• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good gaming Keyboard? (2012 edition)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Report me if you like, if it makes you feel better. Mods will only see that you have been disrespectful as well. I will accept that i should not have responded just as rudely tho. But as ive said, im done. Had you not been so arrogant and disrespectful in the first place, i would have taken your information with alittle more weight.

I promise you that I wasn't intending to be rude, only make it VERY clear that you were wrong about Rosewill, and that the G110 is NOT a high end keyboard. We'll concede that the G110 is better than your bare minimum came with your dell menbranes, but only because it's got the backlighting and macro keys. This however does not make it a good keyboard, and it's lack of 6KRO, in my honest opinion make it a failure as a gaming keyboard. 6KRO is a requirement for high end gaming. A gaming product should be useful to top end gamers. Mid range at best, but I still consider it a low end board bested by the X4 which costs half what the G110 costs. (just saying)

That said, I want to make it very clear that I wasn't rude, haughty, or anything else you're trying to peg me with*. I DID report you, the MODS GOT BACK TO ME, and simply told me to cite my sources. And other members messaged me applauding me on how I handled this confrontation, using the word perfect. So I'm confused... you seem to still be upset about my trashing on the G110 more so than anything else. Anybody else reading my posts would probably wonder what you're even talking about.

Sorry, once again. Not trying to be rude, and I've made all the points I can make. If you still think I'm being rude, I would ask you leave the thread and come back with a clear head and re-read what I've posted. I honestly thing that the information in this thread can enrich your geek life, and the posts I've linked to do a much better job than what I've done... but those are multipage thesis's on keyboards and what I provided was mostly a summation of that information offering less options and more direction (simplicity and ease).

Take care!

*: The closest thing that came to being rude was my asking others to ignore you in regards to keyboards, simply to defend my ability to guide others in the right directions keyboard wise. We don't want or need the blind guiding the blind. Nobody gets anywhere that way, you know what I mean? Others can recommend high end offerings and I wouldn't have taken offense to your suggesting yours, or even say what they're using and how satisfied they are, but there has been an attack (with invalid/unrelated information) on a well thought out and well presented set of recommendations, and is the sole reason why I'm so defensive here. I don't care what you think of me, it's the part where my ability to help others** is being hindered that I'm getting defensive about.

**: I left these forums a few weeks ago and only came back to help others. Could care less about anything else and rarely need help myself. I think the last time I needed help was asking for a screw size for mounting some server rails so I don't have to go to Lowe's during my lunch.

Last edited:
You guys realize you're reporting each other's posts and arguing about keyboards, right?

Quit the silliness and reporting each others' posts and go overclock something. If you like a keyboard, great! If you don't, great! If you don't like what someone else says they like, get over it. I'm sure we all have more important things to do than deal with what is actually a reasonably benign disagreement over keyboards.

You guys realize you're reporting each other's posts and arguing about keyboards, right?

Quit the silliness and reporting each others' posts and go overclock something. If you like a keyboard, great! If you don't, great! If you don't like what someone else says they like, get over it. I'm sure we all have more important things to do than deal with what is actually a reasonably benign disagreement over keyboards.

Haha.. yea i did think about that after awhile. Very stupid thing to argue about indeed. Made me laugh after i thought about it.

I promise you that I wasn't intending to be rude, only make it VERY clear that you were wrong about Rosewill, and that the G110 is NOT a high end keyboard. We'll concede that the G110 is better than your bare minimum came with your dell menbranes, but only because it's got the backlighting and macro keys. This however does not make it a good keyboard, and it's lack of 6KRO, in my honest opinion make it a failure as a gaming keyboard. 6KRO is a requirement for high end gaming. A gaming product should be useful to top end gamers. Mid range at best, but I still consider it a low end board bested by the X4 which costs half what the G110 costs. (just saying)

Eh well. thats your opinion. Not mine.

Last edited:
I dumped th fancy Logitech jammies as they require extra software running to fully utilize them.

I dont need macros or anything fancy, so I bought, 5 HP USB KBs and mouses for $40. Nice tactile sensation for a membrane KB, and it is full size with numpad.

Apart from that I would hit up yard sales and grab old Keyboards. last batch I got was 3 for a buck :)

Eh well. thats your opinion. Not mine.

Not having a compulsion to upgrade is a good thing and I'm happy for you. With that said, the vast majority of computer users have no compulsion to upgrade past the included keyboard from their dell/hp/etc. This doesn't mean anything about the quality of the keyboard, only the demandingness of the user. If what you have satisfies you, then you're at a good spot, but you've upgraded once, I wouldn't be surprised if you upgraded again and mechanical is easily the next step. I think an important point is, once you go mechanical you don't go back; which is to say it's something that creeps up on you. Once you buy one, use it, etc, anything else disgusts you although I can say it's not usually night and day. The only keyboards that are night and day are the cherry blues which are radically different from anything else available. Mechy's just feel so much better. I've seen ONE report of a user actually sending his mechanical keyboard back and continuing to use his membrane. This may well be for lack of searching, though.

