• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What RAM module should I use ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Hey guys I was wondering , is it ok if i use only 1X 4GB RAM ?

Or

Its better to have 2X instead of 1X of RAM ?

Also why is 2X 2GB as expensive / more expensive sometimes than a 1X 4GB ?

Both are same MHZ

I know that if I were to use 1X Im using 1 channel. For 2X I will get the Dual Channel effect.

Also does Dual Channel = the work split to two RAM instead of one RAM working everything ?

How much GB of RAM do we need these days ? Back then I remember we always complain , damn my PC not enough RAM , then game lag , loading slow etc. Adding RAM improve performance by a lot lol

Not sure about now , even my gaming Magazine I read they are still only using 2 X 2GB Dual Channel Kingston HyperX 1600MHZ , rather shocked. They go for 16 GB for their Mobo they using

You want 2x instead of 1x, because you need a pair to operate in dual channel. Dual channel allows the processor to access both sticks of memory at the same time. Running two sticks in parallel is much faster than running one by itself.

As far as 2x vs 1x prices, we can't really say because we have no idea what sticks you're looking at. Maybe the latencies are different or the voltage, who knows. :shrug:

Since RAM is cheap these days, I'd go with no less than 8GB. You shouldn't need any more than that, depending on what you do. If you're into heavy photo/video/audio manipulation/creation, maybe 16GB would be a better choice. When considering both of those quantities, I'd go for a two-stick kit (as opposed to four). It's easier on the IMC.

If you're curious for more detail, read: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About SDRAM (Memory): But Were Afraid to Ask. It's a little long in the tooth now, but still very good.

Uh im building my PC for gaming. Well cheap hmm i wont really put it cheap to me...but its not too expensive and since as im under budget building my PC ( long story ) i try to go with something not over 40 - 50 USD

What if i do this....i get 2 X 2GB 1600mhz RAM , lets take Corsair Vengeance Low Profile for an example.

So....in future can i add in 1 X or maybe 2 X 4GB 1600mhz RAM ? Can it work that way ?

Because currently running 2 sticks are 2 GB then suddenly i add a RAM that 1 stick 4 GB instead , if possible maybe i would do this , i will just stick to 4 GB atm then add in more in future

Here's the link to both Corsair Vengeance LP RAM

2X2GB

http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by...hannel-ddr3-memory-kit-cml4gx3m2a1600c9b.html

2X4GB

http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by...hannel-ddr3-memory-kit-cml8gx3m2a1600c9b.html

Also some i see they run 12 GB, does that mean they only have 3 sticks ?

Get all the RAM you want at one time. RAM chips change as time goes on, even for the same model of kit. Trying to run two sets of RAM with different ICs on them will give you nothing but troubles, even if they're rated for the same speed/timings/voltage. IMHO, go with the 8GB set and be happy. That way you won't need to worry about upgrading down the road. There are plenty of 8G / DDR3-1600 / 9-9-9-24 kits ~$50.

No, you do not want to add 1x stick of RAM. As I said, you need to run dual channel. Stop thinking about 1x stick of RAM.

Some kits have 12GB because they're for X58-based triple-channel systems. Don't get a kit with three sticks, you'll be running in single channel again. Populate either two or four DIMMs, assuming you're building on an AMD or dual-channel Intel setup. We don't know what CPU / board you're going with, so I'm guessing here, but the chances of you running X58 at this point are pretty slim.

Tks Knunfire , wao i never knew was this complicated too ! I thought its just a simple plug and play zzz

Sadly hokiealumnus we do have all this models as you shown me on Newegg , but you guys there sell are cheap !

We here are still selling them for over 60 - 70 bucks ! ( Its hell lot for me because USD is 3X )

Ugh , maybe the price list I look yet isn't the one i go to , because they have 2 shops , sometime both their shops have different prices.

I will have to go bit of window shopping first, then i only can confirm what to get.

Worst case senario , just get 2 X 4GB 1333mhz , normal looking RAM , which is very sad
=(

Worst case senario , just get 2 X 4GB 1333mhz , normal looking RAM , which is very sad
=(

Don't get depressed about it. Ram is ram and it does the same thing whether or not it has pretty heatsinks or not. And without those tall, fancy heatsinks you don't have to worry about it fitting in under a big CPU cooler. Moreover, tests show that anything faster than 1333 mhz has very little real performance advantage.

Note that one of the highest OCing kits that this site has reviews is low profile kit with no heatsink... looks like cheapo junk RAM at meh specs at first glance. OCed to hell and back, lol.

Don't get depressed about it. Ram is ram and it does the same thing whether or not it has pretty heatsinks or not. And without those tall, fancy heatsinks you don't have to worry about it fitting in under a big CPU cooler. Moreover, tests show that anything faster than 1333 mhz has very little real performance advantage.

Yeah i guess your right , what i heard is that extra few mhz its only important if your doing benchmarking because your still consider winner even if you winning by 1 point lol

Wao Knufire i didnt know that lol , thats a shock.

But i never knew RAM is OCable , till now , how do you OC your RAM anyways ? Via Mobo ?

Yeah i guess your right , what i heard is that extra few mhz its only important if your doing benchmarking because your still consider winner even if you winning by 1 point lol

Wao Knufire i didnt know that lol , thats a shock.

But i never knew RAM is OCable , till now , how do you OC your RAM anyways ? Via Mobo ?

http://www.overclockers.com/samsung-ddr3-1600-ram

Yeah, in the BIOS. There's no real reason benefit to doing it outside benchmarking. On CPUs before Sandy Bridge, you had to OC via the FSB instead of the multiplier, so OCing your CPU OCed everything (including RAM).

Back