• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cdawall

I am updating my water cooling and thinking about swapping the radiator. I currently have a Swiftech MCR240QP, but I could fit a thick radiator in the location of this one and in theory drop temps/lower fan speed under load. The build is white and black and I wouldn't mind keeping the theme and run a white radiator. So far I am looking at a couple hwlabs units, but can't decide if it's even worth swapping the radiator out to begin with.

The couple of rads I have seen (and I am open to suggestions regardless of color)

http://www.performance-pcs.com/blac...e-xtreme-profile-radiator-white.html#Features

http://www.performance-pcs.com/hard...port-satin-white-radiator-240mm.html#Features

Also quick note I am using a pair of 3 blade Delta PWM fans that run at 700RPM idle and 1500-2000RPM when the CPU warms up.

I don't think you'll see a significant temp drop between those 240mm rads other then possibly lowering the audibles with say the SR2 9FPI rad from BI. BI is actually my go to rads and use all SR1s from their first gen. You could literally run rad fans on those SR2s at the sub 1000 RPM no problem but that doesn't mean you will have great temps. That all depends if you have enough heat surface and air/water flow but in the end, if you want a pretty quiet setup, the SR2s are the ones to take a good look at.

Also, if you don't care about quietness but need the most out of your rads, keep the QP @ 12 FPI or go with the BI XP @ 16 FPI since it should run more efficient at those higher speeds then a lower FPI rad. Really up to you but again, you won't see anything significant. My guess, maybe a 5c different at the most extreme as I might be biting my tongue on that one.

I really don't expect much difference from the mcr220 I currently have. I was hoping more to keep the fans in the 700-1000rpm range and hold the same temperature I had before.

I really don't expect much difference from the mcr220 I currently have. I was hoping more to keep the fans in the 700-1000rpm range and hold the same temperature I had before.

You might want to change up the fans would be my next thought. Check this round off done by our very own to see if maybe you could upgrade the fans to lower audibles while maintaining a higher RPM.

You might want to change up the fans would be my next thought. Check this round off done by our very own to see if maybe you could upgrade the fans to lower audibles while maintaining a higher RPM.

They are 120x38MM delta UHS fans, nothing in that benchmark is even half the static pressure.

They are 120x38MM delta UHS fans, nothing in that benchmark is even half the static pressure.

Then you should stick with what you have and see if you can fit more rad some how to the loop if you want lower RPMs and better delta temps.

That's the issue the case doesn't have room. I might give a thick rad a shot just because, worst case it does nothing, but lower noise.

proxy-php.jpg

Now I did experiment with this when I was first setting it up, but didn't have the right barbs for the ancient MCR220 you see pictures (it isn't G1/4). I could in theory just grab another MCR220 and run them stacked.

proxy-php809.jpg

Last edited:
So wait a min. Is this all just to have a white radiator or lower temps and sound? I think you're fine the way you have it, mind you I thought this was a CPU + GPU loop. 120.2 is enough for a CPU only loop. If you had a thicker rad, you leave less room and a more congested space for air flow.

So wait a min. Is this all just to have a white radiator or lower temps and sound? I think you're fine the way you have it, mind you I thought this was a CPU + GPU loop. 120.2 is enough for a CPU only loop. If you had a thicker rad, you leave less room and a more congested space for air flow.

I was hoping for a combo of the two. I was looking at a better radiator and noticed there were some nice looking white ones out there. I do intend to swap in waterblocked RX480's when the process improves and they can get into the 95TDP range.

That should put me at 95w (115ish overclocked) doubled for xfire, and the cpu is probably in the 180-220w range with the heavy overclock on it. That would be a bit much for my thin single MCR220 I believe, but toss a thicker rad in or double the MCR220's and I assume it would be fine.

Last edited:
120.4 at a minimum of rad I would recommend. Thick or not, making sure they fit well.

I would stick the second 120.2 up top as exhaust if possible. Sandwiching them isn't a great idea since you'll be blowing the warming air from the 1st to the 2nd.

120.4 at a minimum of rad I would recommend. Thick or not, making sure they fit well.

To fit that much radiator they would have to stay thin. Case doesn't have room for more.

I would stick the second 120.2 up top as exhaust if possible. Sandwiching them isn't a great idea since you'll be blowing the warming air from the 1st to the 2nd.

When I tear it down I will see if I can get one to fit, I wish I could have just used my MCR320 in the top and been done. That would have been cutting it close, but would be fine for most situations.

You aren't running 30 FPI radiators that were the norm 10 years ago, therefore you don't need very high static pressure for rads. You could find the best designed fan that has some decent static pressure for your 12 FPI rads that result in very much less audibles.

Most of their life these only run at 700RPM they aren't exactly loud. Quieter than the Corsair SP's I replaced.

1115162208-hdr.jpg

So I did a thing, just to see. Fans are now set to 700-900RPM depending on temps and make next to no noise with load temps at just 61C (a couple C drop over the single at higher RPM)

Back