That all said, I used to have the same lack of interest in high end audio gear. What I had was sufficient, and I couldn't fathom anybody needing more. Now I'm looking at audio equipment daily and constantly researching new things (currently eyeing a musiland 01 us for a bedroom rig for quiet/private listening). At the moment, I have a 1500$ headphone setup at my desk and still thinking I could stand to have a bit more quality (better version of my current amp is on it's way with me likely keeping the old one for the bedroom rig). So I think it really stands on that point, once you try it, you don't go back. Few people get a higher level of performance and downgrade, and those that do typically do so for a very small performance difference.

So I can see why you feel this way, but this is a dead issue now, so for anybody (including you good sir) if you're interested in higher end keyboards, I can always try to help (but I really think my prior post outlining usage cases will be as much assistance as anybody will need).

BTW, if you're willing to try something on a lark and forgive me for any rudeness, the Blackwidow Stealth is in stock, has function keys, cherry browns (the best gaming switch in my opinion), back lighting, and audio outputs (though they are pass through). It's the closest thing to what you have, without straying too far into something else entirely. That said, if you need separate sound card operation I'd suggest getting an x-fi for your speakers and using the onboard for voip, then you have the keyboard and the front of the case to plug in to for the same device. Just a thought. :)

Last edited:
Not having a compulsion to upgrade is a good thing and I'm happy for you. With that said, the vast majority of computer users have no compulsion to upgrade past the included keyboard from their dell/hp/etc. This doesn't mean anything about the quality of the keyboard, only the demandingness of the user. If what you have satisfies you, then you're at a good spot, but you've upgraded once, I wouldn't be surprised if you upgraded again and mechanical is easily the next step. I think an important point is, once you go mechanical you don't go back; which is to say it's something that creeps up on you. Once you buy one, use it, etc, anything else disgusts you although I can say it's not usually night and day. The only keyboards that are night and day are the cherry blues which are radically different from anything else available. Mechy's just feel so much better. I've seen ONE report of a user actually sending his mechanical keyboard back and continuing to use his membrane. This may well be for lack of searching, though.

That all said, I used to have the same lack of interest in high end audio gear. What I had was sufficient, and I couldn't fathom anybody needing more. Now I'm looking at audio equipment daily and constantly researching new things (currently eyeing a musiland 01 us for a bedroom rig for quiet/private listening). At the moment, I have a 1500$ headphone setup at my desk and still thinking I could stand to have a bit more quality (better version of my current amp is on it's way with me likely keeping the old one for the bedroom rig). So I think it really stands on that point, once you try it, you don't go back. Few people get a higher level of performance and downgrade, and those that do typically do so for a very small performance difference.

So I can see why you feel this way, but this is a dead issue now, so for anybody (including you good sir) if you're interested in higher end keyboards, I can always try to help (but I really think my prior post outlining usage cases will be as much assistance as anybody will need).

BTW, if you're willing to try something on a lark and forgive me for any rudeness, the Blackwidow Stealth is in stock, has function keys, cherry browns (the best gaming switch in my opinion), back lighting, and audio outputs (though they are pass through). It's the closest thing to what you have, without straying too far into something else entirely. That said, if you need separate sound card operation I'd suggest getting an x-fi for your speakers and using the onboard for voip, then you have the keyboard and the front of the case to plug in to for the same device. Just a thought. :)

I dont doubt that i would upgrade again at some later date. I just purchased all of the stuff in my sig, and im keeping the g110 as the keyboard for it. A co-worker of mine has a Daskeyboard for his work computer (which is pretty loud, im not sure what type of switch it has, judging from what ive read, it feels like a blue switch). The noise alone was enough to keep my interest off of such keyboards, so i didnt bother looking into getting one for myself.

Im glad to know there are different kinds. But still, the mechanical keyboard selection right now is somewhat limited, and most dont seem to offer alot outside of its basic mechanical operation.

I might consider the blackwidow sometime later, but the main reason i got the G110 with its dedicated audio is so i could have the separate mute controls right on the keyboard, as i use VOX with my vent/ts while gaming. (i dont like having to hold down a key to talk while im trying to do other things). If i get a foot switch to control the mic, this may become less important.

