I'd like to know whether it is possible to give this extreme cooling thing a shot, maybe just for a short term project. As far as I comprehend extreme cooling is for the most part comprising imaginative ways of delivering the temperature of very cold liquids to a cpu. That would then mean I'd have to make some sort of pot and fill it with liquid nitrogen?

My concerns are:
1) Where do you get liquid nitrogen, its not like you can get it "around the corner" exactly
2) Which guide/tutorial is best for getting started

Cheers,
Mark

There are a whole bunch of stickies in this section, they're a good place to start. LN2 can be purchased from welding shops, or from specialty places like airgas. The major expense is gonna be getting a dewar, I recommend you call blackhole surplus and see what they have, they seem to have the best prices around. Good luck!

First thing you should do is come to the Benchmarking section and get acquainted with the benchmarking programs that are used in measuring performance. You will want to be well versed with these programs and have solid baseline runs, when you finally do move to subzero cooling.

Just to be clear 4ghz is far from the max that your CPU will do on air/water cooling. I would recommend maxing out your current cooling potential and getting familiar with benchmarking before you make the plunge.

Looking forward to seeing you in the Benchmarking Subforum
We're actually going to be putting on a contest in the next few weeks, feel free to come join.

Back