• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good gaming Keyboard? (2012 edition)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There is no way on God's green earth I will ever need to use 6KRO.

This keyboard fails on 3 keys.

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=NKey+Rollover+-+Overview+Testing+Methodology+and+Results

It's 2KRO, which means in some cases you can't hit a third key. This means it's garbage and not worth it's cost. Plus they're nothing special. For 80$, you can buy a cooler master keyboard with teh same switch type that has 6KRO.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=33175

So need it or not, it's at least worth considering as a factor in buying, especially when you can get some for only a few bucks more that flat out best what you're looking at now in every way.

The only difference is, it doesn't have macro keys, and razer macro keys are pretty bunk anyway. BTW, the blackwidow does NOT have synapse, and as such stores the profiles locally. The function keys flat out do not function without the software installed and do not transfer from computer to computer.

I love my G510. I had the first Gen G15 and was really sad when that keyboard was showing its age and the only replacement was the second gen with less G keys. Gladly they released the G510 with the programmable keys back. I love the feel of it and the easy way to make custom profiles on the fly. Helped alot when i was playing TFC matches and I could make an easy few binds on the fly to let my D or O know where the other team was comming from. Nothing beats hitting one key and letting them know 2 o are comming water side instead of having to type that out and waste time. I still use em to this day when I hop in a pug server. Its also a heaven sent for playing AoC as I have way to many keybinds to use during game play and I would be all over the keyboard trying to press keys instead everything is right at my pinkie reach for me.

Got my Das in and it is one sweet and beautiful kb. The typing difference is pretty significant. Its definitely going to have to be my work kb though. I am to use to my MS Ergo 4000 on my home machine. If MS made a mechanical version I would be in heaven. For long 8-12 hour mmo sessions its hard to beat it. The high center arch, the big soft palm rests, and the natural wrist angle help quite a bit. I know some people just can't get to used to them but I have no issues even switching back and forth daily between a normal and ergo.

Might pick up the Corsair K90 and give it a try since it at least does have a large palm rest but its not padded.

This is what I use;

Razer Nastromo, Razer Deathadder, & IBM SK-8811

2012-01-20_01-20-36_490.jpg

I almost like the keyboard more than the Nostromo, but the Nostromo you can use Macro's, profiles, and all kinds of crazy key-remaps with. So if you are not sure about that G510 grab either the Belkin or Razer version of that Nostromo, or just a cheap IBM keyboard like mine.

Was out picking up a 7970 at Frys, just to get a little more performance above my gtx 580 playing TOR, yes I am sick. I spot the K90, and at the normal retail price unlike the jacked up price at MC so Frys really got a chunk of my money.

So far fairly regretting the K90. I don't know why but the main keyboard feels really cramped. The caps lock especially gets lots of accidental hits. The wrist rest sits way to close to the keyboard which may be the main problem. To get your wrists on it comfortably it puts your fingers way to high up on the keys.

The other is the software is still pretty buggy also with the macro recording and game support. I'm not to worried about that aspect but would like to be able to map the G keys.

Getting a little more used to typing on it. Definitely very different typing feel from the Das. Click noise is a little more like a traditional kb but slightly louder. Feels decent but definitely prefer the feedback response from clicks on the Das.

Last edited:
TOR, as in, The Old Republic? What do you mean, a little more performance? If you don't like your keyboard or 580, I'll take em!

The 580 is gonna replace my 5870. The 7970 actually smooths things out noticeably in The Old Replublic on fleet in heavy player density.

If you want the KB I'll gladly sell it to you for full price heh. Going to give it a little time to see if it grows on me.

Good Gaming Keyboard

I have been trying for months to find a good gaming Keyboard. I play a lot of World of Warcraft and some other games and I want something that has good quality and several Gaming keys. I also would like something that matches with the rest of my system. If anyone has any suggestions or good deal please let me know. Thanks.

IMNSHO, the best gaming keyboard is the best keyboard. That is, a nice mechanical keyboard that'll last forever :)

IMNSHO, the best gaming keyboard is the best keyboard. That is, a nice mechanical keyboard that'll last forever :)

Believe it or not I have never had a mechanical keyboard. I am 22; My first computer (that I owned) was a laptop. I have gotten very used to using a small flat laptop keyboard that I cannot type very well on a mechanical one. The keys are too high and too far apart. (etc). I am not against getting a mechanical kbd for gaming.
What I am looking for is good quality some G-keys etc.
Thanks

filco ninja modded to ergo clear.
dscn2230u.jpg

filco blue tooth numpad modded with ghetto reds
dscn2226vz.jpg

topre variable 103
dscn2260b.jpg

cherry mx switch tester
dscn2220u.jpg

Last edited:
Fcomstoc, if you want a good cheap gaming board, I reccomend this cooler master:

At 80$ it's the cheapest keyboard with the following two important features: 6KRO, and mechanical key switches. You won't find those things things any cheaper and are in my opinion the two most important things, high quality reliable switches and knowing you can hit as many keys as you want without issue: ANYWHERE ON THE KEYBOARD.

(Over PS2 it's NKRO)

If you want to spend more you can always let me know what you're looking for and I can help you pick a GREAT board. it's such a huge market.

That looks like a great kbd but I was hoping for some gaming keys and I have to have a number pad (I used to be a bank manager so I am used to it). Price is not really an issue I can spend as little or as much as I want. I am mostly curious what is used by most hardcore gamers. I am relatively new to the PC gaming market (this computer is the first one I have owned that is fast enough for this sort of gaming) and so I am still familiarizing myself with the market and what is the most used and elite. I feel about this the same way as about my headphone I bought recently "I don't care about the name I just want the best and most reliable".

That looks like a great kbd but I was hoping for some gaming keys and I have to have a number pad (I used to be a bank manager so I am used to it). Price is not really an issue I can spend as little or as much as I want. I am mostly curious what is used by most hardcore gamers. I am relatively new to the PC gaming market (this computer is the first one I have owned that is fast enough for this sort of gaming) and so I am still familiarizing myself with the market and what is the most used and elite. I feel about this the same way as about my headphone I bought recently "I don't care about the name I just want the best and most reliable".

What kind of headphones? I'm a head-fi member and squarely planted in mid-fi. :D

As for keyboard, go get you a rosewill then. It's 100$, but it's filco on the inside. For gaming exclusively, get the one with browns! :D

This one: http://www.rosewill.com/products/1809/ProductDetail_Overview.htm
Ok I will check it out thanks for the advice. I was just reading about the different key types, I was not aware of the differences previously.

I ended up with Sennheiser good quality (better than the major brands as far as I can tell) I am not sure of the model number but they were around $210 when I got them 6 months ago.

Last edited:
Back