• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats that harmful toxic irritant poision chemical used in cpu's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK so i remember stuff wrong (hey, it was a long time ago!).

Lecturer probably just exaggerated a few facts to encourage proper disposal of electronic waste, and to stop us from randomly binning stuff.

Although there are a few nasties inside - arsenic, lead, cadmium, beryllium, and hexavalent chromium.

So lets not eat any chips. (electronic chips that is!)

hmmm, I always wear a filter mask and latex gloves when I handle CPU's. Not cause of the dangers, i just dont want my breath or spit or fingerprints ending up on CPU.

yazz88 said:
hmmm, I always wear a filter mask and latex gloves when I handle CPU's. Not cause of the dangers, i just dont want my breath or spit or fingerprints ending up on CPU.

Then you probably don't want to know that when i want to clean the hardened AS5 off my CPU, i scrub them over my carpet. No gloves, care or tenderness involved :sn:

Sjaak said:
If it's the classic arsenic, okay, then it's pretty deadly. But if it's in a bond with the gallim atom it may not be so deadly at all. It has to be different in order to just be able to bind with gallium.

Uh what is classic arsenic? Any ingestion of any arsenic compound is harmful.

RESEARCH REPORTS
Report #1 (Webb et al. 1984)
Webb et al. (1984) reported the partial dissolution of gallium arsenide when tested in phosphate buffers of various ionic strengths (i.e., fluids that are chemically similar to body fluids). In the second phase of this study, a single dose of gallium arsenide partially dissociated when administered either intratracheally or orally to rats, releasing arsenic that was subsequently distributed, depending on the route of administration, to the lungs, blood, urine, and/or feces. Gallium was found only in the lungs and feces, suggesting that some of the dissociated gallium was retained in the lung and that a portion was cleared by the mucociliary clearance mechanism and may have been subsequently swallowed. Qualitative as well as quantitative alterations in urinary porphyrins were reported following the intratracheal administration of gallium arsenide to rats. Webb noted that similar alterations in urinary porphyrins were found by other investigators when inorganic arsenic was administered to rats (Martinez et al. 1983, Woods and Fowler 1978).

Report #2 (Webb et al. 1986)
Webb et al. (1986) administered a single intratracheal dose of gallium arsenide particulates to rats to confirm the dissolution of gallium arsenide and the systemic distribution of arsenic reported by Webb et al. in 1984. Gallium trioxide and arsenic trioxide were also administered intratracheally to rats for comparison with gallium arsenide, since the former compounds are believed to be formed following dissolution of gallium arsenide. Gallium trioxide was observed to have little biologic activity, whereas arsenic trioxide produced some of the same qualitative effects as those noted when gallium arsenide was tested. These results suggest that the most toxic component of gallium arsenide was the arsenic that dissociated from the gallium arsenide after the latter entered the rat's body.

Report #3 (Yamauchi et al. 1986)
Yamauchi et al. (1986) found gallium arsenide to be soluble in phosphate buffers of various ionic strengths as did Webb et al. (1984, 1986). Yamauchi et al. also demonstrated that following oral or intraperitoneal administration of gallium arsenide to hamsters, organic products of arsenic metabolism (dimethylarsinic acid and methylarsonic acid) were found along with inorganic arsenic in the urine and various tissues. These results again demonstrate the dissociation of gallium arsenide and the systemic distribution of inorganic arsenic.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/88-100.html

ol' man said:
Uh what is classic arsenic? Any ingestion of any arsenic compound is harmful.

There is aresenic and there is another form of arsenic, one that can bind with metals (else gallium arsenic couldn't exist). They have to be different, because if it can bind with gallium it cannot exist alone (a matter of open spaces in the electron field), and vice versa.

fAlCoNNiAn said:
wow, im gettin all confused in this chemistry class of a forum we have here.

:bang head :bang head

im a IT major, not a chem one :shrug: , this is all mumbojumbo for me. :eh?:

Hey it's a long time ago for me, too :p Plus the translation to english makes for good mistakes on my side lol :rolleyes:

I never heard of anything harmful in cpus but if its true, many people will die when they smash or open their cpu :(

Overclocker550 said:
I never heard of anything harmful in cpus but if its true, many people will die when they smash or open their cpu :(

...something which i alone have done numerous times in the past, and i may be a little wierd, but they still use to call me 'alive'

Imagine that, wouldnt that be more toxic the nuclar matter? i mean is intel and amd dealing in processors of mass destuction? :p

Sjaak said:
Then you probably don't want to know that when i want to clean the hardened AS5 off my CPU, i scrub them over my carpet. No gloves, care or tenderness involved :sn:

...........your carpet must look like a zebra. :D

If i had an extra core laying around here from a dead chip or something, i'd tear the die from the chip itself, make sure the edges are smooth, and i'd swallow it.

I'm serious too, i'd want to know if a CPU die could really make you die! Would give us a whole new reason to call it a " die " now wouldn't it?

i honestly don't think its that deadly. i'd fill my mouth with some pepsi,pop the die into my mout and swallow. and wait a day or two and see what happens. Then we could put this discussion to rest.

sadly, i don't have an extra Dead CPU laying around here.

and even if it would hurt me, i don't recall there being a warning label telling you not to eat the processor, or any part of it. so technically, if i got hurt...i could sue and make lots and lots of money!

zexmarquies01 said:
and even if it would hurt me, i don't recall there being a warning label telling you not to eat the processor, or any part of it. so technically, if i got hurt...i could sue and make lots and lots of money!

The fact that you know it could potentially harm you is probably good enough that they wouldn't have to pay you anything.

Sentential said:
LMAO... sounds like a scare tactic to keep you from destroying a $500 CPU. Such a chemical coumpound does not exist.

I beg to differ. Fluffy, my pet dog was killed by the pink powder when he took a wiff of a busted p4

LMAO!! Just kidding :D :D

Back