• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the lowest speed cpu that windows xp can run on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've seen XP installed on some pretty pedestrian boxes at work. Mostly P4 & P3 with a smattering of P2s and slow Celerons.
Someone posted on another forum they installed XP on a dual Pentium Pro 200MHz machine with 256MB of memory. The duallies effectively equal a 360MHz single processor as XP is SMP.
I might try that on my PPro200 using XPlite if I get real bored.

I know win ME your required to have atleast a 500mhz cpu & she only had a 400mhz, so I let it go.

Wrong

IIRC, XP won't let you install onto less than a 3GB partition. Causes lots of problems with its requirements.

Wrong

Win ME requires 150mhz or more, and setup can be told to ignore the requirement.

XP installs just fine on partitions less than 3GB. My backup installation is on a 2GB, and takes up a little over 1GB.

Installed XP on a 300mhz (turbo on) k6 with 384mb of ram. It was the ram that really made it possible. It runs about on par with a 2.5ghz celeron I have here that has only 128mb ram.

benbaked said:
amd's rating system for the athlons was initially based upon performance relative to a thunderbird.

It probably was a comparison to a Pentium 4, because the Athlon XP I believe was only around 10 or around 20 percent faster than an Athlon T-bird at the same clock speed.

Clock per clock, even with the T-bird it's probably almost always faster than a Pentium 4, because Pentium 4s have longer pipelines than Athlons.

I believe this is a known fact, because of the long-pipeline architecture, Pentium 4s require a higher frequency than an Athlon for the same processor speed, example, a Pentium 4 requires 3.0 ghz to do the same amount of calculations as an Athlon XP at 2.0 ghz!

I think where the Pentium 4 shines is the memory bandwidth. It depends on the application.

The Athlon, even the Athlon XP shines with games that use heavy calculations. I believe this is why Athlons are preferred with gaming and why Pentium 4s are preferred for non-gaming applications.

AMD is denying that to avoid getting sued by Intel.

Last edited:
I installed XP on an old Compaq LTE laptop with a pentium 133mhz and 96mb of ram just to see if i could. It started and ran, but even with the eye candy turned off, it was pretty much unusable. I ran windows 2000 on it normally and that ran great.

I'm using XP right now on a P3 450mhz dekstop with 320mb ram (my grandmothers), it runs just fine on it with the eye candy enabled. Well, it runs good when it has a decent video card, right now it's a Radeon 7500 /w 64mb ram. Before the p3, this case had a k6-2 450mhz with 256mb ram. It ran fine on that also.

or school last year put it on one of the computer labs w/ 333mhz PII's and it ran OK... the novell login just took 15 minutes to load after startup ROFL

i had it one a AMD K6 2 with 128meg of ram for a little while could of tried 64meg ram but... couldnt be botherd it was sluggish lol but i didt turn the eye candy off :p

Back