• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What path should I take with upgrading?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

Earlier in the summer I was planning on building a new desktop to last me until I could fully replace my gaming PC. Unfortunately I had to settle for a laptop due to issues arising and now I am wondering what I should do as far as working on replacing the system. I have two options:

I found out my mobo still works, it's FM2. I also have a single stick of DDR3 1600 RAM, as well as a 500GB HDD, an MSi GTX 750, and a 500w PSU. Obviously this all means I could just buy a new APU/Athlon and call it good, as well as a case.

Obviously the other option is build an entirely new system. If I go this route I will be using an Intel CPU, so I would also need a new mobo and case.

So which one should I go with? I have $285 to work with. If I go the APU/Athlon route, would I be able to squeeze in an SSD? Also at the moment should I try to replace my current RAM with a dual channel kit? An OS is not needed. Also could someone suggest me a decent HDMI monitor with nice response time? I don't see a need for anything over 20".

You're going to have a hard time building any worthwhile intel system with $285. Newegg will occasionally have AMD barebones kits on sale within your price range, check slickdeals for them and/or set a deal alert.

Back