• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would happen IF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Man, you do ask alot of questions don't you :p . Just back up everything you want, either on to cd or onto the second drive, and leave it at that. Build your new rig, boot from CD with XP and format the drive you want to install on. Theres no need to format before hand.

Sjaak said:
When i switched mobo's, windows BSOD @ bootup, so i just took the cd and did a reinstall.

Yup... just switch all the parts, boot up, insert windows CD, boot to setup, and select the "REPAIR", let it do its thing and you should be set.

Works for me. :)

i had a p2 450 and i took the 60bg hd that had winxp on it and put it on an athlon xp 2600box with asus mobo not sure what modle but it worked fine.

manny2326 said:
i had a p2 450 and i took the 60bg hd that had winxp on it and put it on an athlon xp 2600box with asus mobo not sure what modle but it worked fine.

you've been lucky. i switched form 850E to 875P, and it all went wrong. From this 875P back to some lousy P1 chipset (old mobo for testing) however, is not a problem :p

Whenever windows gets installed, it gets optimized for the current chipset and peripherals on the Mobo. Lots of drivers, IRQ adresses, etc. are set. When you change mobo, they all become different, so windows needs te reinstall to reset all the options accordingly to the new mobo and chipset.

If you're going from one Intel 800 chipset to another Intel 800 series chipset, you may get away without reinstalling the XP. You need to have SP1 or XP will lock you out. Just install the latest chipset drivers from Intel and make a backup of your files before you change motherboards. This doesn't mean your OS will perform at its peak. I've switched several Intel chipped motherboards without reinstalling the OS.
With Via or nvidia chipsets, most likely you will need to reinstall or repair XP.

Zatrix said:
how can i format the drive AFTER i install the mobo WITHOUT booting my comp first?

You dont boot. You use dos. If you cant use dos, you need to either learn to boot to the windows XP CD, or have someone else that knows what their doing do it. As I have said, boot to the windows CD, select repair, and your done. Nothing else. Nothing more.

Back