• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What screwdriver/tool for an Athlon 850, Slot A?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captainmpirical

Registered
I want see which Athlon I have. I'm (kind of) new to hardware, and'm not sure what screwdriver to use, or the removal procedure, either.
I'm studying for my A+ Certification. I might upgrade to a new processor, but want to see whether it's a classic or T-bird, 1st. Basically, we've got a lab to upgrade the processor, so I'm just trying to complete a lab (lucky this old thing still works) .

I "guess" I'll need thermal paste, too (it's a "Slot A" with a heat sink [see pic])

Can I tell by looking at the processor-string (XP) in My Computer 's properties? It's:
x86 family 6 Model 2 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~848Mhz

I tried torx-bits....that doesn't seem to be what those top 2 screws need.

Help. What do I use for the top 2 screws?

Attachments

• 1cpu0347.jpg
    1cpu0347.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 1cpuTopScrew0352.jpg
    1cpuTopScrew0352.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 49
looks like an ordinary ol torx you should be able to get it with a small flathead as well

Success....thanks! I just had to find the correct size flat-head--"slotted" (we used to call 'em [go figure] ) screwdriver.

It's a K7850MPR52B A

Back