• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the best antifreeze/coolant?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just keep in mind when we use anything like this it's not for maximum cooling, it's for corrosion protection. I've never heard of anything less than 5% recommended for anti-freeze and I can't imagine HyperLube being any better at corrosion protection that anti-freeze. Still, 5% is only 3 oz for 1/2 gallon of water ...

I'm redoing my loop and had some gunk I've never had before in my loop this time, all the hoses are cloudy or filmed over like.... I think I was running straight distilled as I put it together in the Holidays and cant remember adding anything else into it. I had some algae stuff before but cant remember if I was out of it or used the last when I build that loop.

Just glad I decided to redo it and found it before something was ruined.

Just keep in mind when we use anything like this it's not for maximum cooling, it's for corrosion protection. I've never heard of anything less than 5% recommended for anti-freeze and I can't imagine HyperLube being any better at corrosion protection that anti-freeze. Still, 5% is only 3 oz for 1/2 gallon of water ...

"Glycol based systems, using Propylene Glycol or Ethylene Glycol, without any corrosion inhibitors or additives, are more corrosive and aggressive than water alone."
http://www.glycol.ca/inhibitors/inhi...nhibitors.html

It is the 5-10 corrosion inhibitors (zinc oxide, nitrites, chromates, hexamines, etc) that are in all commercial antifreezes that prevent corrosion, and they are typically added in very small quantities, many in ppm.

Cars require antifreeze in concentration of 15-50%, so corrosion inhibitors are added in an amount to be effective at that concentration, so using antifreeze to get the necessary minute amounts of corrosion inhibitors is a very inefficient way of getting them, just that antifreeze is readily available.

Hyperlube is used in concentration of 4%, so corrosion inhibitors are added at higher concentration to be effective in that dilution. hyperlube corrosion and temp testing http://www.hyperlube.com/docs/Temperature Reduction Test.pdf

If all you want is corrosion inhibition, both antifreeze and hyperlube are inefficent, just hyperlube less so only need 4% vs 15+% antifreeze. What you really want is the minute amounts of chemicals and be left with 99+% distilled with just 5-10 corrosion inhibitors in their typical minute concentration...but good luck in finding them, I tried for 2 years while using black pearl 8800 gtx (aluminum block), but gave up.

Back