• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's going on with my FX 6300?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoshSucksAtCPUs

I'm trying to overclock my FX 6300 to 4.2ghz, but Im having a weird issue. For some reason, my clock keeps dropping by 100mhz. Even though there is a fluctuation in the clock speeds, I'm passing prime95 tests no problem. Usually, when there's a problem it spits me out an error within 10-15 minutes. But, I can do tests for 4 hours+ and pass no problem with this fluctuation.

I have all power saving stuff in the bios disabled. I have HPC enabled. Windows power option is set to high-performance. Minimum processor state set to 100%.

I don't believe it's thermal throttling. Socket hits 64c during extended prime95 tests and package hits 54c. From what I've read, there's still room before throttling starts happening?

Im following a Pile driver guide I found on another forum. When it came to voltage it suggested "Back in the BIOS, scroll to CPU Manual Voltage and Manually Set it to whatever value it shows for your CPU". The baseline voltage for my CPU was 1.188 in the bios. IIRC, I was able to pass prime95 tests with 1.19 until I went to 4.1ghz. That's when I started to have to increase voltage. Right now, I'm somewhere around 1.28 in the bios but even though I keep stepping up the voltage the problem is not alleviated.

Anyone got some advice on this? What exactly is going on? Is it just a weak core that's like: "Nah bro it aint happening" or what?

Specs:
Windows 10
FX 6300
M5A99FX Pro R2.0
GTX 770
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 @ stock XMP profile
Antec 650W Gold-rated.

Also, I'd post screenshots of HWMonitor and CPU-Z, but Im not sure if Im allowed to do that as a new member of this forum?

set your min processor state back to 5 percent.

what are you reading your temp with? amd overdrive? hardware monitor?

you can post screenshots, click go advanced, find the paperclip above the dialog box.

set your min processor state back to 5 percent.

what are you reading your temp with? amd overdrive? hardware monitor?

you can post screenshots, click go advanced, find the paperclip above the dialog box.

Mostly read temps with HWMonitor, but I do keep an eye on the thermal margin in AMD overdrive sometimes.

good.
and welcome to the forums!!! we have a good crew here on the amd side.

congrats on a well matched system (cpu and motherboard) I wish more people would choose the same combo.

hop into bios and set the cpu bus freq from auto to 200 and I think that will cure your ills.

post us up the cpu-z tabs, cpu, memory, spd.
hardware monitor, shoot it under load please.

post us up the cpu-z tabs, cpu, memory, spd.
hardware monitor, shoot it under load please.

Let me start off by saying, i appreciate you putting in the effort to help me. This has been driving me bonkers haha.

CPU Tab:
b4f4d7d4f1684b75896e0c2461e052d9.png

Memory Tab:
4bb1e74a7b664b5b8999e6bfb9a3a23d.png

Spd Tab:
Slot #2
e120e929402546949bd82f140674f0ad.png

Slot #4
9d0abd7608c94e5c8f024874ed9b0005.png

Prime95 + HWMonitor:

It doesn't drop too much in this picture, but it drops like 100, sometimes more when Im browsing the web or playing BF1.

16057c165020452a904a83af19ea4e51.png

with cpu-z you can open all the copys you want all at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

it's 4187/4214, that's just the software figuring, ignore it.........

with cpu-z you can open all the copys you want all at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

it's 4187/4214, that's just the software figuring, ignore it.........

Sorry, didn't know that. Also, this is with the same prime95 test still going. Even higher drop.

9585ffb24492487094c51a9ec09fc25f.png

Please crop your images to exclude the surrounding desktop area. Snipping tool in Windows Accessories is great for this.

1.296 is pretty low vcore but your temps won't stand much more juice. You say when you add voltage in bios it does not change? Do you have the latest bios version for that motherboard?

What are you cooling the CPU with?

Those CPUs will usually do something around 4.5 ghz on around 1.45vcore if I recall with a reasonably good motherboard like that.

you say when you add voltage in bios it does not change? Do you have the latest bios version for that motherboard?

What are you cooling the CPU with?

Those CPUs will usually do something around 4.5 ghz on around 1.45vcore if I recall with a reasonably good motherboard like that.

I can add more juice to the vcore, but it doesn't resolve the issue. I have the latest version of the bios. Im using the evo 212 for cooling. People seem to get way better temps than me with it. Ive tried reseating, reappling paste multiple times and generally I get around these temps when I start to meme around in the bios.

I wonder if the board might be the culprit here.
see if you can get some more airflow over the vrm heatsinks, the heatsinks between the socket and the rear I/o panel.

I wonder if the board might be the culprit here.
see if you can get some more airflow over the vrm heatsinks, the heatsinks between the socket and the rear I/o panel.

I have the 200r corsair case. Would flipping the top fan near the back to an intake be enough to give the vrm a little breeze? Cause right now I dont have an double-sided tape so I can't ghetto in a direct VRM fan.

You probably didn't win the silicon lottery with that CPU.

Why you gotta break my heart :( But yeah, been thinking that.

You have a cooling issue. You should be much cooler than that at that vcore with that HS.
Need some pics of your setup. It has to be something stupid obvious.

You have a cooling issue. You should be much cooler than that at that vcore with that HS.
Need some pics of your setup. It has to be something stupid obvious.

Will these suffice?

Also, let me apologize for the abuse your tech heart and eyes are about to go through. Heatsink was cleaned not too long ago, but I haven't dusted my other parts in a minute. And I know my cable strats are horrible. I apologize.

20161105_191113.jpg

20161105_191504.jpg

20161105_191434.jpg

20161105_191444.jpg

Looks like my noob self put on a little too much thermal paste last time. Swore I just put a pea-sized amount. Still though, my temps have generally been pretty high. Like to the point I get jelly of people who talk about their temps with the 212.

let's try a cooler remount.

Alright, tomorrow Im going to make a run to the shop. Buy some compressed air, give the whole thing a sweep, and then remount. When you say remount though. Am i just taking off the heatsink, cleaning up the paste, re-repasting, and putting it back on or am I flipping it's position as well. Like, turnin' 180 degrees?

Back