• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good gaming Keyboard? (2012 edition)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I ordered a SteelSeries 6Gv2 yesterday from Amazon. First time trying a mechanical keyboard so we'll see how it goes.

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-6Gv2-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B0038X3ZVM/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_3

Ok, so I got the keyboard on Friday and it feels really nice. Very fluid, and the keys aren't loud. The only thing that is a little awkward is that the right shift key is a little smaller and the "\" key is right next to it, so sometimes when I am trying to hit shift, I end up pressing the "\".

I figure that I'll get used to it after a it.

Regardless of the hybrid design (half Mechanical half Rubber Dome), I am really liking my Corsair K90. The backlighting is great, the fit/finish is solid, and the mechanical Cherry MX switches are great. Even my wife who doesn't know the first thing about keyboards commented on how nice the keyboard was when she first used it.

The downside is it is a bit expensive.

Just ordered a Das Ultimate, mx-blues that will probably end up as my work machine kb which I game on half the day also so will need another for the home gamer. The K90 was my original choice but still not sure if having the hybrid mix will bother me to much.

Not to my knowledge. Mechanical is many times more expensive than non mechanical, and mechanical these days is a buzzword, so you want to advertise that part of a device, etc.

http://cyborggaming.com/prod/v5keyboard.htm

no mention of mechanical, which means almost entirely that it's membrane. There's that .01% chance it's mechanical, but at the price and failure to mention it suggests it is not. Prior versions were not.

that ebay posting is wrong. That is not a mechanical keyboard. From reading on newegg it seems the quality control of the keyboard can be questionable, so i probably wouldnt buy it from a person since im not sure if the warranty is transferable, plus its actually cheaper on newegg.

I guess I will be getting the x4, x6, or arctosa then. I can't bring myself to spend more than $50 on a keyboard.

Do the mechanical switch keyboards have more of an impact on usb performance? I see some come with adjustable polling rates, has anyone ever tested that? (In general not just with keyboards).

well from what i understand the usb device gets checked for inputs at the polling rate/second. Mechanical keyboards that use usb will also do this so there is no difference between membrane keyboards and mechanical. Now if you start using the PS/2 interface this will save some cpu cycles. The PS/2 interface sends interrupts to the operating system every time the a key is pressed. So if you are not typing anything on your keyboard no cpu cycles will be wasted checking the input device. At least this is my understanding. So based on my understanding the lower the polling rate the less taxing the device is on the computer, but there might be a small lag between your inputs before the system recognizes that you actually pressed a key, or say moved a mouse

Yes I understand that, but thank you for the explanation none the less :)

I was wondering if anyone had actually tested it out, to see the impact it has on system performance.

I know most gaming/overclocking motherboards still come with PS/2 ports for that reason. Ah well if I go mechanical I will just hook it up to PS/2 anyway so I suppose I do not really care lol

i cant imagine there is much of an impact on system performance. With ghz were talking billions of cycles a second, so what is a thousand really. The biggest impact is that the OS must schedule the inputs first since, which could cause a slight delay in other operations of the computer, but not much at all, probably a nanosecond or two

Do the mechanical switch keyboards have more of an impact on usb performance? I see some come with adjustable polling rates, has anyone ever tested that? (In general not just with keyboards).

Yes, and no, and here's why:

With USB, only the polling rate determines what impact the keyboard will have on performance. At 1000hz, it's at it's highest, and 250hz, the lowest. Responsiveness also increases with the polling rate, again 1000hz the highest, and 250hz the lowest.

However, most mechanical keyboards offer a PS2 option, on which the keyboard performs with full N-Key (all the keys can be pressed at once and all will register) rollover, and PS2 doesn't get polled, it sends an interrupt. There is little to no CPU impact in this use case. For gaming, and for maximum system performance, PS2 does outperform USB.

So with the assumption that the question is rigged, I've answered it as fully as I can. I hope this helps.

Yes, and no, and here's why:

With USB, only the polling rate determines what impact the keyboard will have on performance. At 1000hz, it's at it's highest, and 250hz, the lowest. Responsiveness also increases with the polling rate, again 1000hz the highest, and 250hz the lowest.

However, most mechanical keyboards offer a PS2 option, on which the keyboard performs with full N-Key (all the keys can be pressed at once and all will register) rollover, and PS2 doesn't get polled, it sends an interrupt. There is little to no CPU impact in this use case. For gaming, and for maximum system performance, PS2 does outperform USB.

So with the assumption that the question is rigged, I've answered it as fully as I can. I hope this helps.

What sucks about that, is mobo manufactures are slowly removing the PS/2 ports on their boards. The one i got doesn't have any at all.

I love my G15 I thinks its one of the best out

Excellent. If you would like a keyboard education, please see prior posts in this thread from Aynjell.

I own one, it is excellent at being flashy, but I can't stand to type on it. Feels like a $5 HP keyboard from work. Works about the same for gaming.

What sucks about that, is mobo manufactures are slowly removing the PS/2 ports on their boards. The one i got doesn't have any at all.

they were removed a while back. (socket A was the first board I remember that came with NO legacy ports at all).

However PS/2 has once again been included on almost every board I have seen lately. Usually just one, but sometimes 2.

Feels like a $5 HP keyboard from work. Works about the same for gaming.

hmm maybe I shouldnt go wit ha mechanical. I bought a pack of 5 HP KB and mouses for $40 on ebay and LOVE the Keyboards. Replaced my G15, my MS entertainment 7000 and my emachines PS/2 keyboards :)

Excellent. If you would like a keyboard education, please see prior posts in this thread from Aynjell.

I own one, it is excellent at being flashy, but I can't stand to type on it. Feels like a $5 HP keyboard from work. Works about the same for gaming.

Nothing wrong with liking what you like! But I always encourage an excursion into higher quality keyboards. The difference is onpar with high end mice compared to what you get with your oem PC's.

hmm maybe I shouldnt go wit ha mechanical. I bought a pack of 5 HP KB and mouses for $40 on ebay and LOVE the Keyboards. Replaced my G15, my MS entertainment 7000 and my emachines PS/2 keyboards :)

What kind? It may be that they're a mechanical and you don't know it. Wouldn't surprise me if they're a fake alps.

Nope, nothing wrong besides I know that there is better out there.

I spent all my keyboard money on one for work, since I spend way too much time typing there. I went to MX blues. People hate me, but marvel at my typing speed sometimes.

I'll never look back. I'm excited the g15 is starting to show some age to it, nearly time for replacement. A few windows installs ago, I stopped installing the logitech software for it. I don't miss the display one bit.

they were removed a while back. (socket A was the first board I remember that came with NO legacy ports at all).

However PS/2 has once again been included on almost every board I have seen lately. Usually just one, but sometimes 2.

Not my mobo, and it was just released a few months ago.. Oh well.

Just looked. I guess if i spent 50-60 bucks more for the Deluxe version, it comes with a ps/2 combo port.. *shrug*

Back