• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What should I plan on replacing or maintaining long term?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorePower!

I built my rig a few years ago with the help of the posters on this forum (mainly Knufire helped me pick the parts) and as I'm approaching 3 years of ownership I'm wondering what types of maintenance or replacements I should be prepared for before my next upgrade. I guess I'm mainly concerned about fans, the PSU, the thermal grease on my cpu and anything else that could wear out. So far I've been lucky with nothing really needing to be swapped out except the gpu.

I built my rig a few years ago with the help of the posters on this forum (mainly Knufire helped me pick the parts) and as I'm approaching 3 years of ownership I'm wondering what types of maintenance or replacements I should be prepared for before my next upgrade. I guess I'm mainly concerned about fans, the PSU, the thermal grease on my cpu and anything else that could wear out. So far I've been lucky with nothing really needing to be swapped out except the gpu.

I have a similar system (see my sig) I basically asked this same question a couple weeks ago ( http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743968 )

got the same answer: Not worth upgrading at this time

The reality is the 2500k is a damn good Cpu still if anything the Gpu may need to be updated. That said if the Gpu plays games to your expectations and you're happy with it then leave it alone. Give it a good blow out like NiHaoMike, suggested maybe get a brush and clean the fans up and call it a day.

Back