• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What upgrade is better

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vol7ron

Registered
which one of these builds is better for gaming and any suggestions would be helpful, please keep in mind my budget is £400- £500
upgrade setup 2.jpg upgrade setup.jpg

I like the first one because of intel prcessor and cheaper GPU, which is usually has only 2fps less than r9 280, but $30cheaper+gigabite gtx760 supposed to be very good. I personally got MSI.

I notice with the second build you have Kingston RAM included. You need to know that Kingston doesn't play well with AMD. Get GSkill instead.

I like the video card in the second build better.

The CPU in the first build will give you slightly better performance in gaming. Intel's per core performance is considerably better than AMD's at this point in time. If you heavily overclock the FX-8350 it might be more or less equal to the Intel CPU of the first build but if you would overclock the FX-8350 you would need to move up to an Asus Sabertooth motherboard and you would also need to move up to better CPU cooling.

Last edited:
760 and 280 are almost neck and neck. Go for the Intel build. You can even cut to an i5 4460 and an H81 board. Go Intel. Blue team. FTW.

Yeah, but the 280X does outperform the GTX 760 even if not by a lot. And for a difference of $5 why not get the faster one? OCNoob, that's along the lines of what you yourself have generally advised in a number of other posts when you give advice for spending other's money.

Yeah, but the 280X does outperform the GTX 760 even if not by a lot. And for a difference of $5 why not get the faster one? OCNoob, that's along the lines of what you yourself have generally advised in a number of other posts when you give advice for spending other's money.

It's $5 more for a 280X vs a 760 now? Definitely take the 280X. Hadn't realized the prices were that close. APpologies.

280x and gtx 760 are not 5$ apart in the UK. The well regarded Windforce gtx 760 can be had for around 40 pounds cheaper than the cheapest XFX 280x, thats 62$.

280x and gtx 760 are not 5$ apart in the UK. The well regarded Windforce gtx 760 can be had for around 40 pounds cheaper than the cheapest XFX 280x, thats 62$.

Regardless, 280X is better than 760 by a small but significant margin. Is it worth the price difference? At $62 I'd have to say no. But that's up to the OP.
Sad that he wasn't in the USA on Black Friday. 290s were $199.

Regardless, 280X is better than 760 by a small but significant margin. Is it worth the price difference? At $62 I'd have to say no. But that's up to the OP.
Sad that he wasn't in the USA on Black Friday. 290s were $199.

Those things sold out so fast anyway haha. I went to get one and they were freaking gone :-/

I agree, for 62$, the 3 fps youre gonna get on AAA titles isn't worth it imo.

edit: why were we discussing the 280x anyway lol. He's looking at the 280. That one can be debated, I would go 280 if prices were the same.

edit 2: what the hell is with the prices in the uk on the 280x. The windforce 280 is 9 pounds cheaper than the 760, thats the clear winner here.

yeah, the 760's are 2 or 4gb, and all the 280/280x's are 3gb. For most, if not all 1080p applications, 2gb seems to be "enough". I haven't delved into FC4 yet, so that may be a new animal for me lol

I like the Intel build ,

you could look into a used card.

680's and 7970's can easily be found for under the amount you intend to spend

May even find a 780 or a 290 for only a few more bucks

Agreed. Used GPUs are usually a pretty safe bet. Ask the seller if the voltage has ever been pushed really high first though. You don't want that. You want a virgin card.
Ebay, kijiji, redflagdeals are good places to find a used GPU.

I like the first one because of intel prcessor and cheaper GPU, which is usually has only 2fps less than r9 280, but $30cheaper+gigabite gtx760 supposed to be very good. I personally got MSI.

I doubt that nvidia card is only 2 fps less then a 280.....
Id say go for 2nd setup.

Agreed. Used GPUs are usually a pretty safe bet. Ask the seller if the voltage has ever been pushed really high first though. You don't want that. You want a virgin card.
Ebay, kijiji, redflagdeals are good places to find a used GPU.

UK dude. Still has VAT and shipping to contend with. Local sales would be difficult if hes not living in an urban area.

The setup with the wrong board, wrong RAM you mean? The one that'll underperform the first one in gaming? That one?

Here we go another intel amd dumb debate. Im not going to write an essay but umm lets see 8350 50 bucks cheaper will handle any game you throw at it and can OC like a champ. Same amount of RAM and better video card. Keyword of his post is gaming, not highest default clock speed FPU or ALU computation on CPU. Which the 8350 will aniquilate once OCed. Ill be happy to post you my benches in a few weeks once I OC this rebuild ;)

Firstly, aniquilate is not a word. Secondly, 8350 falls behind i5 in framerates all the time. Thirdly, that board wasn't going to be enough to handle an OC'd 8350 anyways. The Intel build is always better for gaming.

Last edited:
Back