• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What should I do with my X1800 stock cooler? Ideas wanted!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anubis_386

I recently purchased an ATI X1800 GTO but as the stock cooler is s**t I replaced it with a Zalaman one . . . . So now I have a pretty cool looking cooler lying around and I would hate for it to go to waste so if anyone has any ideas for what I could use it for please post them!

That’s a pic of my card with the stock cooler still on it but u can see what I have to work with . . . . So any ideas just post.
GPU1.jpg

Ta

cut it up and make a

North or south bridhe cooler
harddrive cooler?

cut it up into little pieces and put them on anything that gets hot in your system :d

make some ram sinks ? for your ddr?

um i wouldnt do anything to it since well u need it if anything happens to your video card for a rma lol :) always save mine just in case

redrumy3 said:
um i wouldnt do anything to it since well u need it if anything happens to your video card for a rma lol :) always save mine just in case

As in something that was caused by you on the card so make it look like you did nothing to it right..............

Thanks, now we know why there are re-stocking fee's - appreciated man, keep sending back cards you voided the warrenty on.

Just lopped the stock cooler off of my brand new x1800xt and I'm also looking for something neat to do with it! Let the ideas roll in.

P.S. ->I would also like to keep this in one piece, if the MCW60 on my 1800 ever poops itself like the polytop on my DDEN WhiteWater did I'll be needing to reinstall it.

Right so we have established that we shouldn't cut up or mod the stock cooler increase we f**k up our cards in some way but that doesn’t mean we can't still use em . . . . . the only problem I can see if how to connect them to a power supply as the cable on mine is like a small version of the standard 3-pin fan one (I’ve circled it in blue on the pic . . . . (u can't see it that well but it should give u an idea)

GPU2.gif

So where can it be plugged in . . . . Or is there an adapter around?

there are lots of places in the computer that you can take the power from, but unfortunatly there are none with that connector therefore you will have to cut off that connector, which will be anoying if you ever put the stock cooler back on.

The places that i would say you could get power from are:

fan power sources on the motherboard, they look like the one on the graphics card but bigger (noramlly i think)

also you could use something like a spair floppy disk connector.

I would always put a varible resistor in though to ensure that you do not 'blow' the fan with too much power.

Anyway some one here should have a better idea as i am sure someone has done this before.

hope that helps

tom

what i would do is take a normal 3 pin fan connector, strip its wires ends and then tin them with solder. then you can stick the wires into the pin holes on the fans stock connector, and you're good to go. the solder is used to keep the wires stiff so they'll go in without bending.

Back