• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What PSU should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDjusD

Okay I am new to building custom PCs and I can't figure this part out, what PSU should I get?

Here's is what all I am about to order:
ASUS P6T7 SuperComputer
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
4 Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache - Raid 5
Pioneer Black Internal Blu-Ray Burner
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
3 EVGA GeForce GTX 480

I need to know what PSU I need, all help is useful. Also can you please make sure that the PSU is one from newegg.com so I can order everything from the same site.

Don't run Furmark or OC heavily. If you want to do either of those things, you'll need a 1200w. Corsair is releasing or just released an absolute beast of a 1200w PSU.

Don't run Furmark or OC heavily. If you want to do either of those things, you'll need a 1200w. Corsair is releasing or just released an absolute beast of a 1200w PSU.

Really? I'm pretty sure the 1000W corsair would have no problems, especially when you look at it on paper....

Really? I'm pretty sure the 1000W corsair would have no problems, especially when you look at it on paper....
Really. :cool:

3 GTX 480's @ ~250W= 750 (stock GPUs only)
1 980x @ 130W stock = ~175W+ depending on o/c/

=925W.

Now it is corsair and all but....I wouldnt want to run anything that close to its max.

So I assume this is for a multi monitor setup DDjusD? :chair:

Whats the reason for 24GB of ram? 12GB would do all but the most intense graphical design people (think 3DS)...

=925W.

Now it is corsair and all but....I wouldnt want to run anything that close to its max.
Why not it's 1000 w and its recommended 1000w PSU this is not the old days of retail overrated PSU. And OEM's run the rated max on the PSU on all the PC's and laptops this has been a excepted practice since the OEM's fist started making PC's.

Anyway what are you basing your facts that a corsair 1000w wont run 5 years at 1000w, are you a corsair engineer, becase I want to know about the product problems not being able to run as advertized 1000w safely.

I understand what its rated at, but no Im not an engineer, I just personally wouldnt run that with a 1kw psu. Too close to the limits IMHO. ;)

People mention all over to get more than you need... thats less headroom than I would like to see. Not to mention trying to overclock those cards would push 1kw and no I wouldnt run my PC at my PSU's limit.

EDIT: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-480-3way-sli-review/25

1009W with a 3.75Ghz I7 965...not even a 4Ghz Hex...Average about 900W, no overclocks on the cards. You o/c all three of those and you push 1000w constant, no thanks. ;)

gtx480 is 250w TDP, in furmark it's over 300w.
OC'd it's at or over 300w as well.

So, 300w per GPU is 900w, that's a reasonable OC.

980x runs 130w stock, OC it to 4ghz and you're at more like 150-170w.
That gives you 1050 to 1070 watts used.

1000w will work for stock clocks and no furmark, like i said.
OC any of the parts and you're over 1kw.

Run furmark and you'll get 1kw from the GPUs alone.

Ok I did some double checking, your system will pull 1000w from the wall at peek load at 80% efficiency, that means your system will be pulling from the PSU 800w and you will have 200w leftover for overclocking.:)

Last edited:
first things first. why do you need 24 gb of ram? there is no need for that much ram. 6 gigs is all you need really. and with the money saved u could get the corsair dominator gtx-2, the best ram on the planet. 1500 dollars for 6 gigs!! each stick runs at 2200mhz 8-8-8-22 I believe. THATS unreal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...371032&cm_re=1200w_psu-_-17-371-032-_-Product

I strongly recommend getting this psu to make sure u have plenty of power. its a really great overclocking psu as well! but tbh the hx1000w would be more than enough. it actually can put out about 1100w of power at peak. corsair psus are underrated

So it goes. I kinda thought that basic math would do the trick.

(3 x 250 + 130) x 1.2 = total consumed w/mid range OCing.

Well my vote would go for going with a solid 1200 watt model, With what Newegg currently has on hand likely the Antec Quatro 1200, If at all possible I would hold out till they get the Corsair AX1200 in stock.

=925W.

So I assume this is for a multi monitor setup DDjusD? :chair:

Whats the reason for 24GB of ram? 12GB would do all but the most intense graphical design people (think 3DS)...

I missed the '3x' part of that list :) I agree that you should have some overhead because running something at its max will undoubtbly shorten its life span.

He would have to run it 24/7 to the max and it's good for 5 years, corsair stands behind there PSU wattage, Intel will only warrantys there CPU's for 3 years to the max.

Or, you know, OC it and run a demanding game. Presto! OCP shutdown.

It's not recommended to treat PSU ratings like CPU speed ratings.
CPUs overclock well.
PSUs do not overload well.

ddjusd:welcome:

I'm a noob at overclocking and I'm upgrading my system at this time too, and I didn't see anyone suggest you might like to try the sticky link below regarding computing your PowerSupply needs. If someone did mention it--sorry--I may have read too fast.

I used that, and it helps me "think" I'm doing my homework, but who knows.

You might want to give it a try. Its easy to use. I just used the non pro free version.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Goodluck Tom

Or, you know, OC it and run a demanding game. Presto! OCP shutdown.

It's not recommended to treat PSU ratings like CPU speed ratings.
CPUs overclock well.
PSUs do not overload well.

They can't sell a 1700w PSU without requiring 220v.
No it's a oveclocked 1200w LOL
LINK:

I'm kind of curious now, what does the corsair 1000w-1200w shut down at, real world testing.

Sorry I was away but no, it is one one monitor and I didn't plan to overclock it at the moment but I would really like to mainly because some of the specs trubritar got in this video,

Back