• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the best heatsink and fan for

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[-Lost-]

Registered
Hi all

I got a xp 3000 barton
@Present iam using one othe these:
Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2L CPU Cooler
Link Here

It seemed to be ok for a few days,BUT now it dont seem to be doing aswell:(

what heatsink and fan would you say is best for me chip.
dont wanna have to much Db from it:)

Thanx for any help

Extra info
i got 2 x 120mm fans in side panel blowing in. 1 x 92 mm in front panel blowing in.
1 x 92 in back pulling out 1 x 92 in top pulling out.

The ALX800 looks like a good cooler for you. I'd throw on either A) A duct to bring the air right to the processor from the 120MM Fan(Or out, if you want to swap it around)

I'd also suggest some Arctic Silver(5 or Ceramique) thermal gel. Apply it like so

Put some junky gel on the processors core first

Spread it out(pretty thickly)so its JUST TOUCING THE CORE.

Put the HS(heatsink) on.

Screw/clip it in place.

Now, take the HS back off.

Put some clear scotch tape on the HS around where the paste came off onto the HS. Wipe off the paste from both the HS and the processor

Put some Artic Silver on the heat sink, after thouroughly cleaning off the bad stuff. now take either A) A plastic card or B) one of your PCI cover things and place it on the scotch tape so that in between the two strips of tape you have your gel.

Scrape from one side to the other in one steady scraping motion, keeping the PCI Slot cover level and pressed firmly against the scotch tape.

Take off the scotch tape

Place heatsink on the CPU.

Congratulations! your done! This is to ensure that A) your thermall gel is not too thick. And B) Your thermal gel is not to thin, which encourages maximum heat dissapation.

This will increase the performance of your current HS, or your new HS. I recommed doing it once just to see if thats the cause of your problems.

(Use MBM5 to monitor your CPU temperatures before and after @ load(I.E. Running Prime95)

thanx alot for all the info fella:)
will grab me CC and order me parts.

Back