• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shaqxolotl

This is another one of those "what" threads, so here it goes.

What power supply is better?

This> OCZ Fatal1ty Series 750W Modular

Or this> Antec High Current Gamer 750W Power Supply HCG-750

Sorry for no links, I'm on my iPod.

Also is 750w enough for a 6970 or gtx 580 running on a sandy bridge 2600k, with 8gb of ram, bitfenix colosuss case, 300gb WD velociraptor hdd (maybe a 60gb ssd for windows 7 ultimate OS and applications), asus optical drive, extra 2 140mm fans with an added aftermarket CPU cooler and a gaming monitor, keyboard, mice and headset? also a asus ROG motherboard? I also plan on Oc'ing. is 750w enough or do I need a 850w?

Thanks in advance!

This is another one of those "what" threads, so here it goes.

What power supply is better?

This> OCZ Fatal1ty Series 750W Modular

Or this> Antec High Current Gamer 750W Power Supply HCG-750

Sorry for no links, I'm on my iPod.

Also is 750w enough for a 6970 or gtx 580 running on a sandy bridge 2600k, with 8gb of ram, bitfenix colosuss case, 300gb WD velociraptor hdd (maybe a 60gb ssd for windows 7 ultimate OS and applications), asus optical drive, extra 2 140mm fans with an added aftermarket CPU cooler and a gaming monitor, keyboard, mice and headset? also a asus ROG motherboard? I also plan on Oc'ing. is 750w enough or do I need a 850w?

Thanks in advance!

750W is enough for any video card, including dual GPU cards, assuming that the PSU is of a good quality.

I recommend you get something bigger like a TX950 because that way you can easily go SLI/Crossfire in the future without having to upgrade your PSU. Oh, and many of the Corsair PSUs have a 5+ year manufacturers warranty.

That setup could get away with a quality 550W unit. ;)

With that said, unless you are planning on going SLI with that 580, 750W would be plenty. Of the two you listed, HCG-750 would be my choice.

Ok, I'm a bit confused on what to get? So 750W is enough for that build with breathing space? I am going to overclock it so keep that in mind.

Also I don't thinks I will ever go crossfire or SLI because the monitors resolution is only 1900x1080 or whatever on a 23" monitor so I don't think there is a need to go Xfire or SLI. I might as well just het a new card by then, am I right in saying that?

Thanks!

Also I don't thinks I will ever go crossfire or SLI because the monitors resolution is only 1900x1080 or whatever on a 23" monitor so I don't think there is a need to go Xfire or SLI. I might as well just het a new card by then, am I right in saying that?

Thanks!

Going SLI or Crossfire is often cheaper than buying a single high end card, so that is part of the reason why people use SLI/Crossfire.

So what size PSU do you recommend then? The 900W of the antec gamer series? Remember, I will be Oc'ing and MIGHT do Xfire or SLI.

Thanks!

Ok, I'm a bit confused on what to get? So 750W is enough for that build with breathing space? I am going to overclock it so keep that in mind.

Thanks!
Yes...750W is PLENTY for your current setup and plenty more. 650W would even be fine with a quality PSU...overclocking both CPU and GPU included.

I wouldnt SLI/Crossfire at that res either. You have a single 580 and that is plenty for that res for a while to come.

Back