Ive been looking into soundcards alot, and in my old computer i was doing what you suggested. I had an Audigy as my primary sound, and used the onboard for voice. But again, this had the issue of me either using a key to talk or trying to adjust my vox settings to not go off whenever i breathed and had to be careful what i said lol. Its just easier for me having a mic mute right on the keyboard :)

And yea, alot of this is a case of "dont know what you missing till you've tried it". Maybe im not giving mechanical keyboards enough credit because i haven't used them (the new ones i should say lol.). I just dont like loud keyboards and as ive said, thats what comes to mind when i hear "mechanical keyboard".

Sadly, this is true for audio for many people as well. I was pretty anal about my sound on my PC. Tho dedicated Audio cards seem to be losing some of their benefits to on board systems lately. Which kinda makes me sad in a way. (especially since dx and such are overruling processing :| ). So im going to be using the mobo's sound out of the gate till i find a card i like, or determine how far onboard's have come. (tho i am going to hook up my receiver unit and home audio speakers for output on this computer (digital of course) and let the receiver to the decoding. (but, i digress lol)

So im going to stay away from mechanical keyboards for the moment, till im ready to upgrade again. Hopefully by then, there will be more options available. Tho from what reading i have done on them, i think i would prefer Cherry Red switching over the others. But thats just my personal taste given on how they are described. Id likely have to test them all out myself to see which one id really prefer.. Something ill do far later. (where i got my info btw http://elitekeyboards.com/support.php?lang=en#1a)

Last edited:
I dont doubt that i would upgrade again at some later date. I just purchased all of the stuff in my sig, and im keeping the g110 as the keyboard for it. A co-worker of mine has a Daskeyboard for his work computer (which is pretty loud, im not sure what type of switch it has, judging from what ive read, it feels like a blue switch). The noise alone was enough to keep my interest off of such keyboards, so i didnt bother looking into getting one for myself.

Browns are fairly and my default recommendation for all. If you change your mind, the razer stealth is a good buy. Also, nowadays multiple parts of a sound card can be used at once. You can set Skype/vent/whatever to run on your mic/audio ports, while using spdif output for your speakers. Since you don't have an X-Fi you have nothing to lose by doing this (although digital output to anything more than stereo doesn't work right on an X-Fi; pm me if you want more info on that).
Im glad to know there are different kinds. But still, the mechanical keyboard selection right now is somewhat limited, and most dont seem to offer alot outside of its basic mechanical operation.
It has seen a recent boom. It's only going to get bigger. Waiting isn't a terrible idea, I just don't want to see you shutting down the idea when you're on a forum LIKE THIS of your own volition. If you decide to get the keyboard I suggested or something like it, please let me know, I'd like to know what you think!
I might consider the blackwidow sometime later, but the main reason i got the G110 with its dedicated audio is so i could have the separate mute controls right on the keyboard, as i use VOX with my vent/ts while gaming. (i dont like having to hold down a key to talk while im trying to do other things). If i get a foot switch to control the mic, this may become less important.
Frag pedals are a great option!
Ive been looking into soundcards alot, and in my old computer i was doing what you suggested. I had an Audigy as my primary sound, and used the onboard for voice. But again, this had the issue of me either using a key to talk or trying to adjust my vox settings to not go off whenever i breathed and had to be careful what i said lol. Its just easier for me having a mic mute right on the keyboard :)
Understandable. Your usage varies from mine... so I can't really comment. :)
And yea, alot of this is a case of "dont know what you missing till you've tried it". Maybe im not giving mechanical keyboards enough credit because i haven't used them (the new ones i should say lol.). I just dont like loud keyboards and as ive said, thats what comes to mind when i hear "mechanical keyboard".

Reds, blacks, and browns are all fairly quiet. Only the blues are loud and it's by design. There's an extra mechanism for the noise making. It's designed to make extra noise, that is to say. I'm surprised there isn't a perfect copy of blues without the noise.

Sadly, this is true for audio for many people as well. I was pretty anal about my sound on my PC. Tho dedicated Audio cards seem to be losing some of their benefits to on board systems lately. Which kinda makes me sad in a way. (especially since dx and such are overruling processing :| ). So im going to be using the mobo's sound out of the gate till i find a card i like, or determine how far onboard's have come. (tho i am going to hook up my receiver unit and home audio speakers for output on this computer (digital of course) and let the receiver to the decoding. (but, i digress lol)
Sound cards still have a lot of function in audiophile arenas. They make great transport upgrades, for me an x-fi titanium is a better speaker output for my klipsch 2.1's, and the way I have it setup, it operates amazingly well with foobar, wasapi, etc. In short, every part of my usage case is improved by my having an X-Fi, although I have an X-Fi forte as well, I can't seem to get coaxial output to work. I know the analog output is vastly superior for my speakers, and coax is superior to optical, but the card won't work. :(
So im going to stay away from mechanical keyboards for the moment, till im ready to upgrade again. Hopefully by then, there will be more options available. Tho from what reading i have done on them, i think i would prefer Cherry Red switching over the others. But thats just my personal taste given on how they are described. Id likely have to test them all out myself to see which one id really prefer.. Something ill do far later. (where i got my info btw http://elitekeyboards.com/support.php?lang=en#1a)
Cherry reds look phenomenal on paper. Though I don't really care for them for typing or command based gaming (RTS, MMO, etc). The force requirements of the keys is so light that you either completely miss a keystroke due to no feedback, or you hit the wrong key and actuate that one instead. It's weird, and hard even for me to get used to. It's largely considered a gaming only keyboard, with typing a vastly under considered after thought.

