• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the Conroe Bang-For-Buck deal these days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RangerXLT8 said:
Don't wait for the 590, the DFI flavor is doing like 300FSB lol.

You can run SLI on any MB with dual PCI-E slots, with hacked drivers of course. It's being done right now, and works perfectly.

E6400 is definitely bang for buck, overclocks to 3+GHz no problem, only thing it lacks is the 4MB cahce, which makes 0-10% difference, closer to the 0.

Well if you're getting a 2MB cache Core 2 Duo get the E6300 and save some money, it should clock just as well. The cache in reality makes very little overall difference, say 1-5% on average. If it were 256KB vs 2MB then there would be a big difference, but I wouldn't get upset if you didn't get the 4MB version. Apart from the Conroe supremacists here that say you can't join the Conroe club because the 2MB Duos are Allendale cores. :beer:

Well, if you want to split hairs, i can drive my monitor with my 6800gt...even Fear, but I have to play at a lower than optimum resolution. But FEAR is just about my only problem child, everything else runs reasonably well...

But I kinda want to drive it native and not worry about framerates..which I do with the 6800....of course gaming at non-native resolutions isn't too bad on my set...the more pixels you have in a display, the less scaling looks "fugly".

Ah well, I might wait for the 590's just to see what they bring to the table.

PS: HDTV versus Monitor resolution? there's no difference in a flatpanel display. A 16:9 TV is just a monitor with a tuner slapped on it. You guys with 16:10 displays have it a little rougher, as you have to drive 1920x1200.

Yea, if I wanted to run my E6400 at 2.4 ghz I'm be happy with an Nforce to lol. But I'm much happier at 3.2. Now put that speed difference in the equasion of SLI vs Crossfire and see who comes out on top. Not to mention turn on AA or AF and see what happens.

A single x1900 512 will handle you for 1080p just fine for now. Its considerbly faster than a 6800. This with the P5B Deluxe and any C2D chip that suits your fancy is going to kill any game you throw at it.

HeadRusch said:
PS: HDTV versus Monitor resolution? there's no difference in a flatpanel display. A 16:9 TV is just a monitor with a tuner slapped on it. You guys with 16:10 displays have it a little rougher, as you have to drive 1920x1200.

YES.. monitor res's come MUCH higher then 1920 check the max res on a dell 30" LCD for example..
the res your pushing isnt that harsh right now for any game other then Oblivion or CRYSIS.. and the X1950 should take care of that :p

Back