• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to buy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bardock

Hey guys,
Im having some spare money and I intend to buy a new RAM kit and I find myself between the Crucial Ballistix tactical vs the Crucial Ballistix tactical LP. Due to space limitations, i'm thinking of buying the LPs and since their power consuption is slightly lower and heat release is less.

What's the true difference between them? Since the cost difference between them is not much of a deal i'm leaning towards the LPs.

Thx in advance

You already noted the differences... LPs = less power consumption / lower power requirement, reduced heat, and a low profile design.

It's more like theory than what you see in real. Since 1 memory stick uses ~2W max then lowering voltage from 1.5 to 1.35V won't change temps or power usage much. In general Crucials are not working at high temps and for example Crucial Elite @1.7V had up to 45*C under nearly full load without fan ( there is thermal sensor ).

I had some issues running Tactical LP on CHVF/990FX. It was working stable at standard 1600 8-8-8-24 settings but I had to set a bit higher voltage. It was also almost not overclocking on AMD board while Elite series based on 4GB sticks were working without issues up to 2133.
It doens't mean it will work the same on other AMD boards but I just wanted to share my experience since I was testing Tactical LP on couple of boards. Here is my review but made on Intel.

Thank you guys for your responses.

@Woomack Your review seems to have given out all the points that I originally prefered to buy the LPs, so I think I'll go for them. I'll actually overclock them onto a M5A97 and a M5A99X mobo and I'll give u my results. Again thx for the help, I'll be seeing u around :)

Back