people could you stop fighting.
now i am afraid to put my opinion or somebody will butcher it without even thinking that everyone has different opinions and they can put it in front of everybody without being stumped,stomped or stepped on...

i liked all the info on the thread about mechanical KB but i still like my G110 because of all its features. and i dont care about the price..

people could you stop fighting.
now i am afraid to put my opinion or somebody will butcher it without even thinking that everyone has different opinions and they can put it in front of everybody without being stumped,stomped or stepped on...

i liked all the info on the thread about mechanical KB but i still like my G110 because of all its features. and i dont care about the price..

Nobody's fighting? The only reason a " fight " started was because Lyian called into question the quality of my reccomendations, which I validated. Unfortunately it evolved into an argument which has since dissipated. So I'm confused... who's fighting?

Also, nobody is going to make fun of you for using a G110. Me and Lyian were simply arguing about it's status in the keyboard landscape, and it seems we settled on midrange (although I'd call 300-400$ topre based boards high end and standard cherry mx based boards midrange, but not everybody is aware of topre but they're typically consider the PINNACLE of keyboarding).

(that said, the g110 in lyian's case is a good selection, although I'd still be sore at it's failings as a keyboard (no nkro specifically), though it does have all the buttons he wants in the right place, at the right size, with the addition of a sound card, so it's not all bad)

The REASON for the argument proceeding is mainly our definition of gaming keyboards differing: My definition is based on my expectations of a gaming mouse (all the buttons must work, and I should never be restricted by the device's potential): In my mind a keyboard is not something that is of "gaming grade" (which is the highest level of demand one can play on input devices), unless it has 6KRO (+4 modifiers) on USB or NKRO over PS/2. Mechanical keyswitches improve the situation further, but the problem here is, MOST membranes (probably close to 90% of them) don't offer 6KRO. Most Mechanicals however (at least half of them) have 6KRO or NKRO, so the two things very quickly become SYNONYMOUS. Mechanical keys are better, and 6KRO is a must in my book, thus a gaming keyboard is usually a high end mechanical. Although a really really nice scissor switch could pass for a gaming board if it had 6KRO. Again, gaming peripherals don't make you a better gamer, they allow you to be the best gamer you can be.

His seems to be any keyboard that enriches his gaming experience. In my case I play a lot of esports titles, where every second counts. In fact it's all I play. I'm bad enough as it is, that I don't want devices holding me back. :)

Last edited:
i actually really like the reds for typing. I like how light they are to actuate. I have tried blacks and browns but i keep going back to red. I do have some typos though because my finger grazes another key but all in all i really enjoy the typing experience on the red switches

i actually really like the reds for typing. I like how light they are to actuate. I have tried blacks and browns but i keep going back to red. I do have some typos though because my finger grazes another key but all in all i really enjoy the typing experience on the red switches

I'm having trouble learning to type on them. :(

Ok guys, I can see there has been some differences in this thread. Please lets try and keep it on topic. We had a great start and I'm sure there are more then a few of us here on OC who would like more information on keys and would like to hear peoples experiences with different types. With that being said lets get back to buisness.

Ok guys, I can see there has been some differences in this thread. Please lets try and keep it on topic. We had a great start and I'm sure there are more then a few of us here on OC who would like more information on keys and would like to hear peoples experiences with different types. With that being said lets get back to buisness.

lol.. your a bit behind, but good attempt ;)

I only check once every couple days lol.

Also on the g110 being $100+ sorry about that, it's $99 on logitechs website :p

its is? o_O

Im seeing its listed as $80 on their site. They also have a g510, which they list as $119 (tho i think newegg has it for about $100) that adds an lcd screen & extra row of macro keys, but removes the usb port

I only check once every couple days lol.

Also on the g110 being $100+ sorry about that, it's $99 on logitechs website :p
Its now 70 on newegg, but was lower during the holiday madness. I came very close to picking one up, but decided to get a razor onza 360 controler for my PC. Its price now is a bit to much, it should be around 50. I will keep using my trusty g11.

suffice to say the board could be as low as $50 and I would rather try mechanical now. if i dont end up liking the mechanical keys I will be trying out the g110 since it seems to get lots of love for a mem board.

Back